1 minute ago, DelMonte said:

You’ve been asked a few times but I’ll bite again. Why the fuck your saying the same shite over and over? 

Because I have said that until something miraculous happens with Bates & Gallagher (McCrorie is already a lost cause at CH) then I will continue to go on about Glass’s shambolic/amateur efforts at sorting us a central defensive unit that looks semi competent.

Bad enough the clusterfuck he tried to get us in euro groups with but now we have half a season more of that shambles to work with

I was actually reasonably happy when he signed Gallagher (though I hadn’t actually seen him much to say he was decent, just assumed competence) & I thought he was going to add more but then we were linked with Clark fkn Robertson ffs & we only signed fkn Bates because of Considine injury.

Having watched Gallagher a bit more now, all I see is someone that needs someone telling him what to do & he doesn’t have that.

• Site Sponsor
30 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Because I have said that until something miraculous happens with Bates & Gallagher (McCrorie is already a lost cause at CH) then I will continue to go on about Glass’s shambolic/amateur efforts at sorting us a central defensive unit that looks semi competent.

Bad enough the clusterfuck he tried to get us in euro groups with but now we have half a season more of that shambles to work with

29 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Trying to pass Devlin off as some kind of new signing as well ?

27 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

I was actually reasonably happy when he signed Gallagher (though I hadn’t actually seen him much to say he was decent, just assumed competence) & I thought he was going to add more but then we were linked with Clark fkn Robertson ffs & we only signed fkn Bates because of Considine injury.

Having watched Gallagher a bit more now, all I see is someone that needs someone telling him what to do & he doesn’t have that.

Fuck me - three posts in four minutes none of which of any consequence.

Too much time on your hands

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Is that an attempt to imply we have 5 CH’s ?

McCrorie not a CH

Considine likely to never play any meaningful part again other than token game/s

Devlin ???

Bates ? definitely a wait & see but honestly not expecting much

Gallagher, might come good. Not impressed at all so far but maybe he needs an actual competent CH alongside to look competent himself. Doesn’t seem he has that though. 
We have Zero CH’s that look like they can control a back line.

I think we could have the worst defensive record we have had for a great number of seasons this season 

Aye We're doomed. 

5 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Why? Make the point once then when it comes to fruition again maybe you can mention it. We aren’t even playing and you’re mentioning it a heap of times a day. Just stop ffs

2 hours ago, DelMonte said:

Why? Make the point once then when it comes to fruition again maybe you can mention it. We aren’t even playing and you’re mentioning it a heap of times a day. Just stop ffs

I was getting moaned at for repeating the same after EVERY game pretty much this season.

The defence Is a fkn joke & I will repeat this until it becomes something close to acceptable for our level/expectations. Tough shite if yous don’t like this ? 

Why did you repeatedly slate Rooney yet heap praise on May, Goodwillie etc. you were as relentless in that shite as I am rgds our pish excuse for a central defensive unit

To bolster our defence we should drop Joe (the peeping Tom) Lewis. He is conceding too many goals and needs to be more commanding whilst using his experience to keep our younger defenders in check. 
Bates and Gallagher should be the central defensive partnership the next few matches to see how they get on. If McCrorie must be played he would slot in at right back as we push young Ramsay up into the right of midfield giving him more of a wingers role. He can beat players for fun and deliver a ball into the box well. 
The young lad is wasted at just right back. His strengths are going forward.

McCrorie does tend to get brushed off easier by physical players but by and large I think he's done reasonably well and I think maybe just needs a bit of consistency; it would appear Glass sees him as a ball-playing defender which looks about right.

Gallagher seems to talk well and just needs to settle and try get some of his Livingston form back....

For me the problem isn't so much the central defenders. It is clear that our full-backs (are instructed to) play very high and very wide.  For example Jack Mackenzie for all his obvious tough defensive qualities 1v1, which tends to lead to crowd-pleasing crunching tackles, has been caught out several times with suspect positioning.  I think this is partly naivete on his part and partly down to the high-line Glass wants the full-backs playing at with a more compact midfield not offering the same amount of defensive cover in the wide areas.  Ramsay similarly but to a lesser extent has been stretched at times.  It is my view if you get the FBs defending in a slightly more compact back 4, we'll have less pressure on the CBs and likely concede less goals, but possibly to the detriment of our attacking overloads in wide areas borne by the very offensive FBs.

In short, I think Glass may work very hard on that defensive shape over the international break and we'll see that tightening up begin to happen.  I think on paper, other than perhaps failing to bring in a LB, he has bought very well and has a great opportunity to bed everything down over the next few months.

1 hour ago, Bournemouth Gee said:

I think Glass is a good coach ( maybe not great tactician) but he has experience and knowledge around him so I'd expect the defence to improve.

Has he though? Russell has never coached at club level and in any case, is an attacking coach. Brown has never coached at all. This Henry guy, what are his credentials?

16 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Has he though? Russell has never coached at club level and in any case, is an attacking coach. Brown has never coached at all. This Henry guy, what are his credentials?

Henry Apaloo is more a tactical analyst. 

An Ian Cathro if you like.

As I’ve said, the lack of organisation may be the downfall, hopefully not once the new players are bedded in & they get time on the training pitch.  

I'm still slightly at a loss to really understand Glass' style of play and what he's actually trying to get them to do on the park. The only obvious thing is he wants the full backs pushed well forward to provide the width, which is fine, but it leads to quite a lot of other players crammed into the middle, and leaves the centre backs somewhat exposed. 

It seems obvious to me that Ramirez needs a strike partner who can play fairly close to him. When JET was doing that in the first 2 or 3 games they looked dangerous, but since then he's been up top on his own. 

It also seems to me that our play is quite predictable - if i was an opposition manager I'd be setting up to stop the two full backs then counter attacking by hitting diagonals, or balls into the channel in the space they've left by pushing so far up. We don't have much threat through the middle. 

It's been an okay start to the season, and has been more interesting than the last couple of seasons under McInnes, but I hope we begin to see more signs of improvement in the next few weeks as defensively we've been a shambles, midfield hasn't been as controlling as I'd have hoped, and from midfield to attack we still seem to lack pace and creativity (especially without Hedges).

On paper the acquisitions are good - I just hope he gives up playing 6 or 7 central midfielders every week shoehorned into different positions, or it's going to be like McInnes all over tgain.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Henry Apaloo is more a tactical analyst. 

An Ian Cathro if you like.

As I’ve said, the lack of organisation may be the downfall, hopefully not once the new players are bedded in & they get time on the training pitch.  

Get Willie Miller in for some defensive advice :)

8 hours ago, The Hulk said:

McCrorie does tend to get brushed off easier by physical players but by and large I think he's done reasonably well and I think maybe just needs a bit of consistency; it would appear Glass sees him as a ball-playing defender which looks about right.

Gallagher seems to talk well and just needs to settle and try get some of his Livingston form back....

For me the problem isn't so much the central defenders. It is clear that our full-backs (are instructed to) play very high and very wide.  For example Jack Mackenzie for all his obvious tough defensive qualities 1v1, which tends to lead to crowd-pleasing crunching tackles, has been caught out several times with suspect positioning.  I think this is partly naivete on his part and partly down to the high-line Glass wants the full-backs playing at with a more compact midfield not offering the same amount of defensive cover in the wide areas.  Ramsay similarly but to a lesser extent has been stretched at times.  It is my view if you get the FBs defending in a slightly more compact back 4, we'll have less pressure on the CBs and likely concede less goals, but possibly to the detriment of our attacking overloads in wide areas borne by the very offensive FBs.

In short, I think Glass may work very hard on that defensive shape over the international break and we'll see that tightening up begin to happen.  I think on paper, other than perhaps failing to bring in a LB, he has bought very well and has a great opportunity to bed everything down over the next few months.

That doesn’t explain how the majority of our goals  against have come right through middle of defence & not from the wide/FB areas where you seem to think the weakness is

or maybe you are trying to suggest our CH’s are being forced to play as FB’s & leave holes right through middle ?

13 minutes ago, redcryptoknight said:

Looks like we're we may be seeing a breakthrough for Mason Hancock soon.

https://www.afc.co.uk/2021/09/03/preview-mason-hancock-feature/

?for the lad. Hope he is every bit as good as (if not better than) Mckenna when he does break into first team.

Central defence & in goal has got to be easily the hardest areas for young players to really break into first team football.

Obviously mistakes there are far more costly, hope he realises this & is very patient because with two young FB’s already in team it is going to be even harder for him to get a real chance in central defence.

Lets hope we can establish some good commanding leads in some games where we can afford to then give him some decent game time/experience in first team ?

5 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

I admittedly know nothing about him, but was he ever given any sort of chance here under McInnes? Saw he scored for Hamilton the other week? 

To be fair, signed an extension under Glass but then after assessment he was let go.

Aye he scored the other week, against Hearts Youth team.

He turns 23 in January, so wonder if he’ll make it back up to a higher level

• 3 weeks later...

Jamie McGrath - St Mirren demanded £1M all summer and then ended up accepting £500k, and finally £300k at the deadline.

Callum Hendry - Saints demanded a fee all summer and then end up letting him move on loan again.

Missed their opportunity to join the Famous as surely the new gaffer (Broony) will have his own targets in mind.

44 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Jamie McGrath - St Mirren demanded £1M all summer and then ended up accepting £500k, and finally £300k at the deadline.

Callum Hendry - Saints demanded a fee all summer and then end up letting him move on loan again.

Missed their opportunity to join the Famous as surely the new gaffer (Broony) will have his own targets in mind.

Why would we want that coo Callum Hendry?

Was poor first time round. 

McGrath would’ve been good - he danced round Brown like he wasn’t there in setting up St Mirrens 2nd goal on Sunday.