3 hours ago, BonnieDon said:

I think it will be quite telling to see how other clubs such as both the Edinburgh sides and Dundee Utd operate this window. If indeed our current transfer activity is part of a cost cutting exercise due to the loses from this past season (and in preparation for potential loses this coming season) then I fully expect everyone else to be in the same boat. And remember, unlike most teams we have navigated this past season near debt free.

From that perspective, both Gallagher and Brown are fantastic additions to our side as well as retaining the services of McGinn (and dare I say potentially Devlin for 6 months) on reduced terms is a sensible move.

I'm quite intrigued to see how Gurr gets on. It's only a one year deal, he won't be on a huge wage, his arrival shouldn't impede on Ramsay's development, he's worked with Glass previously/understands his system and we have Hernandez returning in January. Essentially Gurr is just an interim signing until Ramsay is ready to solidify his place in the first team starting lineup. 

If we are in talks with the likes of Irvine and McGrath it will probably take longer to get it over the line due to the competition for their signatures. Personally I'm more excited by the prospect of Teddy Jenks then McGrath. He won't cost us much, a stand out in EPL reserve league and unlike McGrath he doesn't involve a significant transfer fee that I don't feel we can justify during the current pandemic. Not to discredit McGrath's goal contribution for St Mirren but the majority of his goals was from the penalty spot.

You'd rather have a young Brighton player on loan than sign McGrath on a permanent contract?  

35 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

You'd rather have a young Brighton player on loan than sign McGrath on a permanent contract?  

Yes. I'm not convinced McGrath is worth the supposed 500k St Mirren are asking for.

I'd much rather we invested that fee to sign promising talent like Hibs have done with Nisbett and now Daniel Mackay.

1 hour ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Who's second choice to Clark Robertson? 

That's a bit of a bloody worry

As much as I might be happy that he is not coming, its a little concerning that if we wanted him that he has chosen to go to Pompey ahead of us as Pompey are currently in the process of making large cuts to the wage bill and from what we are led to believe it seems Glass went back in and made a revised offer and he still chose not to come.

Pompey themselves lost their left centre back to Wigan who were able to offer him better terms than we could.

I really hope we are not using all our budget to pay huge wages in Scottish terms to a 30 year old American striker who hasn't been in form since 2017 and who has only had one good season playing at the top level over there.

8 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

I really hope we are not using all our budget to pay huge wages in Scottish terms to a 30 year old American striker who hasn't been in form since 2017 and who has only had one good season playing at the top level over there.

Ehmm,  you better sit down,  I've got some terrible news... 

Just now, Zander1903 said:

anyone  with a name like that is gonna try  harder  to prove a point

Aye. 

It's just a daft point though. Rather have a guy from Brighton on loan who has played two first team games in the league cup than a guy on a permanent contract that's proved himself in our division and just been called up to his international squad just because he's going to cost a few hundred grand?

45 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

As much as I might be happy that he is not coming, its a little concerning that if we wanted him that he has chosen to go to Pompey ahead of us as Pompey are currently in the process of making large cuts to the wage bill and from what we are led to believe it seems Glass went back in and made a revised offer and he still chose not to come.

Pompey themselves lost their left centre back to Wigan who were able to offer him better terms than we could.

How are you led to believe that?

I've not seen or read anything to suggest that.

15 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

How are you led to believe that?

I've not seen or read anything to suggest that.

It was widely reported a couple of weeks back that we had went back in with a revised offer and I posted a link to it at the time. Think the report I posted was from a journalist at the Independent if I remember correctly and it detailed that we had went back in for him with a revised offer as we saw him as a priority signing.

And as for the chose not to come, I'm just going by the fact that we know he was at Cormack park and had held talks with us and its now being widely reported today that he has agreed to sign for Pompey if he passes the medical.

6 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

It was widely reported a couple of weeks back that we had went back in with a revised offer and I posted a link to it at the time. Think the report I posted was from a journalist at the Independent if I remember correctly and it detailed that we had went back in for him with a revised offer as we saw him as a priority signing.

And as for the chose not to come, I'm just going by the fact that we know he was at Cormack park and had held talks with us and its now being widely reported today that he has agreed to sign for Pompey if he passes the medical.

Aye but just because journalists speculate it doesn't make it true.