Andy Considine

1 hour ago, zeroisgod76 said:

If they'd just 'removed the offer and thanked him for his service' that would have been fine. Instead they pushed a narrative that he and his agent had been greedy. There was no reason for that.

Why? There was a false narrative spreading that the club had to correct.

• Upvote 2

A remarkable amount o folk (especially on social media) getting in a tizzy about this.

The bloke is 35 and been injured for almost an entire season. We offered him a deal and he's rejected it. Thats it! Woopty fucking doo!

I'm not buying the "legend" pish or the fact he played his entire career thus far here. Aberdeen were as good as he was ever going to get. Its not like he turned down offeres from bigger clubs ffs.

Might end up at Cove and the beauts who refuse to pay by card and love the McInnes era can fuck off and watch Consi, Reynolds and Logan. 

Cheers Andy, bye Andy.

NEXT!

• Upvote 3

Seems he is being greedy and it backfired on him. Goodwin and AFC have handled it remarkably well, different story if it was a star striker in their prime but it’s not. Considine has been a bomb scare his whole career and dresses as a woman although it was pretty good when he scored a hat trick against Dundee not many defenders can say they have scored a hat trick and he scored a hat trick remember 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Redmist1903 said:

What major flaws in his game did you see that made you think he wouldn't offer more to the team going forward than a slow as fuck, ageing centre half coming back from a major knee injury who hasn't kicked a ball in the best part of a year?

Don't put words in my mouth bro! I never said anything about considine offering more than dunne. He's not even a regular at Mwell

Just now, manboobs109 said:

In reality he's never needed one though. The club will have looked after him.

It could be as simple as one of his mates working for them and taking him on or maybe they just approached him and he seen that it made sense, couple of other players at the club with the same agency too.

Doesn't matter if he was 'A great servant to the club'. He got paid for doing his job, and that's the end of the transaction. He's in his mid thirties, and was never a great player even at his peak.

Whether our defence would have been a little steadier with him in there this season is anybody's guess.

Reliable and consistently mediocre doesn't get my balls tingling, though.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, The D.O.C.1903 said:

And it all started with that shady cunt cormack! Hey maybe he'll stand outside pittodrie n hand out free tickets on sat? Nah no chance the tory voting cunt would do that. I think the yank wannabe should be hounded out our Club, and I also think once he's left' cormack Park should be renamed 

He may be Tory voting (I would like to know how you know he votes Republican) but he at least has put his hand in his pocket for the good of the club. Too many folk on here complain bitterly about Cormack not spending money yet they are too tight themselves to help increase the clubs coffers, the club they supposedly support. 

• Upvote 5
2 hours ago, thurso said:

Is it ten grand. I thought it was a lot less when the people I knew done it but if it is ok 

He's part way through it anyway. No idea if he self funded or if the club paid for it. No matter what, it's a relatively small outlay for the club even if they were funding the full course

Livi's assistant manager Marvin Bartley said he was on the coaching course with him yesterday on Clyde1. 

2 hours ago, Millertime said:

"Not a regular at motherwell" is an understatement and a half 

But I meant in his time I watched him flounder to become a regular there, any way its a pish standard unless as back up only. 

2 hours ago, Crashnyploshnit said:

He may be Tory voting (I would like to know how you know he votes Republican) but he at least has put his hand in his pocket for the good of the club. Too many folk on here complain bitterly about Cormack not spending money yet they are too tight themselves to help increase the clubs coffers, the club they supposedly support. 

I'm not one of the tight fisted I can assure you' I complain about him because I feel he's bad for the club overall and fan ownership would be the ideal thing. 

12 hours ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Maybe... just maybe some people aren't clever enough to understand. In NO job (footballer or not) would you just accept a potentially large wage cut without at least negotiating it. Its not that hard to understand.

Do some people genuinely think that as he's now 35 he should just have snapped their hand off at whatever amount they offered him?

The fact that the club have gone public on this... with vague references to finances has thrown Considine under the bus.

As has been pointed out the clubs claim of a 6 figure offer could simply be £2k a week. He may have previously been on £4k a week for all we know. Requesting a 50% increase on the offer would have taken it up to £3k a week which would still be a £52k a year wage cut. The club have cleverly worded it so that the idiots in our support think he was being greedy and after an extortionate amount of money when the likelihood is this wasn't the case.

You have no right to be speaking about idiots when you are comparing the career of a professional athlete to an office worker ? he’s 35 years old and has just missed an entire season. I doubt many clubs would be offering him a 2 year deal. Even Ryan giggs was only getting 1 year deals at Man U at that age. 

Considine has every right to ask for more money. Aberdeen have every right to say no and end negotiations based on that. There's nothing much more to it. 

fuck knows where he’ll end up. Think I recall a 33 or so year old Derek Whyte rejecting an extension with us and he ended up going to Partick for a season and getting relegated 

The leak was from ACs side so I really don’t know why the club is getting blamed for anything.  The outcome of the meeting between Goodwin and AC was that the club had withdrawn the offer and they would jointly announce it today.  Leak was either from his mates, sponsor or agent trying to amend their original fuck up. 
IMO  the club have done nothing wrong.   AC has been a great servant to the club but the club have been a great servant to him.   I have a feeling he will bitterly regret not accepting the original offer.

Would like to have seen Andy Considine play another season and then transition into the coaching set-up. Sadly it isn't to be.

Underrated player, taking this season in isolation, our defence took a massive hit when he suffered his injury. Bigger picture, i think he would have enjoyed more success and acclaim had he stayed at Centre Back. He was never a Left Back (by his own admission too), but he was willing to play where he was required and that should add to the appreciation for him. A player always about the team, not himself.

Regarding his departure, i can appreciate both sides. The player isn't wrong in wanting a longer contract and higher wage, the club isn't wrong in offering the opposite.

As far as the media games go, whoever leaked the story did no one any favours, least of all Andy. But i don't think Goodwin came out of this smelling of Roses either. His statement while not inaccurate chose to omit certain facts to paint a very specific picture and in failing to acknowledge Considine's contribution over the years, he showed a lack of class.

I suspect Goodwin never wanted him anyway. 

The date he got offered the new deal predated Goodwin's appointment so the counter offer gave him the ideal opportunity to withdraw the contract. 

At the end of the day it's the right decision, we need younger blood to kick start a new era, just a pity its ended up getting messy. 

• Upvote 1

"At the end of the day it's the right decision, we need younger blood to kick start a new era, just a pity its ended up getting messy."

Can't argue any of that. As long as we make the right signings, a parting of the ways is the right decision. Just wish it could have been handled better.

57 minutes ago, Jigsaw666 said:

Truth be told he'll be forgotten by the first match of next season. Doubt I'll be hearing "we should never have got rid of Considine" at any time thereafter regardless of our results.

There are still folk on twitter saying we shouldn’t have got rid of Logan for Brown last summer, so you can guarantee Considine won’t have been forgotten by everyone by next season

50 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I suspect Goodwin never wanted him anyway. 

The date he got offered the new deal predated Goodwin's appointment so the counter offer gave him the ideal opportunity to withdraw the contract. 

At the end of the day it's the right decision, we need younger blood to kick start a new era, just a pity its ended up getting messy. 

The lads on ABZ podcast made that point tonight. 
Goodwin was maybe doing the decent thing & knew “politically” how it would look if he withdrew the original 12 month offer made.

The agents counter offer of 2 years gave him the opportunity to remove it, & release Considine

All fine by me….strongly caveated with a no to Charles Dunne. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, JamieMT said:

Would like to have seen Andy Considine play another season and then transition into the coaching set-up. Sadly it isn't to be.

Underrated player, taking this season in isolation, our defence took a massive hit when he suffered his injury. Bigger picture, i think he would have enjoyed more success and acclaim had he stayed at Centre Back. He was never a Left Back (by his own admission too), but he was willing to play where he was required and that should add to the appreciation for him. A player always about the team, not himself.

Regarding his departure, i can appreciate both sides. The player isn't wrong in wanting a longer contract and higher wage, the club isn't wrong in offering the opposite.

As far as the media games go, whoever leaked the story did no one any favours, least of all Andy. But i don't think Goodwin came out of this smelling of Roses either. His statement while not inaccurate chose to omit certain facts to paint a very specific picture and in failing to acknowledge Considine's contribution over the years, he showed a lack of class.

Its the right decision. Lets move on.

This does bode well for summer. Dare say Goodwin would have done everything he could to keep a player like Considine at St Mirren. Nice that he has better hopes for Aberdeen but not if Dunne is actually a real target (& for a fkn fee) ?

Paying a fee for Dunne would be just as bad as when Mcinnes tried to buy Tansey. Still ended up getting his man though ?