Mikey Devlin - Injured Again

1 hour ago, afc1903mad said:

Its true that the modern game appears to have adapted to promote a more physical attributed players, but there still have been many good shorter centre halves that played at the top level.

Carlos Puyol - How many trophies did he win at only 5'10", including winning the Euro's and World Cup? 

Fabian Cannavaro also won a world cup with Italy at only 5'9".

Philip Lahm converted from a RB to a sweeper with Bayern at only 5'7", albeit he always had a tall CH to go win the aerial duals.

But I do see the pre-requisite for being a CH is height to go along with ability.

Two good examples of shorter centre backs but both are from a previous era.

Don't accept Lahm though as he was a RB and later became a CM. If he ever played CB, it would have been a complete one-off.

1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I’m gonna be harsh and make you work harder

big shinndogg was talking about the modern game and you have referenced 3 retired footballers. I want 3 current top level midget centre halves and I want them NOW

Ach they retired not that long ago.

I accept the prominent CH is a lofty one and you have to be exceptional to make it there if you are shorter

8 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

It's most likely related to insurance payouts. 

If he decides to retire while he's still under contract to Aberdeen we'll likely get a payout.  He's probably giving himself every chance to continue before he has to admit defeat and we're keeping him on to protect our investment. 

Most injury payouts (football related) are related to match circumstances and the get out clause is it’s not training that’s covered. The club are giving Devlin the opportunity because it was with us he sustained his injury. The club are looking after a guy who is desperate to play for the Dons. 

5 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

Most injury payouts (football related) are related to match circumstances and the get out clause is it’s not training that’s covered. The club are giving Devlin the opportunity because it was with us he sustained his injury. The club are looking after a guy who is desperate to play for the Dons. 

Depends if they can link any one of his (many) latest injuries back to a match related one or not. 

Let's face it, there's probably a list of about ten career ending injuries to choose from if push comes to shove. 

Did he not come back briefly under McInnes and appeared in a game or two off the bench before he disappeared again? 

6 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Depends if they can link any one of his (many) latest injuries back to a match related one or not. 

Let's face it, there's probably a list of about ten career ending injuries to choose from if push comes to shove. 

Did he not come back briefly under McInnes and appeared in a game or two off the bench before he disappeared again? 

The latest injury was definitely from the training ground. He has got no luck whatsoever (with injuries) but the guy is desperate to play for Aberdeen. If he comes back though but breaks down again he is finished.

2 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

The latest injury was definitely from the training ground. He has got no luck whatsoever (with injuries) but the guy is desperate to play for Aberdeen. If he comes back though but breaks down again he is finished.

Aye I feel for the lad. 

Got himself back from a serious one and ended up getting into the Scotland setup. Then gets crocked on international duty. Nae luck 

20 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye I feel for the lad. 

Got himself back from a serious one and ended up getting into the Scotland setup. Then gets crocked on international duty. Nae luck 

I feel sorry for him as well but the clubs not a charity case. Would he have shown the same loyalty if he was nearing the end of his contract and some diddy club from the English championship came in for him?

22 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

To be honest he is not good player.

Far to slow and cumbersome 

I cannot fahom  why on earth we would what to keep him. He is liability and a risk we don't need

We should be release  him with a small payout negotiated of course 

11 hours ago, ABERDEENROWIE1903 said:

To be honest he is not good player.

Far to slow and cumbersome 

I cannot fahom  why on earth we would what to keep him. He is liability and a risk we don't need

We should be release  him with a small payout negotiated of course 

Have to agree. When he first came in I thought him and mckenna looked absolutely brilliant together. Thought it was a case of enjoying it while it lasted and getting massive bucks for both! 

but that was literally just august to October 2018. He’s been shite ever since… although you wonder how fit he’s actually been in those games 

16 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye I feel for the lad. 

Still can't fathom how he got a Scotland call up at that point as he was utterly honking in that little spell when he got back and had a run of games.

He is similar to Hoban in that he probably had the potential to become a good player at this level, but has been incredibly unlucky with injuries. It's easy for us to say, but looking from the outside most of us think he's done at top level football and he needs to hang up his boots - harder to accept if it's your dream and livelihood at stake. 

18 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Still can't fathom how he got a Scotland call up at that point as he was utterly honking in that little spell when he got back and had a run of games.

He is similar to Hoban in that he probably had the potential to become a good player at this level, but has been incredibly unlucky with injuries. It's easy for us to say, but looking from the outside most of us think he's done at top level football and he needs to hang up his boots - harder to accept if it's your dream and livelihood at stake. 

When he got his first call up he was playing well but aye he was getting called up later on when his form had dipped. 

Bit like Gallagher I suppose. He was called up for the Euros after he had a pretty poor season for Motherwell 

• 4 weeks later...