3 minutes ago, Crossbow said:

Some of the signings and resignings I get - McGinn on reduced wages is fine for example - Devlin looks like a huge gamble but if he's not on much then might just be worth a punt but it's not exactly going to have the gruesome looking over their shoulders except in mockery - Ramirez is not a marquee striker at his best and that looks to be in the past- he's spent more time bench warming than playing as far as I can see. Cormack and Glass look like they talk the talk but when it comes to walking they're struggling.

Devlin “a huge gamble”? It’s a 6 month deal ffs. How is that a huge gamble? 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

The question is have they put something in the deal we can extend automatically if he actually stays fit and kicks on? Or if the bizarre happens will he use us for more wages get fit then leave for another club etc 

1 minute ago, The Gee Man said:

The question is have they put something in the deal we can extend automatically if he actually stays fit and kicks on? Or if the bizarre happens will he use us for more wages get fit then leave for another club etc 

Press says the club can automatically take up the option to extend for the rest of the season. 

9 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

It was mentioned that the club can extend it to the end of the season

1 hour ago, DelMonte said:

Aye. There's practically zero risk involved in giving Devlin a 6 month contract as back up on what is probably reduced wages to see if he can get himself fit again. Probably cost us less than 50k.

Much greater risk imo bringing in a 30 year old American striker with a patchy recent record who has never played in Europe on what will probably be top wages to be our main centre forward. 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Geoff_Tipps said:

I am a bit underwhelmed with the signings / re-signings so far.

Scott Brown - 36 and past it IMO.

JET - 30, 31 this year. Not entirely sure he has the work rate or desire to be a hit. Can show glimpses (so could Rory Fallon). Worry about his level of consistency.

Gallagher - 30, no issues with this signing. Solid SPL defender and should do well.

Rameriez - 30, bit of a left field signing, which I can understand if his stats were impressive, they're not. 

Gurr - 25, Atalanta 2 stalwart. No thanks!

McGinn - 34 when season starts. His best years are a distant memory.

Devlin - 27, absolutely baffling. Spent 3/4 of his time at Aberdeen injured. 

I just can't get excited about that list of signings, especially if you add Ferguson leaving into the mix  

Not exactly the new dawn we hoped for.

Agree with most of this. 

Devlin, for me, always looked brilliantly composed when at Hamilton. So if he gets fit he could be a great centre back in this system Glass wants. No loss on trying to get the guy fit and hopefully save some money down the line. 

Rameirez is one of these flashy signings...exotic. Guy from elsewhere, couple of caps, but a bit like the others, 30. Not finished but for the money he's probably gonna rake in I would prefer someone younger with more in him. 

If Glass really promotes the youth, then I can see the logic with these experienced pros. But that we're yet to see really. And they have to be bloody good enough or we're in trouble. Again, I reckon that's why McGinn stays on...settle the ship a bit and can still do a turn. 

Gurr...nae idea. There's a load of right backs and we go for the guy from reserve side. Can only hope he stays pretty much as a squad player and gets little to no football...unless he turns out to be bloody Cafu!

Ferguson can go if the price is right and we can get some folk in. Its inevitable and might as well be now till we become ultra reliant on his play(Could be argued we do). 

Jet is someone who again, just makes me feel uneasy, someone previous said his workload is a bit off, and that's ma take too. He's a lump with a shot on him. Just feel we need runners and folk that can press and really none of the signings so far have given that impression. 

Gallagher I like, but no pace and not sure he's a ball playing defender either! Still hope he puts one in the onion bag on Monday!!!

36 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye. There's practically zero risk involved in giving Devlin a 6 month contract as back up on what is probably reduced wages to see if he can get himself fit again. Probably cost us less than 50k.

Much greater risk imo bringing in a 30 year old American striker with a patchy recent record who has never played in Europe on what will probably be top wages to be our main centre forward. 

It depends on whether he's being kept on as the back up centre half or as a we'll keep him and hope we get a player but no danger if we don't as we have enough back-up anyway - as far as I can see (and I may be wrong) at present we have Considine and Gallagher with McCrorie and Devlin as back up should one or both of the starters get injured/suspended. It doesn't exactly reek of central defensive solidity.

2 hours ago, DelMonte said:

It's not a gamble, it's a total waste of money.

He hasn't been fit for 2 years, next 6 months aren't going to be any different. And even if he does somehow get himself fit, how long is it going to take him to regain any sort of form having been out for so long?

I've nothing against the guy, but we aren't a charity. We need guys who can actually contribute.

• Upvote 2
10 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

Just a question, if we go with a back 3, could brown be the middle of the 3. As long as other 2 have pace!

I think he'll play a back four with the full backs pushing on and Brown sitting deeper between the centre backs which is pretty much the role he's been playing for Celtic the last 18 months or so. 

1 hour ago, thegodfuzzy said:

Agree with most of this. 

Devlin, for me, always looked brilliantly composed when at Hamilton. So if he gets fit he could be a great centre back in this system Glass wants. No loss on trying to get the guy fit and hopefully save some money down the line. 

Rameirez is one of these flashy signings...exotic. Guy from elsewhere, couple of caps, but a bit like the others, 30. Not finished but for the money he's probably gonna rake in I would prefer someone younger with more in him. 

If Glass really promotes the youth, then I can see the logic with these experienced pros. But that we're yet to see really. And they have to be bloody good enough or we're in trouble. Again, I reckon that's why McGinn stays on...settle the ship a bit and can still do a turn. 

Gurr...nae idea. There's a load of right backs and we go for the guy from reserve side. Can only hope he stays pretty much as a squad player and gets little to no football...unless he turns out to be bloody Cafu!

Ferguson can go if the price is right and we can get some folk in. Its inevitable and might as well be now till we become ultra reliant on his play(Could be argued we do). 

Jet is someone who again, just makes me feel uneasy, someone previous said his workload is a bit off, and that's ma take too. He's a lump with a shot on him. Just feel we need runners and folk that can press and really none of the signings so far have given that impression. 

Gallagher I like, but no pace and not sure he's a ball playing defender either! Still hope he puts one in the onion bag on Monday!!!

Tbf... The last lazy striker we had sitting up top scored a bag of goals for us ;)

I sometimes think we could be done with a lazy striker who doesn't get too involved and just stays in the box! Been sorely missed since Rooney left... Never replaced him. 

I can't fault signing JET, I muttered the words "we should sign him" when he was turning us inside out. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, Geoff_Tipps said:

If that's your approach to signings I assume you were delighted when we signed Curtis Main?

I get your point but just because Main didn't work out that doesn't mean that Thomas won't. 

Should we never sign players who play well against us because a signing from Motherwell didn't work out once upon a time? 

There are a few reasons why Thomas might not work out, attitude to fitness and inability to settle for sustained periods being the main ones, but none have to do with Curtis Main

I think JET will be a handy player for us. He was getting better and better as the season wore on.

It's another Maynard/Wilson/Ramirez punt. He used to be a top striker so take a punt on getting him back to his best.

It may or may not work out but at least he has the benefit of being able to play in several positions when we expect to be dominating the game. No fear we'll be playing him at all in a big game though as he cant run.

• Upvote 1