10 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

How long do McCart and Jason Kerr have on their contracts?

Cant see any way we’d pay half a million for Jamie McGrath when we could get him for free next summer and relative buttons in Jan.

If we wait it risks allowing another team to nip in ahead of us and snap him up. And even if they didn't, St Mirren would probably prefer to keep him till his contract runs out  than lose him for £100k or so in January. If we were guaranteed to be keeping Ferguson till next summer, it would probably be worth risking leaving and getting him on a pre-contract In January (assuming no other team has snapped him up). But if we are looking to sell Ferguson for big money this window then we shouldn't be fucking around.....get him signed up!

Assuming there's no freak result on Thursday, the cash we make from the next gate plus the Hacken gate and the accrued prize money would just about pay for McGrath even before any cash comes in for selling Ferguson

21 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

If we wait it risks allowing another team to nip in ahead of us and snap him up. And even if they didn't, St Mirren would probably prefer to keep him till his contract runs out  than lose him for £100k or so in January. If we were guaranteed to be keeping Ferguson till next summer, it would probably be worth risking leaving and getting him on a pre-contract In January (assuming no other team has snapped him up). But if we are looking to sell Ferguson for big money this window then we shouldn't be fucking around.....get him signed up!

Assuming there's no freak result on Thursday, the cash we make from the next gate plus the Hacken gate and the accrued prize money would just about pay for McGrath even before any cash comes in for selling Ferguson

Yeah maybe so, but it’s not the Aberdeen way, to spunk that amount of dough on someone with only 12 months left on their contract, even if there is a new Sheriff in town, with all new ideas.

2 hours ago, redstrummer said:

Kerr would be the one to try and get 

Too many right footed CH imo if we went for Kerr. Considine might last the season as first choice but he will be 35 by the time it finishes and can't be expected to get another extension next summer, certainly not as first choice anyway. 

McCart for me

Just now, Ten Caat said:

Too many right footed CH imo if we went for Kerr. Considine might last the season as first choice but he will be 35 by the time it finishes and can't be expected to get another extension next summer, certainly not as first choice anyway. 

McCart for me

We're not doing this left foot, right foot stuff again are we? 

I thought we'd consigned that to the bin some time ago. 

Just now, aberdeen1970 said:

We're not doing this left foot, right foot stuff again are we? 

I thought we'd consigned that to the bin some time ago. 

Totally irrelevant as none of us have any say in who Glass might or might not go for. But my preference is for a right footed/left footed CH pairing. Won't deviate from that opinion

2 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

Do we need to have our centre backs being right or left footed?

No harm on both being right or both left.

Exactly. 

We gave him a long list of right footed centre halves who played on the left of a two. 

We even gave him a long list of right footed left backs. 

We also told him his theory would have meant looking to replace Miller or McLeish. 

Yet it still isn't put to bed. 

It appears he'd rather sign an inferior player because they've got the correct 'foot'. 

11 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I normally do respect your opinion but this one is bonkers 

Why? We have one recognised left back in MacKenzie, who is in and out of the side (I don't recognise Hayes as one, honestly think he's a fucking liability there)

Considine has filled in there in the past, not too disastrously. A left sided CH would give us that option. And also the option to play as a back 3 when required. And as I already mentioned....Considine cannot be expecting a further extension beyond this season. If we signed Kerr we'd have 3/4 right sided centre backs in Gallagher, McCrorie, Devlin and then Kerr (or any other right sided CH that might be signed). To me that is an unbalanced squad.

Kerr is also slightly undersized as a CH in modern day terms (although he is very mobile as an upside). 

2 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Why? We have one recognised left back in MacKenzie, who is in and out of the side (I don't recognise Hayes as one, honestly think he's a fucking liability there)

Considine has filled in there in the past, not too disastrously. A left sided CH would give us that option. And also the option to play as a back 3 when required. And as I already mentioned....Considine cannot be expecting a further extension beyond this season. If we signed Kerr we'd have 3/4 right sided centre backs in Gallagher, McCrorie, Devlin and then Kerr (or any other right sided CH that might be signed). To me that is an unbalanced squad.

Kerr is also slightly undersized as a CH in modern day terms (although he is very mobile as an upside). 

We should get the best centre halves we can as long as they can play in a pair.  Regardless of preferred foot. 

Centre backs shouldn't be confused with left backs.  Totally different skill set required. 

6 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We should get the best centre halves we can as long as they can play in a pair.  Regardless of preferred foot. 

Centre backs shouldn't be confused with left backs.  Totally different skill set required. 

Correct! The fact we pricked about without a proper left back for years under McInnes is mental. 

10 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

We had a proper LB, but he was in midfield 

We also had Mckenzie who is now 22 in the youth all those years. Dont think he would be at club had Mcinnes still been at club and he could well be our first choice LB. Are we to believe he wasn't good enough up until now? 

1 hour ago, Betty Swallicks said:

Correct! The fact we pricked about without a proper left back for years under McInnes is mental. 

Aye. 

That kind confused thinking between centre and left backs ends up with the likes of Greg Leigh being signed. Someone who is useless in a number of positions rather than being useful in a position you actually need someone for.