Burns night

Clydeside_Sheep

As we know it was Burns night recently.

Do any of you attend Burns nights, in more normal times?  Every year or just 1 or 2 times? 

I perceive (perhaps wrongly) that these are pretty alien to most Scots and are largely the preserve of small, special interest groups or misty eyed expats.

My dad has a friend who would fit into the "special interest group" description and through him my Dad attended / spoke at a few Burns nights in previous years.

Other than those two, I do not know of anyone who has been to a Burns night, or has the slightest interest in going to one (a stance which includes me).

Are these actually a thing (?) or largely a false aspect of modern Scots identity, perpetuated by lazy media stories?  (Much like how maypole dancing is alien to most English ppl, or dressing up as Krampus is alien to most Germans/Austrians).

3 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Do any of you attend Burns nights, in more normal times?  Every year or just 1 or 2 times? 

I perceive (perhaps wrongly) that these are pretty alien to most Scots and are largely the preserve of small, special interest groups or misty eyed expats.

My dad has a friend who would fit into the "special interest group" description and through him my Dad attended / spoke at a few Burns nights in previous years.

Other than those two, I do not know of anyone who has been to a Burns night, or has the slightest interest in going to one (a stance which includes me).

Are these actually a thing (?) or largely a false aspect of modern Scots identity, perpetuated by lazy media stories?  (Much like how maypole dancing is alien to most English ppl, or dressing up as Krampus is alien to most Germans/Austrians).

Been to loads.

?

I think its only masons who really celebrate it here in Scotland?

I noticed on the tv on the 25th folk talking about the fact it was Burns night more than ive ever heard it mentioned before.  Lassies on the news saying have a good burns night to each other. Fuck off.

Never been or invited to one, or even aware of one here in Scotland.

I know o&g wankers abroad organise them for fellow expats. 

I love haggis, neeps, tatties, with HP sauce, and getting smashed but dont do poetry recitals from any cunt with the reluctant exception of John Cooper Clarke and Mr Tumble.

3 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

The Scottish cringe is strong in this one. 

44 minutes ago, Fridge said:

They’re alright if it’s a freebie. Same as charity pish, you have to endure the complete shite at the start, speeches and the inevitable tear jerking story to get you to donate cash, but ultimately everyone is just there to get pished and try and nail some bird in a tartan frock.

Strings to fridges bow 

philanthropy 

what's your fave charity night fridge?

Auld chieftain of the pudding race
Now all Bairns carry mace 
His betting tips we all did wish  
Weren’t all completely pish    
For the jokes made about Lockerbie     
Amazing he is still walking free            
Wi Haggis crisps and a Renault Mcgan        
Dad has Maddie McCann

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Fridge said:

Meningitis Ball I liked for family reasons.

Cash for kids.

I went to cash for kids at the beach ballroom once. Patrice/ mcruvie did a raffle. If you got a winning ticket you had to go up and they picked something for you from the prizes. 

a young tidy went up and Patrice gave her an envelope with vouchers for a facial.

Obscene shouts for a charity kids doo. 

7 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

The capital B in Bairns makes it look like Falkirk fans, Frigo.  Two other points. 1 What's with the Haggis crisps?  and 2.   The Renault Mcgan  ?   Scottish car is it? ? 

It flows relatively well though. I'd say you have promise . 

Yeah spelling mistakes. Just thought crisps would be better than actual haggis, maybe fuelling then with a dram might have been better.

Could probably come up with something frisky / whisky. Work in progress.