13 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Folk said we couldn't afford to pay McInnes off. 

Same folk said we couldn't afford Scott Brown. 

Likewise we've been told by posters that we can't afford Gallagher as he'll go to Celtic or the Championship on big wages. That's one still to play out of course. 

I think there is cash there for the right signings. 

A couple of million available for hendry?

Just now, aberdeen1970 said:

As I said to ww, there is a deal to be made, even if it is a loan initially. 

People thought we couldn't afford to pay off McInnes or afford brown's wages.  They were wrong. 

I suspect that the total cost of Glass plus Brown's wages comes in at pretty much equivalent to that paid to McInnes/Doc.........the only difference being Glass getting about half DM's wage and Brown, with his dual playing/coaching contract massively out earning Doc, possibly (probably even) out earning Glass. For sure Brown has taken a big hit on his wages at Celtic to join up but he's hardly short of a bob or two and we aren't exactly paying him paupers wages. 

McInnes supposedly took a pay-off less than the full amount due. Probably covered by those who were threatening not to renew season tickets if he remained in post now confirming they will renew, even though it's still up in the air as to what sort of crowd level if any will be allowed in come August.

You could be correct about a loan for Lindsay being do-able. But I cannot see any circumstances where he is affordable as a full signing until his Stoke contract ends.

1 minute ago, Ten Caat said:

I suspect that the total cost of Glass plus Brown's wages comes in at pretty much equivalent to that paid to McInnes/Doc.........the only difference being Glass getting about half DM's wage and Brown, with his dual playing/coaching contract massively out earning Doc, possibly (probably even) out earning Glass. For sure Brown has taken a big hit on his wages at Celtic to join up but he's hardly short of a bob or two and we aren't exactly paying him paupers wages. 

McInnes supposedly took a pay-off less than the full amount due. Probably covered by those who were threatening not to renew season tickets if he remained in post now confirming they will renew, even though it's still up in the air as to what sort of crowd level if any will be allowed in come August.

You could be correct about a loan for Lindsay being do-able. But I cannot see any circumstances where he is affordable as a full signing until his Stoke contract ends.

Cormack keeps talking about using the money smarter. 

I think this might translate to a few choice signings/loans on decent wages supported by young players.  The mls model funnily enough. 

Or in other words less money wasted on players who used to come in as bench fillers and some of that money used to get a better class of first team senior player. 

29 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Are folk not way over-estimating how much we’ll be spending?

Hendry has been quoted at £2m!

Lindsay would be a significant fee too.

Even of Cormack does back Glass with some money, I cannot see it being anywhere near that amount. 

I think £2million is around the figure Glass will receive.......but certainly not to blow on one player. I'd think one or two marquee signings for £500k or so plus another 3 or 4 at between £200/300k and the rest of the incomings on free transfers.

53 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I think this might translate to a few choice signings/loans on decent wages supported by young players.  The mls model funnily enough. 

Or in other words less money wasted on players who used to come in as bench fillers and some of that money used to get a better class of first team senior player. 

So it should be the model. "Prizing" shite like Main with a better offer than his motherwell wage to have him sit on the bench 95% of time is absolutely pointless. 

2 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Folk said we couldn't afford to pay McInnes off. 

Same folk said we couldn't afford Scott Brown. 

Likewise we've been told by posters that we can't afford Gallagher as he'll go to Celtic or the Championship on big wages. That's one still to play out of course. 

I think there is cash there for the right signings. 

Aye, but the right signings for us tend to be £200-£400k for guys like McLean, Ferguson, McCrorie (Forrester lol) etc when they become available. This is the route i'd like to see us follow more, push the boat out slightly for a better quality player with resale value in the future. 5/6 of those type of signings and we'd be looking pretty good.

I can't see us all of a sudden starting to spend £1m+ on players. As mentioned there are wages in line with the transfer fee to pay as well. Unless Atlanta are going to fund them like they did with Ronnie.

Just now, Andy_123 said:

Aye, but the right signings for us tend to be £200-£400k for guys like McLean, Ferguson, McCrorie (Forrester lol) etc when they become available. This is the route i'd like to see us follow more, push the boat out slightly for a better quality player with resale value in the future. 5/6 of those type of signings and we'd be looking pretty good.

I can't see us all of a sudden starting to spend £1m+ on players. As mentioned there are wages in line with the transfer fee to pay as well. Unless Atlanta are going to fund them like they did with Ronnie.

I never said we would spend a million on a player. 

I suggested that we would end up with a small group of high earners who would be a bit like the mls 'designated players' 

There is certainly scope for the overall wage budget to be used better than McInnes was using it.

I'd rather see a team with 4/5 higher earners who are better players with some promising younger players in and around the team instead of a team full of squad fillers earning £3k a week to be completely average or worse.

9 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

There is certainly scope for the overall wage budget to be used better than McInnes was using it.

I'd rather see a team with 4/5 higher earners who are better players with some promising younger players in and around the team instead of a team full of squad fillers earning £3k a week to be completely average or worse.

That is exactly what I was describing. 

3 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Be delighted if that's the model we use going forward

4 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

I think £2million is around the figure Glass will receive.......but certainly not to blow on one player. I'd think one or two marquee signings for £500k or so plus another 3 or 4 at between £200/300k and the rest of the incomings on free transfers.

Who knows what is happening but surely this is pie in the sky.

A summer akin to 2017 when we spent £400k on May and 200k on GMS would be more the level I would expect

4 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I 100% agree with you. This IS the model Cormack wants.

1 hour ago, Tord31 said:

Who knows what is happening but surely this is pie in the sky.

A summer akin to 2017 when we spent £400k on May and 200k on GMS would be more the level I would expect

If we are looking to recruit players who are collectively no better than the ones we have right now (and suffer 4th or worse placed finishes for the next 3 seasons) then that is exactly the way to go about it.

There's no point sacking a managerial team and replacing them with another which could well be a gamble....but then not allow that gamble to at least place a few bets along the way. 

Just now, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I agree. 
Been overweight for about 2 years. 
He’s 30 but has the body of a 37 year old junior player 

we have capacity for 3-4 strikers. im excited about blowing the budget on a top striker that is going to fit the bill then take any old chumps to make up the numbers probably including anderson