Andy Considine

26 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

* Being a first team player for 18+ years (regardless of quality) is actually pretty exceptional. All about perspective because your view would mean that lesser sides are not allowed to have ‘legends’ as players.

** As I said earlier, JG is a St Mirren legend but he wouldn’t meet your version of what is deemed a legend.

*** Your view would mean that no Aberdeen player can ever be a legend as there is no chance he could ever achieve close to that of those under Fergie 

* I'm trying to think how that conversation might go, though. Here's Andy Considine, a club legend. How so? He was at the club for a relatively long time.  From what I can remember, and admittedly my memory isn't all it was since the smack on the heid a couple of weeks back, it's not like he was knocking back offers from other clubs in order to remain at Aberdeen. And since 'legend' is relative to the club and its expectations, then of course lesser clubs can have legends. An 'exceptional' Cove Rangers player might become a Cove Rangers legend, but what's exceptional at Cove Rangers would be barely passable at Aberdeen. Doesn't in any way prevent Cove having its own legends. 

** He's a legend, presumably, by St Mirren standards. I wouldn't know what they deem 'legendary'. Maybe hanging around St Mirren for a long time is what makes a St Mirren legend. Maybe it's scoring a goal against Celtic that makes them a legend. Can't speak to their standards. 

*** Not entirely true. Jess was an exceptional player, Gillhaus was an exceptional player, I wouldn't argue against either of them being considered legends. 

Put it this way... Fergie was with us for about 8 years, McInnes was with us for roughly the same length of time. If time served is any measure of legendary status then McInnes would be as much entitled to be called a 'Legendary Aberdeen Manager' as Alex Ferguson... and I think we can both agree that anyone trying to claim as much should get kicked the FULL length of Union Street. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, thurso said:

If you won a trophy for Aberdeen your a legend in my book. 

Hi Jamie Langfield 

edit, this just reminded me that I was once in the minky dundee shopping mall  and there was a stall with football photo tat. Like aerial views of the two dundee grounds etc. there was a dundee legends frame with three individual photos in it. Langfield was in the middle. 

Considine will quite rightly take his place in the AFC hall of fame eventually, primarily due to the amount of appearances.  I think he deserves that.  Lots of great memories but unfortunately same amount if not more shit ones.

No word on his injury but i'd bet he may retire and go coaching badges.  Either way i wish him all the very best.  Who knows he may pop up partnering Big Ash again next season.

8 hours ago, 1983 said:

Yes. Subconsciously, your little woke mind can’t handle the fact you’ve not seen a legend, hence why you find it hard to define or identify a true legend, but because you’re so entitled, you can’t accept it’s not within your gift to judge. Demonstrated when the best you can come up with is that Andy Considine is a legend because he played 541 times for the club.

It’s quite complex, but with hindsight, you’ll reflect in 10 years and admit I’m right.

Carry on.

How can it be a fact that he's not a legend? It's a matter of opinion. 

My supposed entitlement means I don't have the gift to identify a legend? Where as you, naturally do? 

What's me being supposedly "woke" got to do with that opinion as well? 

This is the most insane pile of nonsense I think I've read here on the football part of this forum. 

? made yourself look a right div

4 hours ago, Redmist1903 said:

Because he's been involved in any embarrassing shit show and all time lows the club have encountered the last 20 years. He's played to an acceptable level in about a quarter of his time with us.

On the flip side been involved in all the great moments of the last 20 years. 

8 hours ago, CCB III said:

Dumb as fuck sentence, that. 

It's "woke" and "entitled" to argue a guy who's made 541 appearances for a football club is a legend. 

Words don't mean anything anymore, just whatever Internet people say they mean. 

You can disagree that he's a legend, I have a different opinion. Framing it as a result of people being more socially conscious is truly the dumbest thing I've read on here. That takes some doing. So, fair play. 

Well that response is the definition of woke . Yes everyone is entitled to an opinion it’s just yours is not based on a reasonable assessment of the facts presented on both sides of the argument. Would it be too hard for you to accept that just might make you wrong ?

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, Kilgore Trout said:

Well that response is the definition of woke . Yes everyone is entitled to an opinion it’s just yours is not based on a reasonable assessment of the facts presented on both sides of the argument. Would it be too hard for you to accept that just might make you wrong ?

That response isn't the definition of woke. That's not what it means. It's a "reasonable assessment of the facts" to understand that the word doesn't mean what you think it means. Tripped yourself up already. 

Mines is entirely based on "reasonable assessment of the facts" Fact is I didn't see the legends of the 90's, 80's, 70's. So, in a modern context, for a guy to play 541 games for Aberdeen, win a trophy, be a part of a side that got to European knockout stages, is undoubtedly a legend to me, and many others around my age. 

How can someone be wrong on a matter of opinion? Is there a set in stone qualifier for what makes an AFC legend? No, there isn't. It's not quantifiable, it's pure opinion. 

1983 is not wrong, I'm not wrong, I'll assert my position/opinion on it, but I'm not slagging anyone off for not agreeing with me ?

Mmm yes, very woke of you to disagree with me there, very woke of you indeed. 

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, Bamber said:

who now is the most senior afc bred player? Looking at the full match day squad I would guess McLennan followed by Mackenzie  c’mon  how we encouraging the youngsters then have a career with AFC 

I think if you want to encourage young players to come to Aberdeen you wouldn't be using Considine, who's probably going to have to look for a new full time career as soon as his football one is over. You are surely going to point them towards Scott McKenna, Ryan Fraser, Ryan J....nah..... Sc...nah.... and soon Calvin Ramsay. Even the likes of Jack Grimmer has probably raked in more money than Considine.

3 hours ago, Simply Red said:

Heard it all now.

You clearly didnt see Gillhaus play did you.

Admittedly I didn’t see him much as he was only with us for 3 years but I did see him play.
As I said he was a brilliant player in a good team and is probably one of my favourite player from that time but I don’t know he would be classed as a legend and Considine wouldn’t be. Is it just because he was a far better player that gives him legend status 

Mark Noble has just left West Ham after a similar amount of years and appearances. Won no trophies. Was promoted twice via play-off but didn't win a trophy outwith that. He's being called a legend. It's subjective to the individual.

I don't fully agree with the statement of he was only here because nobody wanted him. People at Aberdeen FC obviously did, or his contract would not have been extended time after time. The most recent time he won player of the year I thought it was merited too.

Legend? Meh? He's won the only trophy I've seen us win, so that counts for something. A decent lad who loves the club, farewell to him.

2 hours ago, CCB III said:

Woke definition to normal people

'alert to racial prejudice and discrimination' 

woke definition to eejits online; 

"Saying a player is a legend and I don't agree with it"

?

?

The blue haired brigade are anything but "normal"

9 hours ago, Ke1t said:

* I'm trying to think how that conversation might go, though. Here's Andy Considine, a club legend. How so? He was at the club for a relatively long time.  From what I can remember, and admittedly my memory isn't all it was since the smack on the heid a couple of weeks back, it's not like he was knocking back offers from other clubs in order to remain at Aberdeen. And since 'legend' is relative to the club and its expectations, then of course lesser clubs can have legends. An 'exceptional' Cove Rangers player might become a Cove Rangers legend, but what's exceptional at Cove Rangers would be barely passable at Aberdeen. Doesn't in any way prevent Cove having its own legends. 

** He's a legend, presumably, by St Mirren standards. I wouldn't know what they deem 'legendary'. Maybe hanging around St Mirren for a long time is what makes a St Mirren legend. Maybe it's scoring a goal against Celtic that makes them a legend. Can't speak to their standards. 

*** Not entirely true. Jess was an exceptional player, Gillhaus was an exceptional player, I wouldn't argue against either of them being considered legends. 

Put it this way... Fergie was with us for about 8 years, McInnes was with us for roughly the same length of time. If time served is any measure of legendary status then McInnes would be as much entitled to be called a 'Legendary Aberdeen Manager' as Alex Ferguson... and I think we can both agree that anyone trying to claim as much should get kicked the FULL length of Union Street. 

Would you call yourself an Aberdeen ‘fan’?

As in the true/literal meaning of what the term has been shortened from