5 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Not a reliable source at all, but I’ll post it anyway..

That's a blow if true.   Its not often we pick up someone with his ability on a free and we're unlikely to get a fee which would compensate for his loss. 

You would like to think that we wouldn't want it to be seen that our new head of recruitment is letting players go to his brother's club on the cheap so maybe a chance of some extra cash there. 

Best for all concerned if Virtanen moves on. 

Signing Gurr put paid to him being the back up to Ramsay at right back (and McCrorie is also there if necessary). And we have an absolute surfeit of midfielders so getting a game there was going to be well nigh impossible too.

I hope we use the money saved to offer Ramsay a new contract until 2026 and doubling (maybe trebling) his wages in doing so. That would give us long term security so that if he has a season like the young Hibs loon has just had, if/when big English clubs come sniffing we can ask for similar cash as Hibs are about to rake in.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I hope we use the money saved to offer Ramsay a new contract until 2026 and doubling (maybe trebling) his wages in doing so. That would give us long term security so that if he has a season like the young Hibs loon has just had, if/when big English clubs come sniffing we can ask for similar cash as Hibs are about to rake in.

Said the same on another post. Double his wage and get another 2 years security is a no brainer before he continues to improve each week.

9 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Nonsense. The boy's on his first professional contract - random shouts of 'doubling or trebling' his wage guarantees nothing because he'll still likely be way off regular 1st team terms. Anything pocketed aff Virtanen's contract likely won't meet that either.

When he's nailed himself down as 1st choice starter (this season looks promising, but he's nae there yet) then you offer him wages on 1st team terms on the extended contract and convince him his career is best served by staying at Pittodrie through to 2026. He's an Aberdeen boy, at 17 /18 now he and his family should get it - if they don't he'll be offski 1st contract offer anyway

I think our transfers will come down to if we qualify for the group stages, strong enough squad to get us there just now and then if we do qualify for them get rid of the deadwood like kennedy mcgeough and bring in 3 quality players like Jason kerr another creative player and a striker 

5 minutes ago, Jackp said:

I think our transfers will come down to if we qualify for the group stages, strong enough squad to get us there just now and then if we do qualify for them get rid of the deadwood like kennedy mcgeough and bring in 3 quality players like Jason kerr another creative player and a striker 

Glass pretty much saying as much. Dependant on progress in Europe or sending players out on loan. However, given Cormack revealed that they're working on a couple of deals perhaps Glass is just playing his cards closer to his chest than Cormack. 
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/3364405/aberdeen-set-to-offer-ryan-hedges-new-deal/

3 hours ago, Jackp said:

I think we need a central defender, attacking midfielder / winger, and striker.

The more I think about it, the less sure I am that any defender coming in will actually walk straight into the team (Gallagher hasn't even walked straight into the team) - so I'm not actually sure it'll be someone like Jason Kerr... I can't see him dropping Considine, and I imagine that eventually Gallagher will come in alongside him. I also think he will be quite happy using McCrorie there. We definitely need another defender, but I can't see us paying a few hundred thousand pounds and a big wage on someone not guaranteed to start every week. I would guess we might end up with 3 players of the calibre of someone like JET, as opposed to Gallagher, Brown, Ramirez standard signings. This will obviously change if Ferguson and / or Hedges are sold - we'll need to bring in top players to replace them in the starting line up.

I'm not convinced he's gonna sign a defender now. We've still not used Gallagher, Ngwenya and Devlin (no laughing at the back)

Right backs - Ramsay, Gurr and McCrorie

Left backs - Hayes, Mackenzie, Ngwenya and Considine

Centre backs - Gallagher, Considine, McCrorie and Devlin (and Hancock and Turner)

I think he's just going to wing it with those guys.

9 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

I'm not convinced he's gonna sign a defender now. We've still not used Gallagher, Ngwenya and Devlin (no laughing at the back)

Right backs - Ramsay, Gurr and McCrorie

Left backs - Hayes, Mackenzie, Ngwenya and Considine

Centre backs - Gallagher, Considine, McCrorie and Devlin (and Hancock and Turner)

I think he's just going to wing it with those guys.

Suits me. I'd rather see a couple of attacking players come in if it comes down to a choice. 

7 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Suits me. I'd rather see a couple of attacking players come in if it comes down to a choice. 

I think we saw tonight precisely why another CH is required. 

Although I do concede that a back up for Ramirez is also needed. If he gets injured we are fucked

7 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I think we saw tonight precisely why another CH is required. 

Although I do concede that a back up for Ramirez is also needed. If he gets injured we are fucked

Aye, to go alongside Gallagher.

Considine should be first back up & McCrorie isn’t strong enough to be a centre half. The way he defended their first goal, he looked like a midfielder playing at centre half.

To be fair, he played better in a back 3 & I’d be ok with that, but not one of 2 centre halves in a back 4.