10 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Aye Devlin is a complete irrelevance. 

Gallagher has been guff so far, and McCrorie isn't really a defender. I think McCrorie can do okay in a back 3, but he's a liability in a 2. 

I can't recall much about Bates but it wouldn't take much to improve our defence currently. They were talking him up at Rangers and I seem to remember they were quite disappointed that he left for Germany. The lad has experience playing in different leagues at a decent level, and he's got a few international caps, so he's of a decent calibre.

Not sure what our best 11 is now (assuming Ferguson leaves...)

Lewis

Ramsay Gallagher Bates MacKenzie

Longstaff Brown McCrorie

Hedges Watkins

Ramirez

If the rumours about Hamilton are true, Bates, Hamilton and Gallagher in a back three? 

2 hours ago, Dons79 said:

Well that’s worrying seen as Gallagher has been gut rot since joining!, what particular game have you seen Gallagher excell in a red top so far buddy?.boys looked disinterested, careless, shit. Your saying bates is NOWHERE near that level.

Aye a seem to be the only cunt that rates Gallagher so far ?? I think he’s been very calm, composed and despite pen v hearts pretty assured defensively given our gun ho style at times. Lumps it when nothings on which sometimes is more than I’d like but thought he comfortable coped with ; most European games, livi and raith without rarely leaving second gear, so he’s more to give yet which is a good sign IMO. Put it this way I wouldn’t be blaming him for the goals other than pen v hearts n it’s fairly soft IMO. 
chipping it over GMS head is my personal highlight so far. 

I think if you ask a 100 people gallacher or Bates at least 99 pick Gallagher. 

Lol at folk claiming they know much about Bates. Big followers of the Bundesliga 2 and Belgian first division? Doubt it. 

There's no way he'll be worse than McCrorie, and he'll actually play so will be better than Devlin. Hopefully him and Gallagher can strike up a decent partnership. Gallagher has been poor so far but with a run of games beside another actual defender I reckon he'll improve.

• Upvote 4
Just now, ThomohawkKid said:

Hamilton the players agent is very keen to get him a move. Hamilton the club might feel the pressure and lower their estimation.

Hamilton are very good at giving young players a chance and letting them move on when a reasonable offer comes in.

Hopefully they aren't still holding a grudge about not getting as much for Fergie as they'd hoped though. Is it only the obligatory % they are due when we sell him?

• Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, Rico1903 said:

If the rumours about Hamilton are true, Bates, Hamilton and Gallagher in a back three? 

Personally, I'd be delighted with those as our central defence options. Gallagher is a good defender and just needs sometime/confidence to get going. Bates will also require a few games to get into gear. If true, the young lad Hamilton looks really promising and would be a fantastic replacement for Devlin/Considine going forward. Would certainly argue we are stronger defensively this season especially in the wing back positions.

I think it's the right time for Ferguson to leave. A good player on his day and has plenty of potential to develop however I wouldn't say he's as good as his other namesakes and IMO I find him to be inconsistent. I wouldn't be remotely surprised if the energetic Longstaff outshines him during his time with us. I would say 3 million plus add ons is a good offer for Fergie.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Rico1903 said:

That would be decent and allow us to deploy Ramsey and to an extent McKenzie as wing backs as for me I'm nae too sure how great Ramsey is at actually defending. McCroarie as back up, Consie on his way out and Devlin hopefully released in January.

I'd be more than happy with Bates, Hamilton, Gallagher and McCrorie as our 4 centre backs. Improvement on last season for sure. 

2 hours ago, ThomohawkKid said:

Aye a seem to be the only cunt that rates Gallagher so far ?? I think he’s been very calm, composed and despite pen v hearts pretty assured defensively given our gun ho style at times. Lumps it when nothings on which sometimes is more than I’d like but thought he comfortable coped with ; most European games, livi and raith without rarely leaving second gear, so he’s more to give yet which is a good sign IMO. Put it this way I wouldn’t be blaming him for the goals other than pen v hearts n it’s fairly soft IMO. 
chipping it over GMS head is my personal highlight so far. 

I think if you ask a 100 people gallacher or Bates at least 99 pick Gallagher. 

but 100 would spell "Gallagher" the same twice in the same line

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, milne_afc said:

Still waiting for anyone to provide some evidence of the boy Longshanks being a decent player.

@ebbe a few sub appearances over 3 years and the word of a notoriously stupid support does not fill me with confidence tbh

Supports don’t come anymore stupid than ours, see Exhibit A above.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Richard Gordon saying that’s us done after signing Bates as far as incomings go. Can’t help but think the lack of pace and width is going to hamper us.

The way that Glass shapes us up doesn’t appear to rely on pace or width, seems to be far more about possession with 3 strapped across the midfield. Reminds me of the better days of Alex Smith’s tenure.

That said, why was he expecting Ojo, for example, to burst past the opposition full back, on thu night?

Maybe the expectation would be for Watkins or Hedges to do that?

6 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Richard Gordon saying that’s us done after signing Bates as far as incomings go. Can’t help but think the lack of pace and width is going to hamper us.

I'd be a bit disappointed if we never signed another CB even after Bates. Think we need another one. And like you say another attacking player wouldn't go amiss. Happy with Watkins signing as we know what he gives us but Samuels is a complete unknown. That one could go either way. 

28 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Yeah , heard that but I wasn’t overly convinced.  He then went on to say that things will change for all clubs if acceptable bids come in for their players.   I thought he was trying to get Derek Ferguson to jump  into the conversation but he wasn’t biting.  We may see 1 more come in if a couple leave.  

1 hour ago, AyrshireSheep said:

Cormack teasing some breaking news. David Bates would hardly be breaking news. Too much to ask for an agreement been reached for Jamie Hamilton? ?

Could be the decision has been made to stay in Aberden and accept the Councils offer to deliver a new stadium at the Beach