Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

2 hours ago, slippers said:

He had never played a game for first team prior to his loan. He did make a few appearances for first team on return but he’s now at another MLS team hardly getting a game. 

He's played in every game since he signed for them, what do you mean hardly gets a game?

Doesn't say much for the standard over there though does it?

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Sorry, I was specifically talking about the “player trading” part. 

Well we're going to be the junior partner in that arrangement due to Atlanta investing money in us rather than the other way round. 

The downside is that there's not an awful lot of difference in the standard between the two teams so there's unlikely to be many players they give us that will be a stand out in our team. 

The best we can probably hope for is that taking a few of their guys on loan as squad filler frees up some cash for us to make better signings of our own. 

5 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Well we're going to be the junior partner in that arrangement due to Atlanta investing money in us rather than the other way round. 

The downside is that there's not an awful lot of difference in the standard between the two teams so there's unlikely to be many players they give us that will be a stand out in our team. 

The best we can probably hope for is that taking a few of their guys on loan as squad filler frees up some cash for us to make better signings of our own. 

Aye, maybe.

By the sounds of it there’s little or no middle ground.

Their players are either way out of our wage structure, or not good enough for our starting X1. 
Two examples of the latter being Jake Mulraney & Emerson Hyndman, who regularly start for them. 

17 hours ago, Sheeptastic said:

He's actually been a pretty successful manager. Did really well at Carolina Railhawks, winning the league there, had a really strong first season at Vancouver and left after not making play offs in second season. Basically helped start a new club in South Korea and did decent enough there then went to Indy11 where he transformed them into one of the top teams in their league. 

The guy has a better CV than Glass, there's no doubt about that, and with his knowledge of the Scottish and US game I'd listen to what he's saying about the Atlanta partnership. 

He mostly managed at the same level as glass in the lower level football over there and was sacked by Vancouver after two seasons. 
If he was announced as Aberdeen manager not a soul would be happy. 

• Downvote 1
1 hour ago, thurso said:

He mostly managed at the same level as glass in the lower level football over there and was sacked by Vancouver after two seasons. 
If he was announced as Aberdeen manager not a soul would be happy. 

As he points out in that podcast, Vancouver haven't hit the heights of his first season since. 

He's been in management longer than Glass and has won more honours. Obviously has MLS experience too, so it's not really a question that he has more experience. He just does. 

But I don't think anyone is touting him for the Aberdeen job in this thread, rather making the point that he's more qualified to speak about the merits of our Atlanta partnership than you or me. So if he says he has concerns over it, I'm willing to listen to that judgement. 

18 hours ago, YipYip1903 said:

He's played in every game since he signed for them, what do you mean hardly gets a game?

Doesn't say much for the standard over there though does it?

He’s averaged about 40 mins a game this season, so he’s hardly played. Maybe bit of a reach with the hardly played but he’s not a regular starter. 

Agreed it does not say much about the level. MLS is a bit like what the Chinese super league was before it went tits up, each team has some star players but a lot of the squad players aren’t the best. Varying abilities, some good and some poor. 

To be fair to young Gallagher he was a RB his whole life more or less and played off the striker/RM/CM with del. 

Not saying he was any good just feel he got a bit of a raw deal. I think how bad he was is exaggerated. 

11 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

To be fair to young Gallagher he was a RB his whole life more or less and played off the striker/RM/CM with del. 

Not saying he was any good just feel he got a bit of a raw deal. I think how bad he was is exaggerated. 

Think he’s playing as a Striker at Austin? Certainly not RB. 

On 6/4/2021 at 11:13 PM, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Aye, maybe.

By the sounds of it there’s little or no middle ground.

Their players are either way out of our wage structure, or not good enough for our starting X1. 
Two examples of the latter being Jake Mulraney & Emerson Hyndman, who regularly start for them. 

Does Jake Mulraney play for the them?

not sure if you’ve mentioned that before ?

• Haha 3
21 hours ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Bit of a myth this. He was an attacking midfielder in college and had a pretty good goalscoring record. 

Converted to a right back with Atlanta 2 as I understand then used as a midfielder by Del. I suspect it was a bit of an adjustment with us but not a new position. 

7 minutes ago, Sheeptastic said:

Bit of a myth this. He was an attacking midfielder in college and had a pretty good goalscoring record. 

Converted to a right back with Atlanta 2 as I understand then used as a midfielder by Del. I suspect it was a bit of an adjustment with us but not a new position. 

He’s a good example of how far just being a good athlete will get you in professional football, regardless of actual ability.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, mainstandmoan said:

Hi guys.

I thought I'd say hello after registering here. I have posted a few bits and pieces at Aberdeen Mad over the years. I hope I can bring you some news over the coming days.

Good to have you onboard and good luck