3 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

I didn't realise we were paying 500k for this young lad?! 

One you can't even compare the 2 of them. There will be developed ment compansation around half that amount . Due so I would think the Martin Boyle deal is the best by far. But I may not be allowed a opinion ?

What we know (or at least have read from reports) is that the boy has pace, which is something we don't have right now in our forward line.

We don't really know anything else at the moment (unless anyone on here has been studying his performances for Wolves u23s or had him watched during his own spells?).

Do we really need to writing him off before he's kicked a ball for us?

Fuck sakes, let's see what he has about him before we hang him out to dry.

7 minutes ago, Super Don said:

One you can't even compare the 2 of them. There will be developed ment compansation around half that amount . Due so I would think the Martin Boyle deal is the best by far. But I may not be allowed a opinion ?

You compared them! Hahaha

Well, we don't know how much the development fee will be...

the martin Boyle deal is better value? The one where we bid 500k and it was knocked back?! That one? How is that better value? Maybe, if we'd got martin boyle for 500k you could argue that, but we didn't. So...

4 minutes ago, Super Don said:

I won't waste my time there will be developed ment fees . I would personally look for more proven stricker . 1 senior goal. Not very exciting. But may be to you 

Lolz

Remember when the chairman told us about the process they wanted to undertake? Where we try to find some young players, develop them, then sell at a profit? Bringing in players like this is what this involves. He might be shite, he might turn out to be very good, and we manage to flog him for a profit in a couple of years. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Dons79 said:

Lol 

better prospect than the wolves gimp. That a do know!

2nd youngest scorer for wales behind bale and already has ten caps for them!, so has by far a better pedigree and is showing far more promise than the amazing Austin, Failure of Bradford 

To be fair to him, Austin is similar to Woodburn in that he was very highly rated as a youngster and represented England at youth level. Ok, he didn't represent the full international team but England have quite a few more options. Austin was even chosen for by the sun as a boy wonderin the series they did of young players to watch out for ? https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8279461/wolves-austin-samuels-boy-wonder/

He made his debut with the wolves first team and scored on debut in preseason, Yes, it was just preseason but when you consider how many players an EPL team have ffrom first team down to youth level it says a lot that he was even training with them at that age never mind getting a game rather than being sent away with the youth team.

Woodburn looked a huge talent but for various reasons it just doesn't seemed to have worked out at his other loans and Samuel likewise did not have a good time on loan last season. But I would also say that at the time Bradford were going through a particularly difficult time with poor form, injuries and were on a losing run so not the ideal situation for a young striker and its probably fair to say his style of play wasn't suited to them. It was like the spell we had at the turn of this year when any striker playing for us would have struggled too as we were playing terrible football and creating nothing so a strikers confidence disappears.

Sometimes a loan just doesn't work out due to various circumstances so maybe it was just the wrong player at the wrong club. Everyone knows the season McKenna broke through he had a bad loan spell at Ayr, lost his confidence, lost his form, lost his place in the team. Came back here then and built himself up again then got his chance and grabbed it. and there are many other similar examples too. We just have to hope its the case with Samuels too.

Don't get me wrong, he wouldn't have been my first choice and  I would love if we were signing someone who was proven and shown more at first team level, in fact id probably even have preffered to see Callum Hendry back. Its obvious we will need him to have improved a long way and regained confidence but it is a really unfair on Samuels to totally right him off before we have seen him for ourselves and just to judge him on the evidence of a google search and Bradford fans views on social media. 

I would also say think the comments from Cormack and Glass about only signing real top quality and there would be only be players signed who are ready to go straight into the first 11 was a mistake. He would have been better saying that we would only sign players who can offer u something different and can give the first team something new. We do badly need pace up front and Austin will definitely give us that option. Its not his fault the chairman and manager have oversold fans on what we might see coming in so lets not blame Austin and just give him a chance. Fingers crossed he surprises us all. 

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

The agreement will be between the clubs, not the player. 

In the event the clubs trigger the clause then the player will still have the right to accept or refuse what we offer. 

If he refuses then it's Wolves' problem to deal with other suitors, not ours. 

No it won't be. its like any other deal with option to buy. He's basically our player unless we don't want him. Just like Jovic when Benfica loaned him to Frankfurt, they had a buy option which was around 20m. Real Madrid wanted him so Frankfurt activated clause to buy him and sold him to Real Madrid a few weeks later for 3 times as much. Happens all the time!

This is all up there with the theory that we shouldn't sign players who play well against us because Curtis Main didn't work out. 

We've signed a young lad on loan. If he works out great, if he doesn't he and we will move on. 

Folk are too worried about what Hearts and Hibs are doing.  You can't compare individual signings in isolation. 

13 minutes ago, Super Don said:

I won't waste my time there will be developed ment fees . I would personally look for more proven stricker . 1 senior goal. Not very exciting. But may be to you 

Two different positions and scenarios. 

Boyle is a winger/striker that would have been signed permanently and would have came in and started most games.

This boys coming in on loan as a third choice striker. Likely on the bench most games. 

2 minutes ago, slippers said:

No it won't be. its like any other deal with option to buy. He's basically our player unless we don't want him. Just like Jovic when Benfica loaned him to Frankfurt, they had a buy option which was around 20m. Real Madrid wanted him so Frankfurt activated clause to buy him and sold him to Real Madrid a few weeks later for 3 times as much. Happens all the time!

Yes but the player will still be able to say no unless he's already agreed terms with us. 

Not all contracts are the same. 

18 minutes ago, Jazzer08 said:

What we know (or at least have read from reports) is that the boy has pace, which is something we don't have right now in our forward line.

We don't really know anything else at the moment (unless anyone on here has been studying his performances for Wolves u23s or had him watched during his own spells?).

Do we really need to writing him off before he's kicked a ball for us?

Fuck sakes, let's see what he has about him before we hang him out to dry.

Spoke to someone that has played with him alot and said he's quick off mark and a very good finisher. Hopefully he's good enough to step up to decent standard of football.

7 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Two different positions and scenarios. 

Boyle is a winger/striker that would have been signed permanently and would have came in and started most games.

This boys coming in on loan as a third choice striker. Likely on the bench most games. 

Also 2 different slants! Boyle at 28 and £500k no resale value in all honesty, this young lad “could” with the right encouragement be decent and we get similar to Cosgrove another £2 million banked! Ideally we all want starters at this point with injuries etc but we also want the club to try the Celtic model, buy low and get a decent sell on fee! Mistakes as is proven at tic will happen 

30 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Pace is needed, everyone agrees. 
Hopefully it’s more than just pace he has.

McLennan has pace.

Miles Storey had pace.

As did Josh Parker.

They had or have fuck all else.

Here’s hoping this lad has more about him.

I’m also hoping we sign a more established striker as genuine competition or an alternative to Ramirez. That would then suggest Samuels is seen by Darren Mowbray & the club as a “project” for Allan Russell to work with? 

Agree with all of this.

3 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

Also 2 different slants! Boyle at 28 and £500k no resale value in all honesty, this young lad “could” with the right encouragement be decent and we get similar to Cosgrove another £2 million banked! Ideally we all want starters at this point with injuries etc but we also want the club to try the Celtic model, buy low and get a decent sell on fee! Mistakes as is proven at tic will happen 

I also don't think that we've moved for this guy due to Boyle move breaking down. This will have been in the works for a few weeks.  Boyle would probably have came in as a second striker / winger and this lad coming in to sit on the bench as a 3rd option. Glass is  hopefully realising that JET isn't a out and out striker. 

• Upvote 3
53 minutes ago, Redmist1903 said:

IMO at the minute our attacking options are slightly less shite than last season, at least they are our players and appear motivated. If we take in another half decent striker capable of starting regularly I'd say we are far better off than last season. Hopefully Kennedy is on his way out, we should try to get someone to take on McGinn even though he just signed a new contract, he's done now and offers nothing. We need to put Ruth out on loan to get games to see if he'll be any use also.

Cosgrove / Hornby - Ramerez

Kamberi - JET

Main / Hendry - New half decent striker.

Anderson - Adams

Hedges - Hedges

McLennan - McLennan

Kennedy - Kennedy

McGinn - McGinn

Ruth - Ruth

Adams? Please tell me we signed Che Adams overnight

7 minutes ago, slippers said:

Would people take Griffths out of interest...

Did he no sign a new contract with the Tick? If he’s fit I would take him on some sort of loaner with the weegies  still paying a good dollop of his wage. No way I’d be forking out cash or making him our top earner - he’s way too radge for that.

• Upvote 1