Andy Considine

20 hours ago, zeroisgod76 said:

I only compared it to a normal job in that in neither would you just happily roll over and accept a 50% pay cut because you're coming to the end of your career. Maybe you would but most wouldn't.

I think the point you're missing is most people aren't on fixed term contracts which are regularly reviewed and re-negotiated, with no obligation on either party, on a performance related basis.

6 minutes ago, Dr_Manhattan said:

I think the point you're missing is most people aren't on fixed term contracts which are regularly reviewed and re-negotiated, with no obligation on either party, on a performance related basis.

I'm not missing that point at all. The fact is he was well within his rights to negotiate as would anyone be in any professions on any type of cotract who was asked to take a large pay cut.

9 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

I'm not missing that point at all. The fact is he was well within his rights to negotiate as would anyone be in any professions on any type of cotract who was asked to take a large pay cut.

And its ended in an amicable parting of the ways. As has been said by loads above - he wont get offered a 6 figure salary at any other football club in Scotland. 

10 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

He did negotiate. No-one's disputing that. It seems however he failed to read the room and didn't realise it was a take-it-or-leave-it offer. Sucks to be him I guess.

10 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Hes within his rights but why is he negotiating? The club has all the cards and were being generous in even offering 12 months to be fair. Hes a 35 year old bang average defender who missed a season with a ACL injury. What is his negotiating position ? Hes not irreplaceable. He will not get a better offer anywhere else.Afc offered more than he was worth IMO.  Why should they offer more? Him and his agent have made a right arse of it. Where else is he going to earn minimum £100k a year and get through his coaching?  Pair of morons. Bet his wife wont be happy with him ?

10 minutes ago, Dr_Manhattan said:

He did negotiate. No-one's disputing that. It seems however he failed to read the room and didn't realise it was a take-it-or-leave-it offer. Sucks to be him I guess.

And thats all fine. They couldn't agree terms and he's leaving. No issues with that.

The only issue is that the club have pushed a narrative of him being greedy, when the likelihood is that even the figure Considine and his agent tried to negotiate up to was probably still a fair bit less than he had previously been on. They could have just come out and said 'we couldn't agree terms and so we wish Andy all the best in the future'. He was perfectly entitled to ask for more even if there was never any chance of the club giving it to him. They didn't need to go public with the whole '6 figure sum' crap and him looking for 50% more as without context (which we will never get) that just makes him look greedy.

15 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

And thats all fine. They couldn't agree terms and he's leaving. No issues with that.

The only issue is that the club have pushed a narrative of him being greedy, when the likelihood is that even the figure Considine and his agent tried to negotiate up to was probably still a fair bit less than he had previously been on. They could have just come out and said 'we couldn't agree terms and so we wish Andy all the best in the future'. He was perfectly entitled to ask for more even if there was never any chance of the club giving it to him. They didn't need to go public with the whole '6 figure sum' crap and him looking for 50% more as without context (which we will never get) that just makes him look greedy.

The club said they were going to announce an amicable departure yesterday but someone leaked the news and the club correctly stated their reasoning behind their decision.

I think the club have said what they have purely because someone bumped their gums in public about the negotiation. 

'Pushed a narrative' is victim-speak and subjective. I didn't read the club's statement that way, but some may have. Personally I couldn't care less about how AC feels about it.

Honestly, the pants being pished over 'poor Andy Considine', fuck sake. The bottom line is he's leaving, which I think is the best outcome for all. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

That was what was going to happen until him/his agent ran to Scott burns. 

Then the club clarified the entire situation. 

I'm amazed so many people have so much confidence in Cormack and his cronies that they think there's no way it could be someone within the club that was the leak.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
44 minutes ago, torry_battery_ram said:

Which shows why Scotland failed to qualify for anything throughout the early 2000s.

No disrespect to Andy but the fact he was capped shows how bad the rest of the Scottish born central defenders of recent times have been. 

Remember Garry Kenneth Lolz

1 minute ago, Dr_Manhattan said:

I'm amazed you're confusing not-giving-much-of-a-fuck-really with 'confidence in Cormack'

So you wouldn't give a fuck if theoretically our club was so underhanded that they leaked information and then blamed it on a player or his agent? Fair enough, each to their own.

2 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

So you wouldn't give a fuck if theoretically our club was so underhanded that they leaked information and then blamed it on a player or his agent? Fair enough, each to their own.

Not really, no. I'm concerned with them getting results, I care little how they do it.

If it was the club that had made the initial leak you can be sure we'd have heard about that by now from an 'anonymous source close to AC'. That hasn't happened, so I think it's safe to say his agent has fucked him here. Wouldn't be the first time an agent's greed ended up costing his client.

5 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Andy, you're not getting another contract. 

Time to accept it and move on. 

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

That sounds like proper tin foil hat conspiracy theory stuff tbh.  Nobody purposely leaked it within the club, there's absolutely no reason for them to do so. 

Can't believe some of the moaning about how Considine has been treated. AC is a good pro most Dons fans like him but at the end of the day Goodwin is 100% correct he has a budget to work to and he obviously feels he can use some of it better elsewhere rather than possibly pay around £3k per week to a 35 year old coming back from a serious long term injury who he confidentially told would be a squad player next season. Goodwin is the manager he's paid to manage the players and HIS playing budget so let's just let him get on with it and stop moaning about a player who JG was under no obligation to even offer a new contract to in the first place. 

People moan about us being a soft touch for years then along comes a manager who finally shows the steel and we've been asking for and is actually pretty ruthless and some still moan. Let JG get on with managing the club as he sees fit. That's what he's here for.

• Upvote 9
4 hours ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Wow you're dense. I've not compared a professional athletes career with an office worker. I've pointed out that an office worker coming to retirement age would be an idiot to just accept a huge paycut for working the same hours Monday-Friday, same intensity but only working part time on a Saturday. Similarly so would a footballer. I'm not saying he's worth the same wage as he was previously on but there is absolutely no issue with him negotiating what he felt would be a good deal for him.

Agree there is no issue for him to do that. 

but there is no issue with Goodwin deciding he’s not worth what he’s asked for either. So it’s done. 

2 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Agree there is no issue for him to do that. 

but there is no issue with Goodwin deciding he’s not worth what he’s asked for either. So it’s done. 

Exactly. Yet some seem to want to make it an issue. God forbid Goodwin actually acting like a proper manager (i.e. removing sentiment and making cold hard decisions putting the football club first) and deciding against potentially using around £150k of next season's playing budget on a 35 year old who he had already decided was going to be a squad player.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

If Considine comes on tomorrow in the 89th minute with the game poised at 1-1 and scores the winner that gets us into the top 6... will another offer be made... possibly still just 1 year, but for slightly more money than the original one...

I'd rather we finished bottom 6 tbqhwy

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

If Considine comes on tomorrow in the 89th minute with the game poised at 1-1 and scores the winner that gets us into the top 6... will another offer be made... possibly still just 1 year, but for slightly more money than the original one...

No

he’s More likely to grab the ball & run home with it in any case