Coronavirus (Football Thread)

On 12/27/2021 at 7:07 PM, aberdeen1970 said:

The 'bias' against football is something I've said for years. The Scottish parliament is filled with middle class feminists and gays with no interest in football and a snooty disdain for football fans.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

The 'bias' against football is something I've said for years. The Scottish parliament is filled with middle class feminists and gays with no interest in football and a snooty disdain for football fans.

Although it's still mostly filled with men who prefer rugby, the real crime. 

Harsh to blame the women and gays. 

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Limits apply to all events. Gigs and Rugby under the same restrictions as football. 

Football fans do often get treated like shit but the comments in here that it's being given special harder treatment in regards to Covid is nonsense. 

Rugby isn't the lifeblood that football is, generally speaking. Gigs are normally indoors, so that makes sense, at least. 

The fact is I could've went to Union Square last week and been rammed in with a few thousand folk but only 500 of us were allowed to attend an outdoor match at a stadium that holds 20,000. If her argument was to stop congregation at pubs etc, that might make sense, but they are still open and most won't be giving a fuck about the 'rules' because of the farce they've had to endure. 

There is no evidence that spreads are happening at the football. Swinney more or less confirmed it was simply a deterrent for people to know how serious they are. How can we go from 'it doesn't spread outside' to, "actually, despite the mildness of the variant and the generally solid vax uptake, you can't go to a football ground with more than 500 folk." 

Omicron is proving to not be as bad as first feared, and if she was semi competent she'd review the restrictions sooner than the allotted time frame she set out. 

It won't happen. 

We won't have Pittodrie back to half capacity even by Valentine's Day, I think. 

5 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Rugby isn't the lifeblood that football is, generally speaking. Gigs are normally indoors, so that makes sense, at least. 

The fact is I could've went to Union Square last week and been rammed in with a few thousand folk but only 500 of us were allowed to attend an outdoor match at a stadium that holds 20,000. If her argument was to stop congregation at pubs etc, that might make sense, but they are still open and most won't be giving a fuck about the 'rules' because of the farce they've had to endure. 

There is no evidence that spreads are happening at the football. Swinney more or less confirmed it was simply a deterrent for people to know how serious they are. How can we go from 'it doesn't spread outside' to, "actually, despite the mildness of the variant and the generally solid vax uptake, you can't go to a football ground with more than 500 folk." 

Omicron is proving to not be as bad as first feared, and if she was semi competent she'd review the restrictions sooner than the allotted time frame she set out. 

It won't happen. 

4 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

In short, fuck the neolib, grannying cunt that is Nicola Sturgeon and her cronies. 

Well put, Consi. 

12 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

It won't happen. 

So none of it is a special attack on football, like is being claimed.

Glad we agree. 

13 minutes ago, Parklife said:

So none of it is a special attack on football, like is being claimed.

Glad we agree. 

How isn't it? 

Why can I go to a shopping centre full of thousands, indoor, poorly ventilated, stand in queues etc etc, but I can't go to a football stadium outside, very well ventilated, with maximum space for social distancing? 

Why are other businesses that aren't football clubs, businesses where you'll be able to catch COVID more easily (ie shops, pubs etc) not being punished in the same way? 

Why is there the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act? 

Why can I get charged for saying something at a football match, that wouldn't get me charged in day to day life?

If you think there isn't either a total lack of care for what happens to football, or a deliberate act to shaft football fans in particular (both malicious) then I'm not sure what you're seeing. 

Edit; 

If you don't want to say it's an attack on football, you can surely argue it's an attack on the culture and sport in general? 

No gigs, no sporting events etc but by the love of fuck please CONSUME as many products as possible to keep the economy propped up in as many indoor places as you like, all at the same time! 

It's a nonsense. 

When you attend football matches, gigs etc, you can be asked for proof of vaccination, that doesn't happen entering massive shopping centres/supermarkets. 

Here, football fans, we've no evidence that outdoor matches cause spreads but because cases are rising (not hospitalisations) we're gonna take away this thing you like to do with little to no regard for the wider impact on local communities. 

Should you wish to go and buy some of the latest items at TK Maxx, Topshop, The North Face, Greggs, and all the rest, we don't have any issues with that, despite us originally saying that it was more dangerous indoors than outdoors. 

We don't know what we know now. All we know is we can't have football fans attending matches for the safety of our nation! 

Just now, Parklife said:

Because large scale events (like rugby and gigs) are operating under the same rules. 

Pretty simple. 

Its shite and I'd have liked to have a bit more rationale behind it I.e. %age of capacity or something but football isn't being singled out. 

Gigs in Winter in Scotland will be 100% indoors, that makes at least some sense. 

I couldn't give a fuck about the rugby, to be honest, it doesn't get anywhere near the attendance nor does it have the same importance as football in this country. 

There is no rationale. This is why it appears football is being singled out, it's the most popular sport in the country by miles and we're being locked out due to an overreaction. 

500 at Gayfield 

500 at Celtic Park 

500 at Tynecastle 

Why? That doesn't make sense? Why are so many fans being locked out when common sense could be applied. 

It's because they either know fine well what they are doing, or, they literally don't give a fuck how this is going to work for clubs and wouldn't be arsed if many went to the wall. 

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Because large scale events (like rugby and gigs) are operating under the same rules. 

Pretty simple. 

Its shite and I'd have liked to have a bit more rationale behind it I.e. %age of capacity or something but football isn't being singled out. 

Large scale events being rugby and gigs. 

Gigs are indoors, and hardly any cunt cares about club rugby. 

Next. 

You can't compare rugby and football. Rugby isn't really large scale. 

Rugby is watched by hundreds in most cases (of posh folk/the privately educated - fucking awful sport). 

Football is watched by thousands on a weekly basis 

Its maybe not singling anything out it just seems hospitality and foot all get hammered more than most. 

Away for a pint (table service and 1m apart) 

2 minutes ago, Zeus said:

You can't compare rugby and football. Rugby isn't really large scale. 

Rugby is watched by hundreds in most cases (of posh folk/the privately educated - fucking awful sport). 

Football is watched by thousands on a weekly basis 

Its maybe not singling anything out it just seems hospitality and foot all get hammered more than most. 

Away for a pint (table service and 1m apart) 

I've never met someone who played rugby who isn't a total arsehole 

36 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Gigs in Winter in Scotland will be 100% indoors, that makes at least some sense. 

I couldn't give a fuck about the rugby, to be honest, it doesn't get anywhere near the attendance nor does it have the same importance as football in this country. 

There is no rationale. This is why it appears football is being singled out, it's the most popular sport in the country by miles and we're being locked out due to an overreaction. 

500 at Gayfield 

500 at Celtic Park 

500 at Tynecastle 

Why? That doesn't make sense? Why are so many fans being locked out when common sense could be applied. 

It's because they either know fine well what they are doing, or, they literally don't give a fuck how this is going to work for clubs and wouldn't be arsed if many went to the wall. 

So football isn't being singled out. Glad we agree. 

Problem with some grounds in UK football isn't inside them but outside.

Packed trains and buses before and after the game is an issue, with most folk not covered up.

I would have like to have seen 25% capacity down here, and perhaps that would have been a fair compromise in Scotland than the silly only 500 allowed rule. 

Aberdeen City 465 cases per 100,000, average in Scotland is 741.

Hackney and City of London : 2,163, average in England is 1,109.

18 minutes ago, Parklife said:

So football isn't being singled out. Glad we agree. 

Sure is when you consider the nuances.

Not if you strictly look at the limitations