The future of motor vehicles & ownership

Clydeside_Sheep

• Admin
On 11/18/2020 at 10:59 AM, YorkDon said:

I have a Tesla, and the whole charging thing seems to be the main issue in changing people to electric cars, along with the range, and of course the cost.

I got mine in August, and aside from a couple of times I’ve slightly worried about where to charge it when out and about, it’s been a fairly smooth transition.

I have a home charger, and according to the apps I use, I don’t spend more than £10-£12 a week on keeping it topped up.

The real thing is the infrastructure at the moment, but I noticed a couple of chargers in a Burger King car park in Leeds yesterday amd I know some Lidl stores have them too.This will only get better as time goes on, and more council and private car parks will introduce electric charging points.

One issue that hasn’t been looked at much is how will the government claw back the huge tax income from ICE cars once they get us all to go electric?Road tax and the huge tax on petrol they will no longer get, will need to be clawed back somehow.

It’s getting there, but the more “affordable” cars, like the Corsa you mentioned, aren’t great cars, and the range is terrible.

2030 is a very ambitious target, and one I can’t see being reached.

The government will tax per mile driven.

10 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

It's the least inequitable, taxing on road usage but the bigger issue isn't the revenue raising methods, it's the revenue spending.

We pay tax on EVERYTHING but what exactly are they spending our money on?

Live, eat, drink, smoke, buy, travel, exist, there isn't much that we don't get hit by one tax or another.

Either the books are closed or we aren't reading them closely enough. The waste and the corruption is staggering and not just because of the sheer scale and extent of it. I thought stealing a fiver was a crime. 5 million getting pilfered is fuck all in the grand scheme of things these days. It is our compliance, good men standing by watching evil being done that makes it possible, handicapped as we are by a fake media up to their knees in poor people's blood and misery as they are.

Rupert and Tony should be first at the Castle Gate. I would chuck in Stewrat Milne as a taster starter for the good people of the North east to enjoy first, with random weegies and guffies throughout the show, swinging from their weasley necks.

Donna get me started on our politicians.

Randox anyone?

On 11/18/2020 at 10:59 AM, YorkDon said:

I have a Tesla, and the whole charging thing seems to be the main issue in changing people to electric cars, along with the range, and of course the cost.

I got mine in August, and aside from a couple of times I’ve slightly worried about where to charge it when out and about, it’s been a fairly smooth transition.

I have a home charger, and according to the apps I use, I don’t spend more than £10-£12 a week on keeping it topped up.

The real thing is the infrastructure at the moment, but I noticed a couple of chargers in a Burger King car park in Leeds yesterday amd I know some Lidl stores have them too.This will only get better as time goes on, and more council and private car parks will introduce electric charging points.

One issue that hasn’t been looked at much is how will the government claw back the huge tax income from ICE cars once they get us all to go electric?Road tax and the huge tax on petrol they will no longer get, will need to be clawed back somehow.

It’s getting there, but the more “affordable” cars, like the Corsa you mentioned, aren’t great cars, and the range is terrible.

2030 is a very ambitious target, and one I can’t see being reached.

Thanks for that, good to hear of the experience of someone who had made the switch.

Reassuring to hear that switching has not been a big problem, although I agree with you that we will probably not manage to do it en-masse by the time of these ambitious targets. 

Unless, of course, (as I suspect) the plan involves quiet efforts to massively drive down car ownership.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Thanks for that, good to hear of the experience of someone who had made the switch.

Reassuring to hear that switching has not been a big problem, although I agree with you that we will probably not manage to do it en-masse by the time of these ambitious targets. 

Unless, of course, (as I suspect) the plan involves quiet efforts to massively drive down car ownership.

You thinking of switching CS?

On 11/18/2020 at 5:42 PM, Redforever86 said:

Decent post for a change CS but as ever I'm sure you must be funded by some catholic right wing anti progress bureau to post this shite. 

The range on electric cars is more than adequate for 99% of the journeys people use cars for. I'm sure in 10 years the majority of electric cars sold will have a decent range and charging times will be a lot quicker. For the few instances/niches this isn't suitable you can use hybrid, or hydrogen vehicles or even an old ICE car.

Charging points are increasing all the time, it will be the law to not include one in a new home with a parking space, office car parks, and street parking will all start to add them when demand rises. Also experiments with systems where driving over an area of road (on a motorway for example) can charge the vehicle. 

In terms of the date, it probably won't be met, but you need to set a date or you won't achieve fuck all. The current politicians know they will be most likely gone by then anyway. 

Electricity capacity is always increasing, and other areas require less electricity. Worse case scenario you burn the fossil fuels to create electricity in a transitional period of couple of decades. 

Actually agree with you on electric (and standard) bikes, as I think half the mongs in this country would kill themselves on the roads with one. Much better to invest in small single person vehicles that are cheap to run on city commutes. 

I think we will see a lot of hydrogen start to appear in the next 5 years or so. It makes more sense for heating and a lot of transport issues in this country. 

CS: Agent of CRWAPB lol

Good point that the cars can probably cover most commutes etc present, but for example we take the car on holiday: drive to england, ferry, then driving into darkest Germany / Netherlands.  I love that freedom to roam and feared leccy cars would reduce that.  I think hybrids will be the way forward for some time.

The hydrogen for heating is another interesting plan which I have been skeptical about.  I think they would need to relay all of the gas network, they couldn't just use the same infrastructure.  Ive been involved in some projects involving hydrogen and what a pain in the neck it is.  You need fancy pipe specs etc, even a simple manual valve for hydrogen use is very expensive with long lead times.     

On 11/18/2020 at 7:06 PM, DD1903 said:

Good point re flats. My mate lives in a top floor tenement - his street is rammed every day with cars. There will need to be dozens of charging points, with multiple outlets, to allow residents to charge their cars. Now I know that it won't be a case that every car owner will immediately switch to electric, but it'll take some amount of work and time to get the infrastructure in place in Glasgow alone. Never mind across the country. If the government or council/public sector are involved, it'll be a shambles.

Could lead to plenty of job opportunities right enough 

Aye you can just image trying to fit this into the dense tenement areas of Glasgow.  That will be a challenge, to say the very least.

How do those charging points even work?  Presume it takes your card details and then you charge away? 

20 hours ago, Bebo said:

The government will tax per mile driven.

I agree and that has interesting ramifications.  For example, do they then need to closely track our movements in order to present an accurate bill?

Also, once we are all on hybrids or electric cars, it will expose the lies that heavy taxation of motoring is linked to the environment.  it never has been, of course, rather it has just been milking essential transport which people rely on. 

This will need to continue, given the public sectors appetite for money, even when greener transport arrives.

• Downvote 1
3 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Aye you can just image trying to fit this into the dense tenement areas of Glasgow.  That will be a challenge, to say the very least.

How do those charging points even work?  Presume it takes your card details and then you charge away? 

Pretty much.

Most require registration, but there will be more that will be just plug in and charge.

On the holiday thing, my car tells me the chargers on the way of a journey, or at least on the Tesla supercharging network.

12 minutes ago, YorkDon said:

You thinking of switching CS?

Not anytime soon, though I have warmed to the idea of a hybrid in recent times.  My Skoda is a few years old now, but I am quite fond of it, especially as the first 4x4 I have owned. It is very big so its ideal for my leg-room and carting about a young family and all the necessary accessories.

I had always wanted to own something like a 3.0 V6 - maybe that will not happen now - and the electric offerings currently do not stir the blood in the same way!

3 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

I agree and that has interesting ramifications.  For example, do they then need to closely track our movements in order to present an accurate bill?

Also, once we are all on hybrids or electric cars, it will expose the lies that heavy taxation of motoring is linked to the environment.  it never has been, of course, rather it has just been milking essential transport which people rely on. 

This will need to continue, given the public sectors appetite for money, even when greener transport arrives.

I guess they could record the mileage every year when you have your MOT.

Haven’t been on a long run with mine yet, so looking forward to seeing how it does.

The range is meant to be 329 miles or something like that, but it’s the same as an ICE car, as in, if you put your foot down, you use more juice.

My car is rapid, so it’s more than tempting to put your foot down.

If I took it easy, reckon I could do Aberdeen charging twice on the way up, but it wouldna be a full charge each time, so would maybe be stopped an hour or so in total.

Folk have said it takes too long on a journey to plug in and charge, as opposed to just sticking some fuel in, but it encourages you to take a break on a long journey, grab a food and some coffee, toilet etc, so potentially safer in that respect.

29 minutes ago, YorkDon said:

Haven’t been on a long run with mine yet, so looking forward to seeing how it does.

The range is meant to be 329 miles or something like that, but it’s the same as an ICE car, as in, if you put your foot down, you use more juice.

My car is rapid, so it’s more than tempting to put your foot down.

If I took it easy, reckon I could do Aberdeen charging twice on the way up, but it wouldna be a full charge each time, so would maybe be stopped an hour or so in total.

Folk have said it takes too long on a journey to plug in and charge, as opposed to just sticking some fuel in, but it encourages you to take a break on a long journey, grab a food and some coffee, toilet etc, so potentially safer in that respect.

Bit of a pisser though if you stop to charge and all the chargers are being used. Nae like it will be a 5 minute wait like petrol/diesel is.

11 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

Bit of a pisser though if you stop to charge and all the chargers are being used. Nae like it will be a 5 minute wait like petrol/diesel is.

Aye totally dazzy.

Most services I’ve been to only have a handful of chargers at the most, so that needs to change drastically by 2030 to get anywhere near to what they want to achieve.

47 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Journeys will just need to be better planned . 

19 minutes ago, Bluto10 said:

that’s a hard sell tho, at that price.

day to day it’s manageable but how do you go on a holiday?

It depends on how much driving you’d do I guess.

Unless you’re driving to some ridiculously far flung destinations, you’ll always find somewhere to charge up.

If you’re on a driving holiday then you’ll just have to factor it in, like you would filling a petrol or diesel car-just at the moment you’d maybe have to go a little more out of your way and take extra time to charge.

Many hotels now have chargers, so you’d just charge overnight like you do at home.

It seems the current perception is that electric cars are an inconvenient option, but if you do your research, they don’t have to be.