2 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

And presumably the next down on the list is an even worse option? 

Well yeah, you would think so. If they had a better option they wouldnt have been stooping so low as Clark Robertson. 

Very concerning. Waiting for Dave to announce AFC branded snake oil on sale in the club shop. 

1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

What’s the chances of us looking at Liam Lindsay? He’s probably overpaid and on a good contract so maybe unlikely 

always seemed a decent player. Odd he is absolutely nowhere near the Scotland squad when we are capping considine, gallagher, hanlon, Hendry and playing guys out of position there

He would make sense as he's left sided and Stoke are desperate to offload him. Strange it never worked out for him there

Wages likely the big stumbling block though. £3million players expect a commensurate salary 

Was reported last week that Preston wanted him to join permanently

Lindsay is almost certainly out with our price range in terms of wages and Stoke would still get a decent fee for him.

As a left sided centre back, Scotland under 21's defender George Johnston who Feyenoord bought from Liverpool a couple of years ago but is out of contract this summer would be a good option for us. Was on loan at Wigan in 2nd half of last season and did well

• Upvote 5
13 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

He would make sense as he's left sided and Stoke are desperate to offload him. Strange it never worked out for him there

Wages likely the big stumbling block though. £3million players expect a commensurate salary 

Was reported last week that Preston wanted him to join permanently

Strange the fees he has gone for and the wages he is probably on when he is nowhere near Scotland and plays in our weakest position. Also struggling to get a game for a fairly average team. Sounds like he must have a superb agent.

11 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Strange the fees he has gone for and the wages he is probably on when he is nowhere near Scotland and plays in our weakest position. Also struggling to get a game for a fairly average team. Sounds like he must have a superb agent.

I had missed the fact he had been a further permanent transfer.

Madness down there and shows weve a decent chance of getting paid by McKenna and Cosgrove taking another move.

14 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

What’s the chances of us looking at Liam Lindsay? He’s probably overpaid and on a good contract so maybe unlikely 

always seemed a decent player. Odd he is absolutely nowhere near the Scotland squad when we are capping considine, gallagher, hanlon, Hendry and playing guys out of position there

I'd be going for Jason Kerr , hope we are looking at him . Probably out of our market now though  

22 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

I had missed the fact he had been a further permanent transfer.

Madness down there and shows weve a decent chance of getting paid by McKenna and Cosgrove taking another move.

I genuinely can't see Cosgrove going for more than a couple of mill.

McKenna definitely, he's started most of their games.

1 hour ago, StandFree1982 said:

I genuinely can't see Cosgrove going for more than a couple of mill.

McKenna definitely, he's started most of their games.

I just mean they could quite easily move for a fee, any fee. 20% of a fee down there is real money to us as it might be the difference between affording a McGrath, a Kerr, a whoever and falling short.

1 hour ago, redstrummer said:

I'd be going for Jason Kerr , hope we are looking at him . Probably out of our market now though  

He's in the last 11 months of his contract so if he has not got a move by August i'd say he's starting to be worth less than £500k. If that coincides with us selling Ferguson, Hedges or McCrorie then it could easy be a go-er.

Our time to move is always gonna be with 9 months (or 4 months) to go on the contract and and paying a small fee.

I think once the players of this half decent quality are on free transfers then they would normally be out of our reach as other clubs see the player is on a free transfer and dont really care about scrimping on wages even if the player is not going to be a automatic first pick.

3 hours ago, Tord31 said:

He's in the last 11 months of his contract so if he has not got a move by August i'd say he's starting to be worth less than £500k. If that coincides with us selling Ferguson, Hedges or McCrorie then it could easy be a go-er.

Our time to move is always gonna be with 9 months (or 4 months) to go on the contract and and paying a small fee.

I think once the players of this half decent quality are on free transfers then they would normally be out of our reach as other clubs see the player is on a free transfer and dont really care about scrimping on wages even if the player is not going to be a automatic first pick.

Agree 100%

Much harder to pick up these players when out of contract, as there are about 45-50 clubs (including the EPL) in England who would easily pay more than us.

Our best chance is to try & pick them up when 12 or 6 months remain on their contract, but that means we have to gamble & pay a fee and assume we’ll recoup it by selling the player on.

I’d love us to pay £500k apiece for the likes of Jason Kerr & Jamie McGrath, but I seriously doubt we can afford that. 

2 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Agree 100%

Much harder to pick up these players when out of contract, as there are about 45-50 clubs (including the EPL) in England who would easily pay more than us.

Our best chance is to try & pick them up when 12 or 6 months remain on their contract, but that means we have to gamble & pay a fee and assume we’ll recoup it by selling the player on.

I’d love us to pay £500k apiece for the likes of Jason Kerr & Jamie McGrath, but I seriously doubt we can afford that. 

It is a huge gamble once they get to around 24+ as the chances of selling them on decreases. 

shinnie, mclean and the wee hun rat were superb for us but nobody was ever in for them 

6 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Agree 100%

We'll be selling Ferguson so we should have a percentage of that fee to reinvest hopefully. 

Uncertainty over crowds and hospitality will be the determining factor but I feel we need to make an investment on a couple of players of the right age otherwise we'll have too big a gap between the over 30s and the 'emerging talent' 

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We'll be selling Ferguson so we should have a percentage of that fee to reinvest hopefully. 

Uncertainty over crowds and hospitality will be the determining factor but I feel we need to make an investment on a couple of players of the right age otherwise we'll have too big a gap between the over 30s and the 'emerging talent' 

Yip, agree with that too.

The likes of Kerr & McGrath are at a perfect age. 
Sign them up & flog them on for a profit in a couple of years.... repeat. 

8 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

Doesn't make sense. But ok.

how do you know we haven't had any further offers ?

Probably because there have been no more offers made public & no rumoured interest by either the club & (more importantly) his Arsehole agent. 

on that basis it is fair to argue more in favour that there haven’t been any other offers rather than support the idea that there has been.

pretty fair assumption id say

14 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Probably because there have been no more offers made public & no rumoured interest by either the club & (more importantly) his Arsehole agent. 

on that basis it is fair to argue more in favour that there haven’t been any other offers rather than support the idea that there has been.

pretty fair assumption id say

It's the 1st of June and there's a major tournament in a couple of weeks time, the market is bound to be slow. Don't wet the bed just yet.