Former Celtic and Rangers midfielder Liam Burt is at Pittodrie for Aberdeen’s Premiership clash with Hamilton this evening as he continues his hunt for a club.

The 21-year-old is in attendance as a guest of Aberdeen after leaving the Hoops in the summer.

Burt had been training with Barnsley last month - scoring three times in friendlies against Sheffield Wednesday and Derby - but The Tykes decided against a deal. He also had a short stint on trial at Sunderland.

• Downvote 1
1 minute ago, CalgaryDon said:

Hopefully Ojo is on his way out. He's been terrible for us. Also what does this mean for Dean Campbell.

Ojo won't be going anywhere. He is on a decent wage and still got another 18 months.

Dean Campbell will still be here for many years but might go out on loan for 6 months after he recovers from the injury for.

Just a guess on my part here but my money would be on it just being the case that its just his agent has asked us if he could train with us in the short term and we are allowing it similar to what we did with Tony Watt a few years back.

On Burt, McInnes revealed the Scotland U-21 cap will train with the development squad in the coming days after watching on from the stands tonight.

The manager said: “We just invited Liam to come and train. He will train with the development squad over the next few days and we will have a look at him.

“Because we knew we had a couple of practice matches coming up we thought it was a chance to get him in to have a look and for him to have a look at us.

“It’s no more than that.’

I know nothing about him as a player. Do we need him right now? 

I'd be wary of the fact that he's flip-flopped between both arse cheeks, has gone down South on trial but both clubs mentioned in that article haven't signed him up. Especially after scoring a couple of times in trial matches for one of them. He must have shown up well in that game but something has still stopped them not offering a deal of any kind. 

Just now, Tord31 said:

0 games for Celtic

3 games for Rangers

9 for Alloa

13 for Dumbarton

Makes Tommie Hoban look like Willie Miller

Aye, that's not a lot for a 21 year old. 

Also shows the folly of signing for Celtic or Huns as a youth for most youngsters.  They're better off going somewhere else that will offer realistic first team opportunities.  Such as Hamilton. 

11 hours ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

Ojo won't be going anywhere. He is on a decent wage and still got another 18 months.

Dean Campbell will still be here for many years but might go out on loan for 6 months after he recovers from the injury for.

Just a guess on my part here but my money would be on it just being the case that its just his agent has asked us if he could train with us in the short term and we are allowing it similar to what we did with Tony Watt a few years back.

If it were just for that then why have the loon training with us? 150 odd miles from his home when there are numerous clubs within 20 miles of the Weeg that he could train at and still be in his own bed at night , rather than a hotel. Partick Thistle? Falkirk? Ayr United? All far more realistic places for him as possible new clubs too....but if his agent rates him as better than that then Hamilton, M/well or Killie surely?

No I'm sure this has our own scouts' fingerprints all over it. But as others have said...he's 21 (and actually not far off 22). By that age you'd expect him to be close to being the finished article...but he's played so little first team football that he's nowhere near that. There are a few late developers of course, like the boy Pittman at Livi...but they're generally few and far between. My worry is that we are seriously considering him as a possible replacement for one of our midfielders. If it was to be Ferguson I'd be horrified. Ojo I could live with (but I'm sure Burt is an attacking midfielder not defensive).

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

If it were just for that then why have the loon training with us? 150 odd miles from his home when there are numerous clubs within 20 miles of the Weeg that he could train at and still be in his own bed at night , rather than a hotel. Partick Thistle? Falkirk? Ayr United? All far more realistic places for him as possible new clubs too....but if his agent rates him as better than that then Hamilton, M/well or Killie surely?

No I'm sure this has our own scouts' fingerprints all over it. But as others have said...he's 21 (and actually not far off 22). By that age you'd expect him to be close to being the finished article...but he's played so little first team football that he's nowhere near that. There are a few late developers of course, like the boy Pittman at Livi...but they're generally few and far between. My worry is that we are seriously considering him as a possible replacement for one of our midfielders. If it was to be Ferguson I'd be horrified. Ojo I could live with (but I'm sure Burt is an attacking midfielder not defensive).

Burt was really highly rated a few years ago.  The Huns were absolutely spewing when he left to sign for Celtic.  Sounds like he lost his way over the past few years... or maybe didn't get a chance.  Definitely 'worth a look'.

3 hours ago, GDON21 said:

He is good friends with a few of the players, sounds more like McInnes doing an agent a favour if you ask me. Get his name out in the paper that he is on trial with us in the hope maybe a St Mirren or Killie offer him a deal. 

Nick Blackman, anyone?

Who was the second guy we signed, in order to secure Blackman? Myles Anderson, was it?

On 10/20/2020 at 2:28 PM, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

He deserves to start ahead of Ojo.

With him being young he is inconsistent at times but he has shown a lot of potential. I think he could develop into the same calibre of player as we are seeing with McCrorie and Fergie. If McInnes doesn't feel he's quite ready for the current first team then I hope he gets a loan deal to help him along with his development.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
11 hours ago, CalgaryDon said:

He deserves to start ahead of Ojo.

With him being young he is inconsistent at times but he has shown a lot of potential. I think he could develop into the same calibre of player as we are seeing with McCrorie and Fergie. If McInnes doesn't feel he's quite ready for the current first team then I hope he gets a loan deal to help him along with his development.

Campbell can actually find a man with a pass. Ojo seems to struggle with that general premise at times. 

6 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Ojo didn't cover himself in too much glory last season but he looks like he's lost it completely this season.

Probably lost a lot of confidence. Not playing well, a number of midfielders ahead of him, McInnes looking at other midfielders as well. Maybe he's just actually shite though, who knows. McInnes, probably.