6 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

It was widely reported a couple of weeks back that we had went back in with a revised offer and I posted a link to it at the time. Think the report I posted was from a journalist at the Independent if I remember correctly and it detailed that we had went back in for him with a revised offer as we saw him as a priority signing.

And as for the chose not to come, I'm just going by the fact that we know he was at Cormack park and had held talks with us and its now being widely reported today that he has agreed to sign for Pompey if he passes the medical.

Aye but just because journalists speculate it doesn't make it true. 

4 hours ago, NEM said:

Thank fuck that make up wearing hun fanny hasn’t signed ???

Went to a reserve game about 5 years ago. Young player gave Robertson a bit of a short pass,  he screamed "what the fuck am i supposed to do with that? " at him. Never liked him since, the hun mutant. 

7 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

What makes you think Jenks will be better than McGrath? 

It's not just a matter of is he a better player but rather is it a better deal for Aberdeen. 

We'll have to see how Jenks gets on before we can say he's "better" but he's clearly a good player given there was strong interest from English Championship sides and Brighton see a future for Jenks with them. He was one of the top performers in the EPL reserve league scoring 8 goals in 23 games. Much like Gurr he is just an interim signing for the next season who will cost us next to nothing. Again, I'd much rather see the club invest the 500k into younger talent that we can sell on for a greater profit than we could/would with McGrath.

So if we sign Ramirez, that's what...2 strikers? We need at least another 1 or 2. 

We still need another couple of CBs. We've got Considine, who's getting on in the years and Gallagher.  Devlin also, but can't be relied upon. 

We need a decent winger.  

We need another attacking midfielders, as we've a ton of DMs already, having just brought in another. 

We need a LB. We have McKenzie, but he's not going to play every game and also Considine. But going by the lack of CBs, he's not going to be shifted across at this rate. And he doesn't fit the attacking Wing Back role.

It's worrying that he's saying we'll add "two or three more". What positions exactly? We need AT LEAST 4. A Striker, a CB, a LB and a winger. 

4 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

So if we sign Ramirez, that's what...2 strikers? We need at least another 1 or 2. 

We still need another couple of CBs. We've got Considine, who's getting on in the years and Gallagher.  Devlin also, but can't be relied upon. 

We need a decent winger.  

We need another attacking midfielders, as we've a ton of DMs already, having just brought in another. 

We need a LB. We have McKenzie, but he's not going to play every game and also Considine. But going by the lack of CBs, he's not going to be shifted across at this rate. And he doesn't fit the attacking Wing Back role.

It's worrying that he's saying we'll add "two or three more". What positions exactly? We need AT LEAST 4. A Striker, a CB, a LB and a winger. 

We're short in terms of numbers up front, at left back (if you count Jonny as a winger) and at centre back. 

We're also short in terms of capability in a few other areas, wide right and attacking midfield especially. 

Still only the 23rd June though so plenty time yet. 

12 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

We need a decent winger.  

Based on Ramirez signing we need a LCB and a creative player. I don’t want to be greedy. As much as we could be doing with a few more players I’d rather get by with what we have and push the boat out on a creative player and a LCB. We need to be concentrating on quality over quantity. 

10 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We're short in terms of numbers up front, at left back (if you count Jonny as a winger) and at centre back. 

We're also short in terms of capability in a few other areas, wide right and attacking midfield especially. 

Still only the 23rd June though so plenty time yet. 

It's more the "we're bringing in 2 or 3 more" that worries me. Those numbers are not enough, considering we might lose Ferguson and a load of players are gone this summer too.  I'm happy to wait on players if they are the right quality, but if we only sign 2 more players then we're really going to struggle next season. That's without the inevitable injuries that we'll sustain throughout the season.

Granted, we'll be supplementing the squad with youth players.   The worry is that bar the two full backs, the others haven't shown anything yet to be thrown into the first team. Virtanen did look decent when he came on for his debut mind you. 

I guess if those 2/3 we bring in are of a high level, then that will bring the quality up, but if they are going to be of the Gurr / Hendry level then it's going to be a long season. 

9 hours ago, BonnieDon said:

It's not just a matter of is he a better player but rather is it a better deal for Aberdeen. 

We'll have to see how Jenks gets on before we can say he's "better" but he's clearly a good player given there was strong interest from English Championship sides and Brighton see a future for Jenks with them. He was one of the top performers in the EPL reserve league scoring 8 goals in 23 games. Much like Gurr he is just an interim signing for the next season who will cost us next to nothing. Again, I'd much rather see the club invest the 500k into younger talent that we can sell on for a greater profit than we could/would with McGrath.

I'd rather have the better player.  It's up to the club to manage the finances, not us. 

And anyway, the numbers we are talking about can be covered by finishing one place higher in the league or progressing one round further in one of the cups. 

19 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

It's more the "we're bringing in 2 or 3 more" that worries me. Those numbers are not enough, considering we might lose Ferguson and a load of players are gone this summer too.  I'm happy to wait on players if they are the right quality, but if we only sign 2 more players then we're really going to struggle next season. That's without the inevitable injuries that we'll sustain throughout the season.

Granted, we'll be supplementing the squad with youth players.   The worry is that bar the two full backs, the others haven't shown anything yet to be thrown into the first team. Virtanen did look decent when he came on for his debut mind you. 

I guess if those 2/3 we bring in are of a high level, then that will bring the quality up, but if they are going to be of the Gurr / Hendry level then it's going to be a long season. 

I'm thinking by 2 or 3 more he means before the Euro game. Most clubs won't sanction deals for players under contract until they have replacements lined up or signed. That likely won't happen until late July/early August IMO. And if we are looking over the pond these deals will take much longer due to permit issues if they aren't British. Ie Ramirez. 

13 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I'd rather have the better player.  It's up to the club to manage the finances, not us. 

And anyway, the numbers we are talking about can be covered by finishing one place higher in the league or progressing one round further in one of the cups. 

And also selling McGrath on for profit in a couple of years if he continues to progress 

3 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

And also selling McGrath on for profit in a couple of years if he continues to progress 

Correct. Another area where his post makes little sense.  McGrath is still young enough to be turned for a profit down the line. 

Unlike Teddy Jenks who isn't even our player. 

Or Thomas and Gallagher who are about 6 years older than McGrath. 

6 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Correct. Another area where his post makes little sense.  McGrath is still young enough to be turned for a profit down the line. 

Unlike Teddy Jenks who isn't even our player. 

Or Thomas and Gallagher who are about 6 years older than McGrath. 

If Cormack wants to be taken seriously after all his hoo-ha about “exciting signings”, it’s the kind of signing he needs to make to back up his words. 

3 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

I wonder if he was talking about Scott Brown with that "Exciting Signing". I really hope not. 

So far we've seen Brown, Gallagher and Thomas come in.  All signings which you can see the logic behind for different reasons. Not sure I'd describe them as exciting but maybe I'm hard to please. 

Signing players like Jenks and Gurr at this stage is a wee bit of a worry though, these are the type of guys that you'd expect to see come in right at the end of a window to plug gaps, not in June. 

11 hours ago, BonnieDon said:

We'll have to see how Jenks gets on before we can say he's "better" but he's clearly a good player given there was strong interest from English Championship sides and Brighton see a future for Jenks with them. He was one of the top performers in the EPL reserve league scoring 8 goals in 23 games. Much like Gurr he is just an interim signing for the next season who will cost us next to nothing. 

What makes you so sure this guy is clearly a good player? 

He's made 2 appearances for Brighton. 

A start in the league cup in September 2019.

Then a sub appearance in the same competition 12 months later. 

Nothing since. Not even an appearance off the bench.  Not really the appearance record of someone who is rated as highly as you claim at his club.  Or someone who is clearly better value than say McGrath. 

Made a few appearances for England under 17s in a finals competition they failed to get out of the groups.  Then never been selected in the higher age groups. 

This is all pure speculation on your part.  Just like your speculation re Jack Gurr who you described as 'a very very smart signing' despite him barely playing at anything resembling a decent level by the age of 25.

Both these signings are cheap gambles. Nothing wrong with that but let's not pretend it's anything other than that. 

• Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

I wonder if he was talking about Scott Brown with that "Exciting Signing". I really hope not. 

Think you would give him that as exciting signing in fairness regardless of age. But the excitement was taken away really because it had been leaked for about a month before unveiling. I’d also debate that the “exciting signings” chat was once brown had signed?

I think cormack thinks that Ramirez is a exciting signing but it’s hard to get excited about a MLS reserve player. He may well be the real deal but certainly no guarantee  he will do the business for us. 

Ramirez is on route surely...the striker links have disappeared besides his name. I keep seeing Hendry talked about here, kinda get the same feeling, he'll be brought in latterly. 

I think Ferguson is off, and so the money could then be reinvested bringing in players that are needed still. Left centre back for one. I think till there's movement there, we could be chasing these deals that basically sound guff. i.e Gurr. Feels like there's no money to go for the like of McGrath until his own deal is done next year, and so as previously mentioned there may be a plan here with Jenks and Gurr(If Hernandez makes his way back or there's someone else on the radar) etc...fill some squad places even though I think most feel we're crying out for folk to go into the starting 11. 

I love Considine, I think he's old school and thats not the only reason I say this, that loyalty and love for his team, I feel should be applauded in todays game. I'm not suggesting he should be starting every game, but he's more than capable and too easy to knock at. He's at the end...no danger, but he can do a shift(Please, for fuck sake, not at left back). 

There's time yet, but its not lost on me either how many of these signings were supposed to be "Exciting" and I think we've had those in Cormack's terms...Brown and Gallagher and Ramirez if that does go through. I think there's a plan though and as someone previously mentioned the signings can be looked at with that plan in mind...as long as it comes off!

Here's bloody hoping!

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, StandFree1982 said:

Judging by the amount of exposure Briwn has had on red tv and the strip launch I would imagine he is  viewed as that “exciting signing”   My guess is that there possibly were a couple more who would have fallen into the “exciting” bracket that showed a willingness to talk to the club but for whatever reason we couldn’t get across the line.  Griffiths is likely to have been one of those players.   I think a lot will depend on whether we receive an acceptable offer for Ferguson.  I have a feeling that he will be with us until January at least.  

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

What makes you so sure this guy is clearly a good player? 

He's made 2 appearances for Brighton. 

A start in the league cup in September 2019.

Then a sub appearance in the same competition 12 months later. 

Nothing since. Not even an appearance off the bench.  Not really the appearance record of someone who is rated as highly as you claim at his club.  Or someone who is clearly better value than say McGrath. 

Made a few appearances for England under 17s in a finals competition they failed to get out of the groups.  Then never been selected in the higher age groups. 

This is all pure speculation on your part.  Just like your speculation re Jack Gurr who you described as 'a very very smart signing' despite him barely playing at anything resembling a decent level by the age of 25.

Both these signings are cheap gambles. Nothing wrong with that but let's not pretend it's anything other than that. 

Jenks has been heavily praised by Brighton fans, some saying he's the best young prospect they've seen in a very long time, and is an England u21 international. You'd expect him to be at a decent level. These kind of loans will either be hit or miss though, could turn out to either be a Lowe/Aluko/Ward/Maddison/Hector class player or a Notman/Edmondson/Hornby type 

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Jenks has been heavily praised by Brighton fans, some saying he's the best young prospect they've seen in a very long time, and is an England u21 international. You'd expect him to be at a decent level. These kind of loans will either be hit or miss though, could turn out to either be a Lowe/Aluko/Ward/Maddison/Hector class player or a Notman/Edmondson/Hornby type 

When did he become an England Under 21 international?