Mikey Devlin - Injured Again

4 hours ago, manboobs109 said:

And leave the poor cunt destitute? After he's been injured in your employment?

Best thing would be 6 months to give him a chance to get fit.

another one?

I like him as a player but even if he was fit for at the end of the winter break he wouldnt be up to speed before nest season

By all means offer him the use of our training facilities by all means offer physio support when not required by the first team squad but not a working contract lets face it no one will sign him until proven fit and with what I have said we could see that without forking out a wage. 

6 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

Aye he's had enough charity out of us. If I was as unavailable for my work as he has been this past 2/3 years I'd have been binned long ago.

Exactly. I do feel bad for the guy as I guess it's not his fault he gets injured so often and takes forever to recover. He can't expect the club to keep him on though if he's never fit to actually do his job. I don't think he'll ever play for us again, and I'd be surprised if he ever plays again at the top level. Maybe there's another job for him to do in football - scouting, coaching, some kind of behind the scenes role. He could probably become a physio the amount of time he's spent with them over the last 3 years we've had him here.

7 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Another 6 months?

Fuck that.

The last contract was generous enough 

Sorry to put a downer on you but he is ready to sign a new 18 month contract. Glass really likes his attitude and the feedback from the physio team is he will be available in only a matter of a few weeks. It will be good to see a fit Mikey Devlin in the heart of the Dons defence soon. 

3 hours ago, RED_JOHN said:

Sorry to put a downer on you but he is ready to sign a new 18 month contract. Glass really likes his attitude and the feedback from the physio team is he will be available in only a matter of a few weeks. It will be good to see a fit Mikey Devlin in the heart of the Dons defence soon. 

What's it like to live life with this kind of optimism? 

2 hours ago, RED_JOHN said:

I am always the optimist. The hard work Mikey Devlin is putting in to get himself in peak physical condition will astound fellow Dons fans when he appears onto the Pittodrie pitch. 

Hard work to get in peak physical condition is what all aberdeen players are expected and paid to do.

Not sure what is astounding about that?

2 hours ago, BonnieDon said:

Devlin has featured a total of 51 games in 5 seasons with Aberdeen.

He averages 10 games per season. 

When Devlin first arrived he looked a very good signing however he's struggled ever since he sustained his injury on international duty.

The young centre back from Hamilton sounds like a decent replacement.

Jamie Hamilton. He's quick for a centre back but distinctly undersized at 5'11. People will say that at that height he's bigger than Willie Miller but the game has changed considerably since Willie's time. I'm sure I read that he's missed some games fairly recently with a potential problem with his heart.

If we were going to make a policy decision to play mainly with a back 3 then I'd be all for signing him (provided he has no ongoing heart issues) . But I'd have reservations about pairing him in a back 4. Maybe he could utilise his pace as a full back in future??

29 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Jamie Hamilton. He's quick for a centre back but distinctly undersized at 5'11. People will say that at that height he's bigger than Willie Miller but the game has changed considerably since Willie's time. I'm sure I read that he's missed some games fairly recently with a potential problem with his heart.

If we were going to make a policy decision to play mainly with a back 3 then I'd be all for signing him (provided he has no ongoing heart issues) . But I'd have reservations about pairing him in a back 4. Maybe he could utilise his pace as a full back in future??

Hasn't football changed where a defender being tall isn't really a barometer anymore? 

20 minutes ago, RUL said:

Hasn't football changed where a defender being tall isn't really a barometer anymore? 

Know you of many 5ft 11 central defenders in recent years who are recognised stars in the game?

Only one I can think of (who was actually even smaller)  is Fabio Cannavaro and he's been retired about 10 years

1 hour ago, RUL said:

I'd argue the complete opposite. Central defenders are now almost all over 6ft and the wee ones who are below that aren't playing at that high a level for very long.

Even 6'0 and 6'1 is probably considered small for a modern day CB.

On 12/16/2021 at 2:47 PM, ShinnieFGS said:

I'd argue the complete opposite. Central defenders are now almost all over 6ft and the wee ones who are below that aren't playing at that high a level for very long.

Even 6'0 and 6'1 is probably considered small for a modern day CB.

Its true that the modern game appears to have adapted to promote a more physical attributed players, but there still have been many good shorter centre halves that played at the top level.

Carlos Puyol - How many trophies did he win at only 5'10", including winning the Euro's and World Cup? 

Fabian Cannavaro also won a world cup with Italy at only 5'9".

Philip Lahm converted from a RB to a sweeper with Bayern at only 5'7", albeit he always had a tall CH to go win the aerial duals.

But I do see the pre-requisite for being a CH is height to go along with ability.

30 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Its true that the modern game appears to have adapted to promote a more physical attributed players, but there still have been many good shorter centre halves that played at the top level.

Carlos Puyol - How many trophies did he win at only 5'10", including winning the Euro's and World Cup? 

Philip Lahm converted from a RB to a sweeper with Bayern at only 5'7", albeit he always had a tall CH to go win the aerial duals.

But I do see the pre-requisite for being a CH is height to go along with ability.

I’m gonna be harsh and make you work harder

big shinndogg was talking about the modern game and you have referenced 3 retired footballers. I want 3 current top level midget centre halves and I want them NOW

32 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Mascherano 5 foot 9