Aberdeen 0 - 2 Livingston

18 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Im intrigued.  Is that a reciprocal relationship you're suggesting? 

At its very best conclusion on average (taking economies of scale into it) we can either be just third or be a darn tootin exciting third. We'd still be third, in terms of financial reward.  Now that's not to be sniffed at particularly given the last two years and the euro restructure this year.  But averages are just that. You'll always get outliers.  Celtic this year potentially being the latest said outlier that we should be challenging.

But the reality is how much of our incomes do you suggest we spend supporting, reinforcing but not breaking down the self aggrandised glass ceiling.   

Well people keep banging on about ambition so I assume they would be happy to spend most of our income on the playing squad. 

• Downvote 1
1 hour ago, Patty said:

The problem is we aren’t even doing 3rd place now. Since AberDNA came in and the training centre, we have been on the decline. 

Not everyone can afford a season ticket or go to the football regularly. Where as more folk will be able to justify a once in a generation winnable cup final trip. 

As has been proven before, it McInnes was given the extra funds he’d only waste it.

Aberdeen and the surrounding areas are hardly poor. Celtic and sevco can sell out every week and we all know how deprived most of Glasgow is.

• Downvote 1
7 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Well people keep banging on about ambition so I assume they would be happy to spend most of our income on the playing squad. 

We should be playing better football and not losing games to bottom 6 sides on a regular basis on the budget that we have already. 

It is as simple as that. 

Being outplayed and outclassed by sides like St Mirren, Livingstone and Motherwell isn't a lack of ambition, it's poor tactics, poor recruitment and just a lack of good management. 

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

We should be playing better football and not losing games to bottom 6 sides on a regular basis on the budget that we have already. 

It is as simple as that. 

Being outplayed and outclassed by sides like St Mirren, Livingstone and Motherwell isn't a lack of ambition, it's poor tactics, poor recruitment and just a lack of good management. 

Precisely.  "The game" wants us to invest to be plucky losers.  That we cant even be that is entirely down to us.

27 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Aberdeen and the surrounding areas are hardly poor. Celtic and sevco can sell out every week and we all know how deprived most of Glasgow is.

Glasgow and surrounding areas has over 2 million people. It's not difficult to see how they can get a much larger support. 

They also have both been successful for generations and generations, so there are generations of Huns and Tims passing down their support to their kids and then their kids, that's why they've got this massive support, that and they are winning games and playing better football on a consistent basis. They've got a rivalry that drives it.

Our average attendance has increased by quite a bit since McInnes took over anyways, it was 9k back in 2011, it went up to a high of almost 18k in McInnes peak period, 2014/2015/2016. 

That shows that if we're playing good football and competing then the fans will come back. We're not going to get 40k every week just because that's how many turned up at the Cup Final. That's just stupid. But doubling our attendance after an improvement in fortunes shows that we CAN make a difference to the numbers by actually being good at football.

When Celtic were struggling their average attendance went down to 18k-20k. So even they will struggline to get fans in if their team aren't competing.  It's the same with Rangers. Theirs was as low as 17k at one point. 

I dread to think what the attendances would have been last season and this season, next season as well might be a struggle if McInnes stays on and we limp to 4th. 

27 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Glasgow and surrounding areas has over 2 million people. It's not difficult to see how they can get a much larger support. 

They also have both been successful for generations and generations, so there are generations of Huns and Tims passing down their support to their kids and then their kids, that's why they've got this massive support, that and they are winning games and playing better football on a consistent basis. They've got a rivalry that drives it.

Our average attendance has increased by quite a bit since McInnes took over anyways, it was 9k back in 2011, it went up to a high of almost 18k in McInnes peak period, 2014/2015/2016. 

That shows that if we're playing good football and competing then the fans will come back. We're not going to get 40k every week just because that's how many turned up at the Cup Final. That's just stupid. But doubling our attendance after an improvement in fortunes shows that we CAN make a difference to the numbers by actually being good at football.

When Celtic were struggling their average attendance went down to 18k-20k. So even they will struggline to get fans in if their team aren't competing.  It's the same with Rangers. Theirs was as low as 17k at one point. 

I dread to think what the attendances would have been last season and this season, next season as well might be a struggle if McInnes stays on and we limp to 4th. 

We have a small pool of folks* who want to go to the fitba in the N/E. Thats not a criticism.just what it is.You cant force people to the fitba if theyre not interested,so I dont get why folks use this as a reason to criticise.Look at our Euro champs season in '83/84,if ever there was a reason for glory hunters to turn out it was back then,but our average gate was 17'500.You could argue fair play to the locals for not jumping on the bandwagon.Our current crowds havent decreased a significant amount since then,despite the ups and downs of various regimes

The folks that are into the fitba,also seem to go to a higher than average amount of away games compared to other fans going by our away supports

*Which may be because we have a good range of sport alternatives up here,via some great Golf courses,fishing,high than average participation of playing football on a Saturday,more participants in Cricket per head than in England I believe??  ?

2 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

We have made it worthwhile, the season we ran Celtic close when we were winning games and scoring goals. Still couldn’t sell out the stadium. If we can get 40k (and wanting more tickets) for a cup final then why can’t we get half that for league games? My point is if people genuinely want us to do more than third place then people need to start turning up and putting more money into the club. 

“Get more than 3rd place” we haven’t done that for 2 years. 

1 hour ago, StandFree1982 said:

It is as simple as that. 

Have you watched any other football as I’d say a lot of games Iv watched not just ours have been pretty crap if I’m being honest. 
We have lost 6 games this season so far 3 to the rangers( where even those matches if anyone wanted to things could be found to prove games were close) and one each to Livingston, Motherwell and Ross county. All 3 of them have had terrible defensive mistakes and apart from the Motherwell game I don’t think we were out played it’s just because of our defensive mistakes they took their chances we didn’t. Even in the games we’ve drawn I think even tho most were poor games I don’t think in any we were out played, I’d actually say in most we were the team doing the attacking just not scoring. 

33 minutes ago, thurso said:

Have you watched any other football as I’d say a lot of games Iv watched not just ours have been pretty crap if I’m being honest. 
We have lost 6 games this season so far 3 to the rangers( where even those matches if anyone wanted to things could be found to prove games were close) and one each to Livingston, Motherwell and Ross county. All 3 of them have had terrible defensive mistakes and apart from the Motherwell game I don’t think we were out played it’s just because of our defensive mistakes they took their chances we didn’t. Even in the games we’ve drawn I think even tho most were poor games I don’t think in any we were out played, I’d actually say in most we were the team doing the attacking just not scoring. 

we were battered by St Mirren in the cup game and against Motherwell. We were outplayed by Livingston in that first 45 minutes.  That's the ones off the top of my head. 

I can't believe that anyone could defend the football on display over the past 2 seasons. 

2 hours ago, StandFree1982 said:

we were battered by St Mirren in the cup game and against Motherwell. We were outplayed by Livingston in that first 45 minutes.  That's the ones off the top of my head. 

I can't believe that anyone could defend the football on display over the past 2 seasons. 

I didn’t defend the football I said it’s been pretty crap all over, over the last two seasons we’ve played some good stuff and some awful stuff. 
My recollection of the st mirren game was it was pretty even, a crap game that was going to extra time until the fuck up at the end. Even the game on Tuesday livi didn’t totally out play us it was just awful defending in the two chances they did get, can’t even class the first goal as a chance it was just a terrible fuck up. 

• Dildo 1
5 hours ago, Laichomoray said:

We have a small pool of folks* who want to go to the fitba in the N/E. Thats not a criticism.just what it is.You cant force people to the fitba if theyre not interested,so I dont get why folks use this as a reason to criticise.Look at our Euro champs season in '83/84,if ever there was a reason for glory hunters to turn out it was back then,but our average gate was 17'500.You could argue fair play to the locals for not jumping on the bandwagon.Our current crowds havent decreased a significant amount since then,despite the ups and downs of various regimes

The folks that are into the fitba,also seem to go to a higher than average amount of away games compared to other fans going by our away supports

*Which may be because we have a good range of sport alternatives up here,via some great Golf courses,fishing,high than average participation of playing football on a Saturday,more participants in Cricket per head than in England I believe??  ?

Also add in that a fair part of the population are incomers who are not interested in football or have their own club allegiances.

Club needs to follow the Yank model and appeal to people who might not necessarily be interested in sport. 

I've been to multiple baseball games, and frankly it's the pishest excuse for a sport yet invented. 

Doesn't matter, because I can go sit at the bar, have a shotty on the go-carts, or spend all my cash at the team shop or any one of the many club outlets that are there to take all my money from me. 

Any time I've taken the loon we've spent hundreds on tickets, merch, food, and entertainment. Can't say I've watched much in the way of baseball. So even if a big chunk of Aberdeen and the surrounding area aren't currently into the Dons that's no reason not to appeal to them and their wallets. 

• Upvote 1
  • Dildo 1
On 2/5/2021 at 5:31 PM, strachanmcgheegoal said:

I’ve had the same experience with Basketball and possibly the worst ever spectator sport (barring AFC vs East Fife) Ice Hockey.  Tremendous days.  Shite sports.

Strongly disagree.

It's hard to come away disappointed from a game of professional ice hockey when players can get into knock down drag out fist fights only for the referee to penalise them 5 minutes. 

(Compare that to Hedges' recent red.)

Hits...

(And I fully get folk not being interested in a sport they've never played.)

Nascar, for me, would be the most popular 'sport' that I have no interest in.

It's the complaint we (Canadians) got from the American audience when Fox was awarded Canadian network rights by the NHL. 

The system was first used during the 1996 NHL All-Star Game, and was used until the end of the 1997–98 season. FoxTrax received mixed reviews from viewers and critics; although some viewers thought that FoxTrax helped them follow the game more easily, the concept was criticized (especially by Canadians) for being a gimmick that distracted from the game.

12 minutes ago, Scotty_Toronto said:

It's the complaint we (Canadians) got from the American audience when Fox was awarded Canadian network rights by the NHL. 

The system was first used during the 1996 NHL All-Star Game, and was used until the end of the 1997–98 season. FoxTrax received mixed reviews from viewers and critics; although some viewers thought that FoxTrax helped them follow the game more easily, the concept was criticized (especially by Canadians) for being a gimmick that distracted from the game.

Like watching an xbox game.  Should make the puck white so it's more difficult.