Hat Book Club What You Reading?

dervish

51 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

'A Political Man' by a Scottish author called Jim McDermott which is his nineth book in a series about a German ex Paratrooper called Otto Fisher.

Decent reads, full of history, Nazis, sex and cold war spy stuff.

If you're into WW2 / spy biography reads I recommend The Hornet's Sting. Danish bloke spying behind Nazi lines - incredible story.

The Forgotten Highlander is probably the best WW2 biography I've read. A Gordon Highlander's story of surviving as a POW in the far east and return to civvy street. Eye-opening what he survived 

1 minute ago, frankie_mac's_4 said:

If you're into WW2 / spy biography reads I recommend The Hornet's Sting. Danish bloke spying behind Nazi lines - incredible story.

The Forgotten Highlander is probably the best WW2 biography I've read. A Gordon Highlander's story of surviving as a POW in the far east and return to civvy street. Eye-opening what he survived 

Cheers for the recommendations and will check them out ?

Japs were horrible bastards right enough.

17 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

I read one about six months ago of a Polish guy who deliberately got himself sent to Auschwitz to report back on what was happening . Fucked if I can mind the title. 

If folk could get reports out of Auschwitz,  why did so many still  get on the trains?  Never understood why they didn't put up more of a fight instead of meekly accepting their fate. 

2 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

There was a Polish resistance movement but the German military had a huge organised military force to send people to the camps.The reports were sewn into clothing and smuggled out or by other such means. 

If I had any inkling what awaited me I'd put up a fight.  Nothing to lose,  might as well make it difficult for them. 

Just yesterday I was listening to a bit on NPR from a woman who was a wee lassie during the deportations. She saw her favourite teacher sit down and refuse to get on board the train. There was no arguing or shouting from the Germans, they just put a bullet in the teacher's head and continued on with packing the rest of them in. 

I think when you've a gun at your head and you just watched someone get executed on the spot for refusing to get in the cattle truck, what you would or wouldn't do is probably subject to a great deal of change. 

EDIT: Since this is the Book Club, I'm going to recommend One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich, one of the few Russian books I can read without my eyes fucking bleeding. It has no plot to speak of, no happy ending, no terrific message about the indomitable human spirit. It's literally a single day in the life of a convict, Ivan Denisovich, as he tries to survive in the Soviet Gulag system. 

10 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

If a message could be smuggled out there was only a small chance it would reach it's destination. One of the main problems was that even if the messages reached their intended recipient they were not believed and were seen as being over dramatic and/or not factual. 

Strange that the messages wouldn't be believed after the way Jews were treated in 30s Germany.  What did people think had happened to 6m absent Jewish folk!? 

The Jews knew they were being rounded up and deported, but the Nazi propaganda made it seem like they were being sent to top notch resorts where Jews would be happy and comfortable as they awaited further deportation outside the reich. 

The showpiece camp was at Theresienstadt, where the Nazis would have foreign observers and the Red Cross come and see the Jew in his captive environment. It even had recreational facilities like a movie theatre, football pitch and an orchestra. 

Now if I had the option of being shot in situ for being a difficult cunt, or spending a few months at a Jew resort until I could be sent to America or Canada, then I'm getting on the cattle truck. 

The reality, unfortunately, was Auschwitz and Belsen. But, of course, by the time they found out it was way too late.