15 hours ago, RED_JOHN said:

We don’t want to sign strikers just because they have a good work rate, movement and link up play….strikers need to score goals. All the other things should be a given anyway.

Disagree, Marley Watkins was a great loan signing pre his injury last season. Few goals but was integral to our form at time.

I am maybe old fashioned in the way I want my strikers judged. If we want to win things I reckon we need good goal scoring strikers. All professional players should be able to control a ball, pass well and hold it up when necessary. It’s maybe our past recruitment that has easily pleased a few of you regarding Watkins.

• Upvote 1
  • Dildo 2

Watkins certainly gave us a different option to the hoof it up to Cosgrove that was our main tactic at the time.
His movement and general link up play was a breath of fresh air cos at the time Cosgrove looked disinterested and nothing really stuck when it went up to him.

Given that Glass & Co had fuck all to do with the loan signing of Hendry, I don’t see him returning. 

If there is dough left in the kitty, I’d like to see a young up coming front player signed, a “project” signing if you will. Surely with Russell’s contacts, he could source such a player.

I wouldn’t have been averse to the return of Watkins but that ship has sailed now, with the signing of JET and Ramirez,

On 7/2/2021 at 4:31 PM, BonnieDon said:

As mentioned elsewhere, Hibs have offered 250k for Jamie McCart of St Johnstone. A 24 year old left sided centre back.

Personally think we should be going in with a bid ourselves.

On 7/2/2021 at 4:35 PM, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye its a no brainer 

Popular lad...

Hibernian face stiff competition to sign St Johnstone defender Jamie McCart, with Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland, Nottingham Forest and Barnsley all keen on the 24-year-old, along with Belgian club Royale Union Saint-Gilloise.

4 hours ago, ThomohawkKid said:

Watkins can cover any of the front 4 positions. I’d take him happily on a 2 year deal. 

^^ this

played good with him in the team last season, marley( my dogs name), wright (prick) & hedges made us watchable for  a change

maybe could have scored more but the link up play brought others into the game, no surprise the decline started with his injury

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, Zander1903 said:

^^ this

played good with him in the team last season, marley( my dogs name), wright (prick) & hedges made us watchable for  a change

maybe could have scored more but the link up play brought others into the game, no surprise the decline started with his injury

Yup, if we'd kept those 3 fit (and at the club) all season I think it would have been a completely different story.

10 hours ago, RED_JOHN said:

Hopefully with Stephen Glass running the show during this preseason Funso Ojo and Matt Kennedy look like totally different players from what we normally witness when out on the pitch. Both need huge confidence installed into them.

I would also hope that Joe Lewis and Andrew Considine have a big improvement on their ability to concentrate and stay focused but in all honesty I don’t think they are upto it. 

I have very little faith that there is any kind of player good enough for Aberdeen in Kennedy, maybe a very slim chance that Ojo could get a chance if he improved but not much faith there either tbh

5 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

Given that Glass & Co had fuck all to do with the loan signing of Hendry, I don’t see him returning. 

If there is dough left in the kitty, I’d like to see a young up coming front player signed, a “project” signing if you will. Surely with Russell’s contacts, he could source such a player.

I wouldn’t have been averse to the return of Watkins but that ship has sailed now, with the signing of JET and Ramirez,

4 hours ago, North_Andy_Dandy said:

They’ve said they’ll only add quality to the squad so hopefully that rules out Hendry. But I wouldn’t mind signing a young striker with potential for a small fee but it looks like our focus is on the short term by the business we’ve done already. 

Glass has categorically stated he will not sign players as ‘gambles’ which also contradicts the earlier chat from him & Cormack. They are focused on old ‘pros’ which also contradicts his not signing ‘gambles’ as they can easily be injured &/or turn out to be cart horses 

1 hour ago, Don_Corleone said:

Yup, if we'd kept those 3 fit (and at the club) all season I think it would have been a completely different story.

And it might have been enough to keep McInnes in a job,though I think it was as much a lucky coincedence of players,as it was McInnes inspiration.

Happy to have Watkins back if available/affordable

5 hours ago, North_Andy_Dandy said:

They’ve said they’ll only add quality to the squad so hopefully that rules out Hendry. But I wouldn’t mind signing a young striker with potential for a small fee but it looks like our focus is on the short term by the business we’ve done already. 

Instead of signing a young striker with potential why not just give young ruth a chance as back up 

• Downvote 1
33 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

I have very little faith that there is any kind of player good enough for Aberdeen in Kennedy, maybe a very slim chance that Ojo could get a chance if he improved but not much faith there either tbh

When the team played good with Watkins up front with Wright and hedges behind him I thought Kennedy was good in the wingback role and hayes on the other side. I’d hope he could get back to that kinda form. Ojo on the other hand I thought was pretty crap throughout 

13 minutes ago, thurso said:

Instead of signing a young striker with potential why not just give young ruth a chance as back up 

I’d be open to given Ruth some game time but my thinking was someone from an academy down south. It all could change once this new chief scout gets announced he may have some players on a shortlist we could target straight away. 

25 minutes ago, North_Andy_Dandy said:

It all could change once this new chief scout gets announced he may have some players on a shortlist we could target straight away. 

One thing is for certain…Cormack hasn’t exactly financially backed Glass as such so far. We have signed up some new players but certainly not enough so far. We are certainly spending less than what I hoped for but he still (Cormack) has time to prove me wrong.

13 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

One thing is for certain…Cormack hasn’t exactly financially backed Glass as such so far. We have signed up some new players but certainly not enough so far. We are certainly spending less than what I hoped for but he still (Cormack) has time to prove me wrong.

I’d say he has been backed to a degree but not as fully as we were all hoping for. I can only assume that Cormack is hoping to see fans back in the ground and money coming into the club before he starts opening his wallet again. Hopefully this and if we can get into the group stages in Europe will see some money spent on quality players but that would be nearer the end of the window.

I really hope Cormack does back Glass better and genuinely makes us a real threat to the league title never mind the cups. His statement about winning will need to be backed financially. Don’t hold back Dave….all the money spent on training facilities etc will mean nothing if the goods on the pitch aren’t strong enough to be serious contenders. 

• Dildo 2
3 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Nah.

He needs to be playing regular football to progress. 

Best to loan him out & bring in a 3rd striker IMO. 

The 3rd striker should be a loan then as if not when Ruth comes back from his loan he would be 4th choice further down the pecking order 

• Downvote 1
4 hours ago, super_al said:

I think the plan has been to sign established players in the short term to get us through the Euro ties and allow us time to source the head of recruitment. Once that position is filled I suspect we will see signings more akin to what we expect. 

Bit risky if that is what we are doing to sign only one centre half when you have released  two and (as far as we know) retained one who is always injured on a 6 month contract. And having never replaced McKenna from almost a year ago. Hacken are no mugs.

I think Dave Cormack has realised he won’t sell the season tickets he wants because the Aberdeen apathy is hard to remove.

The only way is through big investment in the team and having a squad that genuinely looks like they will win things. 
There is only a certain amount of sympathy fans they can take advantage of….the rest of us want an exciting team that looks like it means business before we decide to purchase a season ticket.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Dildo 1
3 hours ago, slippers said:

Very Celtic esk mentality which has served them well this past 3-4 seasons in CL qualification...

where as rangers speculated and it’s unfortunately massively paid off! 

Aye but Rangers can speculate and if they fail they just go bust and start again. Few years touring the lower leagues then come up, speculate, win the league again all while the Dons do fuck all