Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

53 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

Head of recruitment should really be the manager’s job. He should have scouts in place (which we have anyway) to give him feedback about potential signings. Paying someone else to do part of his job is just another modern waste of money. Alex Ferguson didn’t need a head of recruitment so I reckon Glass should follow suit.

Times have changed since Sir Alex was a manager, even the best managers in world football don’t run the recruitment side of things anymore. They ask for a player that fits a certain role and the recruitment team find the best possible candidates within budget

58 minutes ago, Redtaz2 said:

Reasonable post RJ  but there does appear to be a lot more to signing a player now with agents ,specific contracts ,  image rights etc 

SAH would and did struggle with this modern world and eventually had such individuals in place at Man U to deal with this 

Agree, it was said that David Gill leaving at the same time as Sir Alex left was almost as significant a loss as Sir Alex was as he dealt with recruitment 

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Hoofball said:

Agree, it was said that Peter Kenyon leaving and joining Chelsea at the same time as Sir Alex left was almost as significant a loss as Sir Alex was as he dealt with recruitment 

It was David Gill. Peter Kenyon left for Chelsea 10 years before Ferguson. 

• Upvote 2
  • Dildo 1
17 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

David Gill never joined Chelsea.

Made a right arse of that and got mixed up with the pair completely.

Kenyon was the one that left Man Utd for Chelsea (Roman bought Chelsea) and then got Robben and I believe another player to turndown Utd even tho they’d verbally agreed to join them and then joined Chelsea instead

Gill just left at the same time as Sir Alex and was replaced by Woodward.

Think that’s correct 

1 minute ago, Hoofball said:

Made a right area of that and got mixed up with the pair completely.

Kenyon was the one that left Man Utd for Chelsea (Roman bought Chelsea) and then got Robben and I believe another player to turndown Utd even tho they’d verbally agreed to join them and then joined Chelsea instead

Gill just left at the same time as Sir Alex and was replaced by Woodward.

Think that’s correct 

Got there in the end. 

• Upvote 1

Signing football players has been made hard by bringing all these non entities into clubs. We don’t need head of recruitment, director of football etc….what a complete waste of money. All you need is good scouts, a good manager and a good chairman in place. All clubs have scouts, managers and chairman but mostly the majority are lazy and don’t actually work hard enough and this is why we have all these idiots doing these dreamed up positions. 
Any club that has a head of recruitment and a director of football needs to have a good look at themselves. They are costing the club wasted financial funds….it would be better spent on getting a decent player in. 

1 hour ago, RED_JOHN said:

Signing football players has been made hard by bringing all these non entities into clubs. We don’t need head of recruitment, director of football etc….what a complete waste of money. All you need is good scouts, a good manager and a good chairman in place. All clubs have scouts, managers and chairman but mostly the majority are lazy and don’t actually work hard enough and this is why we have all these idiots doing these dreamed up positions. 
Any club that has a head of recruitment and a director of football needs to have a good look at themselves. They are costing the club wasted financial funds….it would be better spent on getting a decent player in. 

Signing players has been made hard due to money grabbing agents.

Every club has a head of recruitment and most have director of football because football has moved on and managers don’t have the time to deal with everything and it’s got nothing to do with laziness.

Club wasting money on a head of recruitment and director of football to then say sign a decent player. Said decent player will have an agent who will demand a fee what the club will pay. Isn’t that then a waste of money 

2 hours ago, Hoofball said:

Signing players has been made hard due to money grabbing agents.

Every club has a head of recruitment and most have director of football because football has moved on and managers don’t have the time to deal with everything and it’s got nothing to do with laziness.

Club wasting money on a head of recruitment and director of football to then say sign a decent player. Said decent player will have an agent who will demand a fee what the club will pay. Isn’t that then a waste of money 

The agent could ask for a fee whether we have a director of football or not. We don’t need them to decide whether to pay anything or not, that would be up to the non lazy chairman.

1 hour ago, RED_JOHN said:

The agent could ask for a fee whether we have a director of football or not. We don’t need them to decide whether to pay anything or not, that would be up to the non lazy chairman.

We’re going around in circles here, football has moved on significantly since Sir Alex was here and clubs are run completely different.

You think it’s laziness how clubs are ran and I don’t so we can agree to disagree

12 minutes ago, Hoofball said:

My stubbornness outweighs my laziness. So I will not give in ?

Good to hear. You are wrong for the reason we have won next to zilch or even zilch with a director of football and with this head of recruitment position. 
My preferred way seen us win a few more trophies. Trophies equals winners. 
Once your way wins trophies for us I may be more excepting. Until then….

55 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

Good to hear. You are wrong for the reason we have won next to zilch or even zilch with a director of football and with this head of recruitment position. 

We have almost recruited more staff than players since Glass joined. Manager (Glass) Head of Recruitment (Johnston probably), Director of Football (Gunn), Assistant Manager (Russell) another Assistant Manager (Apaloo), Player Coach (Brown) - we've still got Robson, Simpson, Marshall, the other guy who works with younger players who i can't remember. I guess McInnes was on such a massive wage that we might well be paying all these guys less than we were shelling out before for Derek, Doc and Sheerin and Russ Richardson.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, South Stand Seagull said:

MLS reporters saying Chris Mueller, CF Orlando City, has signed a pre contract for a Scottish club once the MLS season is over November. 

Some speculation it’s us because of Glass and Ramirez. But who knows. 

Good spot. Plays mostly as a right winger so just what we are needing.

8 hours ago, RED_JOHN said:

Was an equal playing field when we won trophies. Nobody had a director of football or head of recruitment. Man City have both. Liverpool have both. Man Utd have both. Chelsea have both. All very successful. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, South Stand Seagull said:

MLS reporters saying Chris Mueller, CF Orlando City, has signed a pre contract for a Scottish club once the MLS season is over November. 

Some speculation it’s us because of Glass and Ramirez. But who knows. 

Kickback saying it's Hearts. Can't see it myself. Transfermarkt has him valued at over £3m, and we've got Ginnelly right wing so not a priority position. Feels like a Celtic signing. Would be a coup if Aberdeen or Hearts.