20 minutes ago, starryfish said:

In terms of the balance of the team, how would you see him fitting in?

He's a box to box midfielder so presumably it's 4-3-3 with one midfielder (Brown?) sitting and two going back and fore and getting right in to the box.

It doesn't necessarily mean the end for Ferguson but we've far too many midfielders regardless. Maybe McGrath being targeted for cash would be more linked to Ferguson leaving for cash.

43 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

He's a box to box midfielder so presumably it's 4-3-3 with one midfielder (Brown?) sitting and two going back and fore and getting right in to the box.

It doesn't necessarily mean the end for Ferguson but we've far too many midfielders regardless. Maybe McGrath being targeted for cash would be more linked to Ferguson leaving for cash.

Yeah we have loads of midfielders, just a pity most are bang average, or injury prone.

1 hour ago, DD1903 said:

Yeah we have loads of midfielders, just a pity most are bang average, or injury prone.

All average apart from Ferguson. All defensive apart from Ferguson, And Ferguson being superior as the defensive midfielder.

Standard McInnes signing 100s of midfielders and standard mcinnes having no forward planning on the contracts eg they are all under contract.

45 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

All average apart from Ferguson. All defensive apart from Ferguson, And Ferguson being superior as the defensive midfielder.

Standard McInnes signing 100s of midfielders and standard mcinnes having no forward planning on the contracts eg they are all under contract.

Yep...

Wasn’t sure where to put this, so dumped it here.

interesting comments from Martin Rennie, a Scottish coach working in America.

Scroll along to 41 minutes in...

If you can’t be arsed, he basically made two key points.

1) If players aren’t good enough to start for Atlanta, then they’re not good enough for Aberdeen (or shouldn’t be seen as good enough).

2) The flip side is that the good players starting at Atlanta could be earning way more than we could ever afford. Glasgow club levels of wages.

There were other comments that he made that were not good either. He was asked a direct question about whether it would benefit Aberdeen.

”No” was the direct answer. 

Begs the question, WTF is the point? 

• Dildo 1
26 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Wasn’t sure where to put this, so dumped it here.

interesting comments from Martin Rennie, a Scottish coach working in America.

Scroll along to 41 minutes in...

If you can’t be arsed, he basically made two key points.

1) If players aren’t good enough to start for Atlanta, then they’re not good enough for Aberdeen (or shouldn’t be seen as good enough).

2) The flip side is that the good players starting at Atlanta could be earning way more than we could ever afford. Glasgow club levels of wages.

There were other comments that he made that were not good either. He was asked a direct question about whether it would benefit Aberdeen.

”No” was the direct answer. 

Begs the question, WTF is the point? 

Well if you assume we have zero players and you can start with an utterly blank canvas.

It does make sense that some of their second team players become our fringe players for the first team. It's good experience for their players. It saves us money so we can raise the wages/player in the squad and perhaps sign an international striker and international centre back, star up and coming winger etc.

So for example quite ideal that our fourth pick winger and third choice striker should be Atlanta reserves.

On the flip side their reserve team is playing at a higher standard than the Scottish lower leagues, and the facilities are lightyears ahead of most scottish clubs so it makes sense for our reserve team players to join their reserve team.

It works fine if you are starting with a blank canvas. This is not a great summer to see it in action given our squad is a shambles and we need to go major surgery.

edit. final comment. Also, we've not seen it yet but we could at some point over the coming years take one of their first picks from 1st Jan to 1st Mar.

18 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Well if you assume we have zero players and you can start with an utterly blank canvas.

It does make sense that some of their second team players become our fringe players for the first team. It's good experience for their players. It saves us money so we can raise the wages/player in the squad and perhaps sign an international striker and international centre back, star up and coming winger etc.

So for example quite ideal that our fourth pick winger and third choice striker should be Atlanta reserves.

On the flip side their reserve team is playing at a higher standard than the Scottish lower leagues, and the facilities are lightyears ahead of most scottish clubs so it makes sense for our reserve team players to join their reserve team.

It works fine if you are starting with a blank canvas. This is not a great summer to see it in action given our squad is a shambles and we need to go major surgery.

edit. final comment. Also, we've not seen it yet but we could at some point over the coming years take one of their first picks from 1st Jan to 1st Mar.

It’s all irrelevant as soon as you say “assume we have no players & a blank canvas”.

We don't, on either point. 

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

It’s all irrelevant as soon as you say “assume we have no players & a blank canvas”.

We don't, on either point. 

It can work in some transfer windows though so the swapping of players idea is fine in my book. i'm not gonna get excited either way about it. its a good idea for us to have a couple of free players if it helps us get a £6k/week striker who is streets ahead of a £3k/week striker. 

That second piece is they key element to making it a success to accepting waifs and strays 

2 hours ago, Tord31 said:

I would 100% agree to that sentiment. If they aren’t good enough for Atlanta first team they aren’t good enough for us. That’s not to say that Atlanta first team don’t have the odd player way better than us, they do. Atlanta and MLS teams do recruit some pretty decent South American youth players these days that would have potential to make an impression maybe but none would get a work permit. It’s not as if we have pick of the B team, probably only a handful of players would actually stand a chance of a work permit, all the best players wouldn’t get a permit. Chances of the odd player that can get a permit making a impression on our first team is very slim to none. 

MLS fans seem to think of themselves of a a football powerhouse these days for some reason. They have fancy stadiums and facility’s but product on pitch is variable. 

5 hours ago, Yorston Vasey said:

Kyle Lafferty and Kirk Clubfoot now available for free after leaving Kilmarnock.

Be afraid...

Greg Kiltie is also on a free would he be a good shout always thought he was decent when I seen him play. 

martin rennie was a terrible footballer and from what I could gather a pretty crap manager do not sure I’d listen to him 

20 minutes ago, thurso said:

Greg Kiltie is also on a free would he be a good shout always thought he was decent when I seen him play. 

martin rennie was a terrible footballer and from what I could gather a pretty crap manager do not sure I’d listen to him 

Guys shite, a resounding no from me 

28 minutes ago, thurso said:

Calling someone a crap manager “from what you can gather” just after suggesting we sign Greg Kiltie is quite ironic.

Kiltie is shite & was in/out a relegated Killie team. 

Rennie was offering his opinion on the standards of Atlanta compared to Aberdeen, and he’s far better qualified to comment on it than you or me. 

• Upvote 2
33 minutes ago, thurso said:

He's actually been a pretty successful manager. Did really well at Carolina Railhawks, winning the league there, had a really strong first season at Vancouver and left after not making play offs in second season. Basically helped start a new club in South Korea and did decent enough there then went to Indy11 where he transformed them into one of the top teams in their league. 

The guy has a better CV than Glass, there's no doubt about that, and with his knowledge of the Scottish and US game I'd listen to what he's saying about the Atlanta partnership. 

3 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Was Gallagher classed as good enough for Atlanta? Just curious because he certainly wasn’t good enough for Aberdeen 

He had never played a game for first team prior to his loan. He did make a few appearances for first team on return but he’s now at another MLS team hardly getting a game. 

8 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Was Gallagher classed as good enough for Atlanta? Just curious because he certainly wasn’t good enough for Aberdeen 

Gallagher wouldn’t get a game for any team in the Scottish Premiership.

As for Atlanta, as Martin Rennie has suggested, Atlanta’s first team has a few top earners that are way beyond our means, and the rest aren’t good enough.

I don’t see much benefit to us in this “partnership”. 

• Dildo 1
2 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

As for Atlanta, as Martin Rennie has suggested, Atlanta’s first team has a few top earners that are way beyond our means, and the rest aren’t good enough.

Apart from the money they've invested in the club 

• Upvote 3
33 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I think Gallagher was not good enough but he’d definitely get a game for a few teams in this league.

4 hours ago, slippers said:

I would 100% agree to that sentiment. If they aren’t good enough for Atlanta first team they aren’t good enough for us. That’s not to say that Atlanta first team don’t have the odd player way better than us, they do. Atlanta and MLS teams do recruit some pretty decent South American youth players these days that would have potential to make an impression maybe but none would get a work permit. It’s not as if we have pick of the B team, probably only a handful of players would actually stand a chance of a work permit, all the best players wouldn’t get a permit. Chances of the odd player that can get a permit making a impression on our first team is very slim to none. 

MLS fans seem to think of themselves of a a football powerhouse these days for some reason. They have fancy stadiums and facility’s but product on pitch is variable. 

If Aberdeen lost a meaningful tie to those Yankee Doodle cunts I’d be expecting protests outside the main stand after