Andy Considine

4 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

Only worrying thing for me is if Goodwin is telling these lads now that their time is up, we still have 6 games to go, in which he’ll need some of these players. 

Seem to remember Terry Butcher doing this with Hibs in the season he defied mathematics and got them relegated.

2 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

I think it’s penny pinching by Cormack in all honesty. I very much doubt Considine would be asking too much but would want a second testimonial & possibly allowed to do coaching in some form at club & that was probably the sticking point

I would call it cost management rather than penny pinching. AFC and Goodwin have tight budgets to work with. If Goodwin thinks Considine would be an expensive bench warmer and his wages would be better spent on someone else, that is not penny pinching. 
Andy has been a great servant to AFC, but we have allowed him a decent lifestyle as well. Hopefully Considine gets on the pitch before the end of the season and gets a proper send off. 

• Upvote 4
2 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

I think it’s penny pinching by Cormack in all honesty. I very much doubt Considine would be asking too much but would want a second testimonial & possibly allowed to do coaching in some form at club & that was probably the sticking point

Disagree totally. 

If Considine is wanting a 2 year contract, the club are 100% right to let him go. 

Some of the reactions on-line to this sensible decision are embarrassing.

• Upvote 4

He'll not want to uproot his family, so it'll be retirement or a move close to home. Cove Rangers, Dundee or one of the Angus clubs maybe...

I've no issue with this to be honest. I'm not sure a coaching role is the issue. It'll be purely down to age and the question 'can his wage be put towards somebody younger, fitter, hungrier and more talented'.

He has indeed been a great servant to the club. I've joined in with the King Consi chat etc, but his emergence as a cult figure within the fan base has come at a time when the clubs form has been on a downward trajectory. Let's not forget what went before. He was always slow and had the turning circle of an oil tanker. He's done extremely well to remain here as long as he has and let's be honest has always been a filler in at left back or centre back. It's been due to lack of options that he's wracked up the appearances. 

Thanks for the memories, and I wish you well in fitever you do.

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Disagree totally. 

If Considine is wanting a 2 year contract, the club are 100% right to let him go. 

Some of the reactions on-line to this sensible decision are embarrassing.

I very much doubt he is insisting on a two year deal at his age & just back from serious injury. Especially when he agreed to just a one year deal last time around when full fit. 
Maybe they only offered 6 months (like Devlin) but he wanted a year. 

8 hours ago, Tommy said:

No room for sentiment. 35 year old just back after a serious injury and apparently wanting a better deal than has been offered. Club correctly withdraws offer.

100% agree with this

Anyone wanting to keep him for purely sentimental value need there head looked at. Great servant to the club but no way should he be dictating what contract he gets coming off the back of a bad injury when he's in his mid 30's.

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

The length of contract was what Richard Gordon alluded to at the weekend. Surely Andy didn’t expect a 2 yr offer, at his age? Or unless we only offered him a 6 month deal? 

Interesting where he goes from here. A relegated Dundee, maybe?

Either way, Goodwin is not fucking about, as previous managers would have. I read in todays papers that he has 15 yr old Alfie Bavidge training with the 1st team; Dylan Lobban, Kevin Hanratty and Ryan Duncan too so he’s keen on introducing youth into the side and getting the average age down. 

Andy’s been a great servant to AFC but time for him to go. Only worrying thing for me is if Goodwin is telling these lads now that their time is up, we still have 6 games to go, in which he’ll need some of these players. 

Maybe a pay as you play deal, and Goodwin had said he would only be a squad player? 

As you say though, Goodwin not fucking about, letting some of the youngsters train with the first team, getting rid of the deadwood etc. We all wanted a manager not scared to change the status quo, well, he’s recognised where he wants to change things, and gone for it.

I’m all for it, as something had to give considering where we are in terms of wage thieves and dross in our club, and where we sit in the league.

15 minutes ago, minijc said:

Apparently the club is losing it's "soul spirit and tradition" by not giving a 35 year old player with half a knee a new contract.

Love him or hate him (as you do) had he been fit this season we would have scored more goals & most like conceded less than the pish that has covered in LH.

I reckon a fit Considine this season & we would likely have been secure in top 6 now not needing another result in our favour going into this game. He would have been worth a couple more points than the shite that have tried 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Bobby Clark calling in a favour with Cormack, didn’t want him surpassing his appearances 

Doubt he was being greedy given his injury. 
More likely club wanted to base his contract on his injury/appearances which is certainly what they should do to players like Devlin but to do this to such a long Serving player like Considine is poor by club. Doing his coaching badges as well. 

rolling one year deals with assisting Robson coaching youths should be offered.

This is very much a cost cutting/penny pinching exercise after all the cash spunked on shite for/by Glass & they don’t want Considine getting near a second testimonial (which was possibly the main sticking point) 

So you know nothing about whats happening but can still concoct some fabrication that sounds delusional ?

No wonder very little people take what you say on here seriously after reading that pish

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Love him or hate him (as you do) had he been fit this season we would have scored more goals & most like conceded less than the pish that has covered in LH.

I reckon a fit Considine this season & we would likely have been secure in top 6 now not needing another result in our favour going into this game. He would have been worth a couple more points than the shite that have tried 

I don't hate him and you do not know if that would be the case, conveniently forgetting all of the times he has cost us goals over the years as well.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, minijc said:

I don't hate him and you do not know if that would be the case, conveniently forgetting all of the times he has cost us goals over the years as well.

Not forgetting anything but he’s also gained us plenty wins & draws & I doubt he would have cost us as much as Gallagher/Bates/McCrorie have in defence this season. 
Last few seasons Considine has been gaining us more points than he was losing us. Cannot say same this season about those we have (in defence) especially Gallagher/Bates

2 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Not forgetting anything but he’s also gained us plenty wins & draws & I doubt he would have cost us as much as Gallagher/Bates/McCrorie have in defence this season. 
Last few seasons Considine has been gaining us more points than he was losing us. Cannot say same this season about those we have (in defence) especially Gallagher/Bates

It's guess work.

7 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

Ojo, McGeouch & Consi coming off the books. That’s three of our highest earners. 

Having that sort of budget freed up this summer gives Goodwin huge scope.

Add to that Brown and probably Rameriz and that must be the guts of £20 - £25K a week??? Ten Caat can confirm but thats a hoora wages for new players if used sensibly. 

51 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

He'll not want to uproot his family, so it'll be retirement or a move close to home. Cove Rangers, Dundee or one of the Angus clubs maybe...

I've no issue with this to be honest. I'm not sure a coaching role is the issue. It'll be purely down to age and the question 'can his wage be put towards somebody younger, fitter, hungrier and more talented'.

He has indeed been a great servant to the club. I've joined in with the King Consi chat etc, but his emergence as a cult figure within the fan base has come at a time when the clubs form has been on a downward trajectory. Let's not forget what went before. He was always slow and had the turning circle of an oil tanker. He's done extremely well to remain here as long as he has and let's be honest has always been a filler in at left back or centre back. It's been due to lack of options that he's wracked up the appearances. 

Thanks for the memories, and I wish you well in fitever you do.

All effectively true. However, there's no central defenders better than him at the club presently.

Just giving himself even more of a bigger recruitment job in the summer than he already has. Considine is a realistic squad player that can do a job.

4 minutes ago, RAZOR said:

All effectively true. However, there's no central defenders better than him at the club presently.

Just giving himself even more of a bigger recruitment job in the summer than he already has. Considine is a realistic squad player that can do a job.

Can only hope the calibre of central defenders is improved on next season. And that doesn't mean Charles fucking Dunne.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

Holy moly. Twitter is awash with grown men lamenting the forthcoming departure of Considine. 

You'd think it was peak Nesta or Canavarro we were letting go.

What a state some are getting in.

It shows how far the club has fallen, the love in for him over the last 5 years has been embarrassing, constantly cost us in games, there was a run of semi finals and finals where he sold the shirt massively as well.

• Upvote 6