Scottish Cup 2020/21

39 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

But we would be the 5th club so preliminary early early round I assume 

Nah enter same round as the other conference league qualifier - 3rd or 5th depending who wins the cup. Think it’s qualifying round 2.

Cup winners straight into Europa league play off round then drop into conference league groups if (when) they lose that. 

Iv just watched the game after work. Utter utter pish. Hoban in particular was absolutely pish. Kamberi can get to fuck as well. He misplaced so many passes. The first goal is all on him. He made an arse of trying to trap the ball. 
it’s made one thing clear to Glass and that’s how shite some of these ‘players’ actually are 

8 hours ago, scottymc said:

it’s made one thing clear to Glass and that’s how shite some of these ‘players’ actually are 

Start of the season a lot of folk thought it was our strongest overall squad under mcinnes as well. 

Getting attacking players will be key. losing cosgrove, wright, hedges & watkins has been miserable. turns out letting main go in january was a bad decision as he was better than what we have now

9 hours ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

My heads gone like. 

When was the last time the Old Firm, whilst both in the top league, were knocked out BOTH cups before the SF? 

I hate the cowardly, pussy, namby pamby boys we employ, 

I'd be looking to get rid of about 80% of them. 

1947 apparently. 

Leaving Stephen Glass out of it for a moment.  How many fucking excuses are we going to let the club away with? 

Celtic were too strong

Yes Celtic might have been knocked out but the manager needs to be replaced 

Yes we've replaced the manager but he needs time. 

Excuse after excuse after excuse. What happens next season when we get knocked out? Is it back to Celtic/Rangers being too strong? Or will we go with the manager needs 3 windows to put his stamp on things?

Fucking shambles AFC. 

• Upvote 1

I commented earlier in this thread that our draw, and the arse cheeks being drawn together, was a reasonable opportunity to potentially go far in the cup, and perhaps even win it for the first time since 1990.

Watching that game yesterday, regardless of only 5 training sessions with Glass or not, I didn't witness any sense of hunger from the players that they also recognised the opportunity to be potentially successful.

United manager rested 6 or 7 players midweek in preparation for the game. We went all guns blazing against Tims in, effectively, a completely meaningless game. That fact has nothing to do with lack of training time at Colgate Teeth Park, it is green behind the lugs stuff and is the kind of lack of experience I feared with the  prawcess appointment in the first place.

Others have noted that both Wright and Cosgrove have inferred improved training regimes at Huns and Birmingham respectively. If only partially true it would appear that Cormack Park may be a white elephant / holiday camp at present. I reckon that Glass is too inexperienced and soft to change that. Brown may have been recruited to drive change but we may, basically, require a whole new squad to cut out the issue.

The questions are:

1) will the player turnover in the summer be radical enough?

2) If yes to the above, will the resultant players be of a quality to bring significant improvement in performance?

and 

3) Does Glass have any of the qualities, and experience, required to manage that significant improvement in performance?

When Glass was appointed, further enhanced by yesterday's carnage, the jury remains out on the appointment from my particular perspective.

As I have said on numerous occasions I really do hope that he succeeds but increasingly fear that he will struggle.

We will see where we are come the end of 2021.

Ps as an aside how can it be that we shell out reportedly significant money on securing the loan signings of mis-firing Kamberi and Hornby whilst Killie bring in the cheaper version that is Lafferty and his 10 goals in 6 games has changed their season? The recruitment process at our club appears to be equally as rotten as every other aspect at present.

12 minutes ago, Woody21 said:

I commented earlier in this thread that our draw, and the arse cheeks being drawn together, was a reasonable opportunity to potentially go far in the cup, and perhaps even win it for the first time since 1990.

Watching that game yesterday, regardless of only 5 training sessions with Glass or not, I didn't witness any sense of hunger from the players that they also recognised the opportunity to be potentially successful.

United manager rested 6 or 7 players midweek in preparation for the game. We went all guns blazing against Tims in, effectively, a completely meaningless game. That fact has nothing to do with lack of training time at Colgate Teeth Park, it is green behind the lugs stuff and is the kind of lack of experience I feared with the  prawcess appointment in the first place.

Others have noted that both Wright and Cosgrove have inferred improved training regimes at Huns and Birmingham respectively. If only partially true it would appear that Cormack Park may be a white elephant / holiday camp at present. I reckon that Glass is too inexperienced and soft to change that. Brown may have been recruited to drive change but we may, basically, require a whole new squad to cut out the issue.

The questions are:

2) If yes to the above, will the resultant players be of a quality to bring significant improvement in performance?

and 

3) Does Glass have any of the qualities, and experience, required to manage that significant improvement in performance?

When Glass was appointed, further enhanced by yesterday's carnage, the jury remains out on the appointment from my particular perspective.

As I have said on numerous occasions I really do hope that he succeeds but increasingly fear that he will struggle.

Ps as an aside how can it be that we shell out reportedly significant money on securing the loan signings of mis-firing Kamberi and Hornby whilst Killie bring in the cheaper version that is Lafferty and his 10 goals in 6 games has changed their season? The recruitment process at our club appears to be equally as rotten as every other aspect at present.

All good observations - no evidence that Colgate Park has added anything to our performances - we still fail to get it past the first defender at corners when we do bother to try crossing rather than going short which ends up a few passes later back with the keeper.

Glass was out thought by Mellon - he needs to pick up the pace as much as the players needed to.

We have so many flaws as a team it is hard to see where to start the replacements - new centre of defense, effective width, strikers who can hold the ball, move into space and hit the target - it's hard to see how that can all get fixed in a single transfer window particularly with our prior recruitment record. It might be a hard year even if we get everything right and have a manger who is capable. It could easily be disastrous if we get it wrong and Stephen is simply a nice guy over promoted.  

1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Start of the season a lot of folk thought it was our strongest overall squad under mcinnes as well. 

Getting attacking players will be key. losing cosgrove, wright, hedges & watkins has been miserable. turns out letting main go in january was a bad decision as he was better than what we have now

Very true , even up to November we were looking good. How quickly it all turned sour 

The training park does nothing for mental side of the game. How many times during the McHun era did they blow a chance to go top/ close the points/ blow a final or semi final/ euro game

Just mentally weak humans. It’s embarrassing. Happy to settle for 3rd or a runners up medal. 

Hopefully brown just bins the weaklings. Not needing bruisers in. Just some belief 

30 minutes ago, Woody21 said:

No, because that is not the mentality that our players have. It's not the mentality that the board have had for 30+ years, it's not the mentality the last manager had, or if he did, it faded away. At every level of our club there is a "that'll do" type attitude of "acceptable standards" which include continuous failure. People come here, the team manages a couple of third place finishes, and they soak up that comfy "that'll do" glory and it becomes a part of them. The malaise infects them completely over time and they become increasingly weaker players each season. 

Some of these players can perhaps be righted, but others simply can't or won't. It doesn't matter what team talk you give them or how you set them up or whatever, they're just too weak. Physically weak and mentally weak. I think Glass alluded to this in his post match interview for those who cared to hear it.

I could be wrong, but when he said they gave their all I don't believe it was praise.

46 minutes ago, Woody21 said:

The questions are:

and 

A lot of stuff you mention there is down to the previous manager and his team. Wright and cosgrove trained under McInnes - not glass. So to say it seems like a holiday camp 'at present' is unfair on him. 

ive mentioned before that players were unimpressed with some aspects of life under McInnes. 

Same can be said in relation to our recruitment. This is McInnes' legacy. 

We need to give glass a chance. He wasn't my choice, and he made mistakes yesterday in not making changes, but he's only been in for 2 weeks. He needs time to change the malaise that McInnes left behind and get shot of the pish that McInnes signed. I don't think we will see many of the players who have contracts running out this season being kept on. 

then it's another rebuild job. ?

Checked the huns game last night and they had just went 1-0  up with a few minutes left of extra time.   So switched off,   Checked the news at 11 before bed,   St Johnston knock rangers out of the cup.  Fantastic couldn’t believe it,  day ended on  a happy note, after watching the pussycats in red getting thumped by United.      Hope St Johnston win the cup, they deserve it.   

43 minutes ago, Wester Hailes Skins said:

Would be some accomplishmemt by St Johnstone to do a cup double. Would like to see that. At least one set of fans in Scotland drunk and happy for a year and having a good time. 

(Ideally Hibs going out to an own goal in semi or losing final.) 

Great result by St Johnstone. Love a mad keeper run up the park. 

A huge achievement if they pull off a cup double. Especially for a club that size. 

The last club to achieve a cup double outside the gruesome twosome in any of the Hun incarnations was of course the mighty Aberdeen in 1990.

I wouldn't imagine it would have been done many times since the league cup was introduced back in the 1940s?

interesting comments by Glass after the game about the fitness levels of the players and about them deciding on who stays and who comes in based on who can compete at the physical side of the game.  

I'm not sure what's happened over the last few years, but we've definitely not looked close to being as fit as we did those first few seasons under McInnes.  We also had a lot less injuries in the first few seasons too, which could be down to players not training properly and picking up niggles. 

I actually think we needed a defeat like that, admittedly not in the fucking cup, to show Glass where the problems lie.  We have improved over the last few weeks and we do look like a team capable of scoring goals and getting forward at pace, or at least we set up like that but don't really have the right players to implement that system. Yesterday was likely a good eye opener for Glass, and it's better this happened now and not at the beginning of next season once the transfer window ends.

I'm not sure we were "out thought" by Dundee United. We should have went ahead early on in the game and were dominating, then fell out of it after they scored  The first goal was the defence not picking men up, second was a set piece (shite defending again), third they hit us on the break as we were looking to get back into the game. 

Missed a lot of it, so can't really comment on too much of the game, but i'm hoping this will give them the insight into the problems lurking in this team, because winning the last few games might have masked some of the issues that have been plaguing this "group" for a while now. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, StandFree1982 said:

interesting comments by Glass after the game about the fitness levels of the players and about them deciding on who stays and who comes in based on who can compete at the physical side of the game.  

I'm not sure what's happened over the last few years, but we've definitely not looked close to being as fit as we did those first few seasons under McInnes.  We also had a lot less injuries in the first few seasons too, which could be down to players not training properly and picking up niggles. 

I actually think we needed a defeat like that, admittedly not in the fucking cup, to show Glass where the problems lie.  We have improved over the last few weeks and we do look like a team capable of scoring goals and getting forward at pace, or at least we set up like that but don't really have the right players to implement that system. Yesterday was likely a good eye opener for Glass, and it's better this happened now and not at the beginning of next season once the transfer window ends.

I'm not sure we were "out thought" by Dundee United. We should have went ahead early on in the game and were dominating, then fell out of it after they scored  The first goal was the defence not picking men up, second was a set piece (shite defending again), third they hit us on the break as we were looking to get back into the game. 

Missed a lot of it, so can't really comment on too much of the game, but i'm hoping this will give them the insight into the problems lurking in this team, because winning the last few games might have masked some of the issues that have been plaguing this "group" for a while now. 

Too many Happy Meals in the training ground cafe?

1 hour ago, StandFree1982 said:

This was quite an easy game to figure out

Aberdeen wanted to play with width and energy  with a flat midfield Dundee united a very narrow diamond overwhelming the middle of the park. two very different midfield set ups that could have gone either way and would be based on who played their tactics the best - whoever did would win comfortably or had to change tactics

the first 20 minutes it was in our favour and we goy wide and around the sides especially the left side. three things (2) went wrong

The first which is combined in a way - we run out of energy very very quickly and the started to play more inside both of which played into DU handsthe more difference in energy the more we played inside and got more tired and played more inside and had more overload on our players making them more tired

second was how shockingly bad kambari was he just lost the ball too much and played inside too much. Straight after the first goal he should have been off and McGeoch on, The goal cam from him losing the ball on the half way line - fairly central where he shouldnt have been and where he shouldnt have been losing the ball. Half time he should definatly have been off

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Yorston Vasey said:

Callum Davidson or Tommy Wright have a very real opportunity to become the most successful non-OF manager in the past 30 years by winning a second trophy.. 

When we were all speculating about who the next manager would be I had a wee hope we might take a look at Davidson.

It wasn't a lot to go on but the highlights I saw of them always made me think they looked decent, well organised and knew what they wanted to do with and without the ball.

That and the fact that anybody that can get a tune out of Stevie May must know what they are doing. He's still not prolific but he looks sharp and provides a good contribution to that team. 

Just now, The Buzzard said:

When we were all speculating about who the next manager would be I had a wee hope we might take a look at Davidson.

It wasn't a lot to go on but the highlights I saw of them always made me think they looked decent, well organised and knew what they wanted to do with and without the ball.

That and the fact that anybody that can get a tune out of Stevie May must know what they are doing. He's still not prolific but he looks sharp and provides a good contribution to that team. 

A few suggested that Davidson be at least interviewed but it wasn't met with much enthusiasm at the time. 

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

A few suggested that Davidson be at least interviewed but it wasn't met with much enthusiasm at the time. 

Aye I saw that. Was no point adding to the hysteria at the time!

I get the impression that a lot of folk see Davidson as a bit of a nothing figure. He went down to Blackburn and had a good career there. Solid for Scotland too. Deserves more respect and he'll hopefully get it now. 

15 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

Can’t really imagine even if we had got Davidson, Wright, Robinson etc they would be able to do much better with the current shambles and gutless squad we have just now. The reality we can not judge SG till this time next year 

Yeah to be clear, I am not saying Glass out or anything! Glass needs the time and support for everyone before he gets judged. Was more just a comment on the great job Davidson is doing right now.