Mikey Devlin - Injured Again

• 3 weeks later...

He's played less than 40 games since 2018... now, he may be 'fully fit' but I wonder what quality of player we're going to see, assuming 'fully fit' means he's not just injury free but pain free, too. Or if he's even still capable of this level and physicality of football. 

Too often you read retrospectives about how a player forced himself to play long past the point he should have just quit, and "I was popping pills just to get through training, and eventually I just had to go to the gaffer and tell him I couldn't manage it any more". 

I'd like to see some kind of return on our investment, but i'm skeptical. 

4 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

He's played less than 40 games since 2018... now, he may be 'fully fit' but I wonder what quality of player we're going to see, assuming 'fully fit' means he's not just injury free but pain free, too. Or if he's even still capable of this level and physicality of football. 

Too often you read retrospectives about how a player forced himself to play long past the point he should have just quit, and "I was popping pills just to get through training, and eventually I just had to go to the gaffer and tell him I couldn't manage it any more". 

Tommie Hoban's post retirement interview gives a goos insight into the struggles of a player who has had to recover from a number of long term injuries. 

2 hours ago, Ke1t said:

Played two game in the last 18 months lasting a grand total of 54 minutes. No chance he’s anywhere near ‘full fitness’ and chances are he’ll not get near match fit as he’ll pick up another injury as his body won’t be up to the demands required to get match fit

Hoban has had the decency to admit he's tried the comeback and just wasn't able to perform to the standards he wanted to attain. 

I can't criticise Devlin for wanting to try every avenue to keep himself playing  and if the club wanted to offer him training facilities and continued access to the medical team then I think that would absolutely be the correct thing to do. But I think any obligations we have to the player stop short of awarding him contracts he plainly hasn't earned and to date shows no evidence of providing a reasonable return on

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

Hoban has had the decency to admit he's tried the comeback and just wasn't able to perform to the standards he wanted to attain. 

I can't criticise Devlin for wanting to try every avenue to keep himself playing  and if the club wanted to offer him training facilities and continued access to the medical team then I think that would absolutely be the correct thing to do. But I think any obligations we have to the player stop short of awarding him contracts he plainly hasn't earned and to date shows no evidence of providing a reasonable return on

Only think I have is that it's maybe an insurance ploy by the club? Get him on low wages and if/when he gets injured we have a claim that way

As for Hoban I think him playing almost every game last year didnt help him as his body just wasn't up to that much, maybe had he played a little less he'd have been able to continue. As you say good on him for admitting he wasn't at the level he wanted to be at with Crewe

2 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Aye is that the guy who played 37 out of 38 league games last season? 44 games in total? Good job he was replaced by such top class defenders then. Clean sheet city!!

Hoban? He retired at the start of this season cos he knew he was done yet McInnes would have extended his contract, thats the point I’m making 

18 hours ago, Ke1t said:

This ...

5 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

Hoban? He retired at the start of this season cos he knew he was done yet McInnes would have extended his contract, thats the point I’m making 

Aye but you are referencing him being a cripple yet he played almost every single game so I couldn’t resist the opportunity to be a massive wanker and pick holes. You can’t blame a guy?? 

He could have done another season physically I reckon. Just not mentally. He clearly wasn’t at the level he could have been. Should have been an EPL player if he wasn’t such a cripple….. with knees held together by elastic bands no less

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

Time for the big man to rise like a Phoenix from the flames and make a comeback for the first team on Saturday. 

Steady on. He will need to meet the new medical staff before they reach a decision on the best way to treat him. Should be good for the end of May. Things are looking up.

• 1 month later...