14 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Fuck. That would have been a cracking signing. 

Wonder how much interest and if he was interested in the project. It is nice to hear that we are interested in players like this. Having recruited quite a lot of experience this summer it would be great to have a budget and look to add a few players with potential in January. 

2 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Head of Recruitment coming in well within the transfer window closing too, so maybe some input from him?

Think Steven Gunn said something about a Head of Recruitment “within a couple of weeks”, although maybe picked him up wrong. 

Tommy Johnson has left Blackpool, strong link to him coming here.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Tord31 said:

I still wonder if he might take one of the ex loanees back as third striker. Absolute lol that Hendry would be the most expensive (transfer fee wise... probably not salary wise).

Surely not... Hornby was hopeless, Kamberi looked promising in patches but ultimately delivered nothing, and Hendry despite scoring a couple of goals is not worth spending any money on. Surely to goodness between Glass, Brown, Agadoo, and Russell they can source someone better than Calum Hendry. 

I do wonder whether Jenks might get used up front at times - he's a big lad, and from some highlights of Brighton U23s he looked to be playing more as a centre forward than as a midfielder. 

2 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Surely not... Hornby was hopeless, Kamberi looked promising in patches but ultimately delivered nothing, and Hendry despite scoring a couple of goals is not worth spending any money on. Surely to goodness between Glass, Brown, Agadoo, and Russell they can source someone better than Calum Hendry. 

I do wonder whether Jenks might get used up front at times - he's a big lad, and from some highlights of Brighton U23s he looked to be playing more as a centre forward than as a midfielder. 

Which to me leads to the same question... how does these strikers get good service? 

3 hours ago, RED_JOHN said:

It could well be the first job for our new head of recruitment….find us a decent third striker who will not cost us much dosh.

Sign Marley Watkins - at no cost. We know what we are getting -  high work rate, great movement and link up play, and an eye for a pass in the last third. No brainer. 

• Upvote 5
49 minutes ago, Wee Alickie said:

Sign Marley Watkins - at no cost. We know what we are getting -  high work rate, great movement and link up play, and an eye for a pass in the last third. No brainer. 

We don’t want to sign strikers just because they have a good work rate, movement and link up play….strikers need to score goals. All the other things should be a given anyway.

• Upvote 2
  • Dildo 4

Hopefully with Stephen Glass running the show during this preseason Funso Ojo and Matt Kennedy look like totally different players from what we normally witness when out on the pitch. Both need huge confidence installed into them.

I would also hope that Joe Lewis and Andrew Considine have a big improvement on their ability to concentrate and stay focused but in all honesty I don’t think they are upto it. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Dildo 1
15 hours ago, RED_JOHN said:

We don’t want to sign strikers just because they have a good work rate, movement and link up play….strikers need to score goals. All the other things should be a given anyway.

Disagree, Marley Watkins was a great loan signing pre his injury last season. Few goals but was integral to our form at time.

I am maybe old fashioned in the way I want my strikers judged. If we want to win things I reckon we need good goal scoring strikers. All professional players should be able to control a ball, pass well and hold it up when necessary. It’s maybe our past recruitment that has easily pleased a few of you regarding Watkins.

• Upvote 1
  • Dildo 2

Watkins certainly gave us a different option to the hoof it up to Cosgrove that was our main tactic at the time.
His movement and general link up play was a breath of fresh air cos at the time Cosgrove looked disinterested and nothing really stuck when it went up to him.

Given that Glass & Co had fuck all to do with the loan signing of Hendry, I don’t see him returning. 

If there is dough left in the kitty, I’d like to see a young up coming front player signed, a “project” signing if you will. Surely with Russell’s contacts, he could source such a player.

I wouldn’t have been averse to the return of Watkins but that ship has sailed now, with the signing of JET and Ramirez,