25 minutes ago, Redmist1903 said:

Something defo not right with the whole Devlin thing.

We are maybe not paying him anything at all, just offering him the facilities and medical attention to see if he can get himself fit or if he has to give up the game due to a bad injury or something? Doesn't look like we have any expectation on him to get fit or be fit any time soon, just looks like we are being decent to the guy.

Whatever, we need another decent CB in now, can't believe we've not signed one already, especially given we were pretty far down the road with Robertson months ago.

Could be the case but then again, why the fuck have we left ourselves seriously exposed in a European tie 1st leg with only 2 available centre halves; one of which (McCrorie) its debatable if he even is one.

Scott Burns is usually on the money but I think he’s got this one wrong. And whichever journo it was who asked the question to Glass regarding Devlin should have followed up his question with another asking exactly what the situation is with the lad.

Glass got a bit tetchy yesterday when asked if McCrorie would be deployed at CD going forward, given he’d played the 2 warm up games there. Kinda said how could  anybody come to that conclusion given both games were behind closed doors!! Is he that fucking naive?

3 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Not having a head of recruitment sorted whilst we're in the middle of the transfer window is ridiculous. I know that we need to get the right person in, but we're 5 months away from the next window. So we can't afford to fuck this window up. 

Even then it’s a bit late for this window, even if he came in today, with maybe only another couple coming in.

Guts of the work is done.

There’s maybe a Lewis Ferguson log jam in play here too? Waiting to see if we get a good fee & can bring in 2/3 of better quality than we can today without that fee. 

43 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Not having a head of recruitment sorted whilst we're in the middle of the transfer window is ridiculous. I know that we need to get the right person in, but we're 5 months away from the next window. So we can't afford to fuck this window up. 

Still find it strange Richardson didn’t get his P45 the same time as McInnes. Search could’ve started then instead of waiting until the season was over

58 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Head of recruitment should really be the manager’s job. He should have scouts in place (which we have anyway) to give him feedback about potential signings. Paying someone else to do part of his job is just another modern waste of money. Alex Ferguson didn’t need a head of recruitment so I reckon Glass should follow suit.

53 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

Head of recruitment should really be the manager’s job. He should have scouts in place (which we have anyway) to give him feedback about potential signings. Paying someone else to do part of his job is just another modern waste of money. Alex Ferguson didn’t need a head of recruitment so I reckon Glass should follow suit.

Times have changed since Sir Alex was a manager, even the best managers in world football don’t run the recruitment side of things anymore. They ask for a player that fits a certain role and the recruitment team find the best possible candidates within budget

58 minutes ago, Redtaz2 said:

Reasonable post RJ  but there does appear to be a lot more to signing a player now with agents ,specific contracts ,  image rights etc 

SAH would and did struggle with this modern world and eventually had such individuals in place at Man U to deal with this 

Agree, it was said that David Gill leaving at the same time as Sir Alex left was almost as significant a loss as Sir Alex was as he dealt with recruitment 

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Hoofball said:

Agree, it was said that Peter Kenyon leaving and joining Chelsea at the same time as Sir Alex left was almost as significant a loss as Sir Alex was as he dealt with recruitment 

It was David Gill. Peter Kenyon left for Chelsea 10 years before Ferguson. 

• Upvote 2
  • Dildo 1
17 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

David Gill never joined Chelsea.

Made a right arse of that and got mixed up with the pair completely.

Kenyon was the one that left Man Utd for Chelsea (Roman bought Chelsea) and then got Robben and I believe another player to turndown Utd even tho they’d verbally agreed to join them and then joined Chelsea instead

Gill just left at the same time as Sir Alex and was replaced by Woodward.

Think that’s correct 

1 minute ago, Hoofball said:

Made a right area of that and got mixed up with the pair completely.

Kenyon was the one that left Man Utd for Chelsea (Roman bought Chelsea) and then got Robben and I believe another player to turndown Utd even tho they’d verbally agreed to join them and then joined Chelsea instead

Gill just left at the same time as Sir Alex and was replaced by Woodward.

Think that’s correct 

Got there in the end. 

• Upvote 1

Signing football players has been made hard by bringing all these non entities into clubs. We don’t need head of recruitment, director of football etc….what a complete waste of money. All you need is good scouts, a good manager and a good chairman in place. All clubs have scouts, managers and chairman but mostly the majority are lazy and don’t actually work hard enough and this is why we have all these idiots doing these dreamed up positions. 
Any club that has a head of recruitment and a director of football needs to have a good look at themselves. They are costing the club wasted financial funds….it would be better spent on getting a decent player in. 

1 hour ago, RED_JOHN said:

Signing football players has been made hard by bringing all these non entities into clubs. We don’t need head of recruitment, director of football etc….what a complete waste of money. All you need is good scouts, a good manager and a good chairman in place. All clubs have scouts, managers and chairman but mostly the majority are lazy and don’t actually work hard enough and this is why we have all these idiots doing these dreamed up positions. 
Any club that has a head of recruitment and a director of football needs to have a good look at themselves. They are costing the club wasted financial funds….it would be better spent on getting a decent player in. 

Signing players has been made hard due to money grabbing agents.

Every club has a head of recruitment and most have director of football because football has moved on and managers don’t have the time to deal with everything and it’s got nothing to do with laziness.

Club wasting money on a head of recruitment and director of football to then say sign a decent player. Said decent player will have an agent who will demand a fee what the club will pay. Isn’t that then a waste of money 

2 hours ago, Hoofball said:

Signing players has been made hard due to money grabbing agents.

Every club has a head of recruitment and most have director of football because football has moved on and managers don’t have the time to deal with everything and it’s got nothing to do with laziness.

Club wasting money on a head of recruitment and director of football to then say sign a decent player. Said decent player will have an agent who will demand a fee what the club will pay. Isn’t that then a waste of money 

The agent could ask for a fee whether we have a director of football or not. We don’t need them to decide whether to pay anything or not, that would be up to the non lazy chairman.

1 hour ago, RED_JOHN said:

The agent could ask for a fee whether we have a director of football or not. We don’t need them to decide whether to pay anything or not, that would be up to the non lazy chairman.

We’re going around in circles here, football has moved on significantly since Sir Alex was here and clubs are run completely different.

You think it’s laziness how clubs are ran and I don’t so we can agree to disagree

12 minutes ago, Hoofball said:

My stubbornness outweighs my laziness. So I will not give in ?

Good to hear. You are wrong for the reason we have won next to zilch or even zilch with a director of football and with this head of recruitment position. 
My preferred way seen us win a few more trophies. Trophies equals winners. 
Once your way wins trophies for us I may be more excepting. Until then….

55 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

Good to hear. You are wrong for the reason we have won next to zilch or even zilch with a director of football and with this head of recruitment position. 
My preferred way seen us win a few more trophies. Trophies equals winners. 
Once your way wins trophies for us I may be more excepting. Until then….

We have almost recruited more staff than players since Glass joined. Manager (Glass) Head of Recruitment (Johnston probably), Director of Football (Gunn), Assistant Manager (Russell) another Assistant Manager (Apaloo), Player Coach (Brown) - we've still got Robson, Simpson, Marshall, the other guy who works with younger players who i can't remember. I guess McInnes was on such a massive wage that we might well be paying all these guys less than we were shelling out before for Derek, Doc and Sheerin and Russ Richardson.

• Upvote 1