Ebbe Skovdahl

Best childhood memory of Ebbes team was when we beat Celtic 2-0 just before Christmas in 2001.

Beating arguably Celtics best ever team in recent memory (reckon O'Neills team would beat any of Brenda's teams).

Dadi's turning Balde inside out.

Pelting snowballs from the Y aff Petrov and Thompson

Rab Douglas getting tackled by Mackie sealing the win.

Caterpillar celebration. 

Wonder how this team would get on against our current team. 

Kjaer

Anderson Whyte McGuire McAllister 

Guntveit Bisconti Darren Young Thornley

Dadi         Derek Young

• Upvote 1

A strange time in many ways. He took over just as we (with most other clubs) decided to cut budgets right back.

Some utter shit shows and some shocking results BUT always a likeable bloke who also gave us some good times results wise and did have the support right behind him.

I always fondly remember the game at dens park when we were 2 down at half time. Ketsbaia was winding us up on the way off .. second half a fight back and a 3 2 win. Im sure including a goal from the famous corner routine.

Not the most successful time by any means (although a 4th place finish and some great runs of form etc did occur) but fun times with a very likeable manager. 

RIP Ebbe

8 hours ago, Tyzo_1903 said:

Best childhood memory of Ebbes team was when we beat Celtic 2-0 just before Christmas in 2001.

Beating arguably Celtics best ever team in recent memory (reckon O'Neills team would beat any of Brenda's teams).

Caterpillar celebration. 

Kjaer

Dadi         Derek Young

Our current team would slaughter them. 

Kjaer and Anderson (at CB) the only 2 there is take I think. Maybe Dadi as well if we needed someone to try something different off the bench. 

I remember thinking Bisconti was a decent enough player at the time, but I was young and nowadays reckon I was probably wrong. Was he any use?

Anyway RIP Ebbe. My first real memories of going to Dons games were while he was in charge. The Celtic game with the snowballs, the 2 cup finals, the corner routines. I enjoyed going to games then, even though we weren’t very good.

16 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

Great Dane, RIP min.

Always a good laugh back then, some exciting players and he actually done pretty well considering his budget and some of the young shite he was working with. 

NINTCHDBPICT000536074229-e1572807808559.

nintchdbpict000002535780.jpg?crop=0px,13

Two Great Danes.

Spoke to Ebbe a few minutes before the kick-off to the league cup final against the tims in 2000 and asked him for his thoughts on our chances of beating them. His answer, with a cheeky smile, was "we have no chance." He wasn't wrong.

Got to admire his honesty and character. RIP, Ebbe. 

7 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Kjaer and Anderson (at CB) the only 2 there is take I think. Maybe Dadi as well if we needed someone to try something different off the bench. 

I remember thinking Bisconti was a decent enough player at the time, but I was young and nowadays reckon I was probably wrong. Was he any use?

Anyway RIP Ebbe. My first real memories of going to Dons games were while he was in charge. The Celtic game with the snowballs, the 2 cup finals, the corner routines. I enjoyed going to games then, even though we weren’t very good.

Roberto Bisconti was an ordinary player in a poor Aberdeen side. He became even more ordinary when trying to hold the club to ransom in the summer of 2002 when wanting to get an extra £1000 per week, and going AWOL when not getting his own way. Very poor form 

Was manager when I first started following dons.  Always held him in great regard, and seems most of us did too.  Think John  Mcruvie used to do a mock interview with him on his Saturday morning show before games

Speaking of Bisconti, did he not end up on the run from police too like Belabed?

26 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

NINTCHDBPICT000536074229-e1572807808559.

nintchdbpict000002535780.jpg?crop=0px,13

Two Great Danes.

Spoke to Ebbe a few minutes before the kick-off to the league cup final against the tims in 2000 and asked him for his thoughts on our chances of beating them. His answer, with a cheeky smile, was "we have no chance." He wasn't wrong.

Got to admire his honesty and character. RIP, Ebbe. 

If McInnes said we have no chance against Celtic next week i doubt many people would be admiring his honesty..

• Upvote 1

I started following Aberdeen as a kid when Ebbe was just appointed manager. Went to both the cup finals with my Dad and Bro.

We saw Ebbe's Aberdeen side a fair number of times and only once saw them lose (away to Hearts in the league - I remember it being Ben Thornley's Aberdeen debut).

He also signed Hicham Zerouali who fast became my favourite player during that time.

RIP Ebbe

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, Ramandu said:

Say it ain't so? I had in my head that he was something special, but maybe it was just compared to those around him. Next you'll be telling me that Marcus Heikenan was rubbish too.

Markus Heikkinen was a class act. In my opinion, a far better player than Bisconti. Heikkinem arguably played in a worse Aberdeen team than Bisconti in his first season with the club but when Scott Severin and Derek Adams signed for Aberdeen in Heikkinen's second and final season, things started improving. 

1 hour ago, Durrant Dived said:

If McInnes said we have no chance against Celtic next week i doubt many people would be admiring his honesty..

Fair point min. Difference is though Ebbe Skovdahl was right, regardless of it being defeatist and pessimistic but realistic, as his teams collectively were shite, whilst Derek Mcinnes has assembled a very good squad. 

A couple of 7-0 thrashings, along with a 6-0 humping, a 5-1 hiding and a 5-0 defeat against the kiddy fiddling facilitators during Skovdahl's tenure backs that up. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, The Hawk said:

Was manager when I first started following dons.  Always held him in great regard, and seems most of us did too.  Think John  Mcruvie used to do a mock interview with him on his Saturday morning show before games

Speaking of Bisconti, did he not end up on the run from police too like Belabed?

Bloody foreigners

14 hours ago, Tyzo_1903 said:

Caterpillar celebration. 

Kjaer

Dadi         Derek Young

Would be a cricket score to our current team.

So many heartfelt message for Ebbe, and richly deserved.

It’s strange that he can command such devotion from his time here, when the team were so poor, but as has already been said, his budget, and the quality of our development players, all conspired against him.  He was unlike any other manager in the league at the time: instantly likeable. He was the uncle that everyone wanted.

I’m enjoying reading everyone’s recollections of special brew in the morning and the corner kick routine that I had forgot about.  Did he not also introduce mattresses to Pittodrie for afternoon naps?

Uncle Ebbe. Legend.

RIP indeed.

A lot of accurate points about his first season (though he inherited an absolute shambles) and despite an improvement after the new year, culminating in the cup finals, it was too little too late. 

That said, the second season was a drastic improvement and only a Livingston team spending way beyond their means (for which they later paid an ultimate price) kept us from third. It was also a credit to him that we took a good Bundesliga side to the last minute in Europe after that, but the problem was lack of consistency, really. 

It should be remembered that he walked away because, by his own admission, he couldn't take us any further... with the constraints he worked under. I can only wonder what may have been, if he'd had the kind of financial backing that was squandered on the Aitken and Burkinshaw era, for instance. 

We'll never know, but at least he acquitted himself well throughout and his record with Brondby shows he was a far superior football manager than his record with us suggested - and far better than most of the dross we've had since the Smith/Scott double act.

• Upvote 1