1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

And folk suggesting we pull a fast one with Atlanta can forget that too… the MLS transfer window closed on August 5th. 

Does that mean they can't sign him or just can't register him to play in the MLS until the window opens again? 

I.e. Could they sign him, but not be allowed to play him, which wouldn't matter anyway if they're loaning him to us. 

7 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Still enjoy playing Championship Manager, Tord? 

Hahah I was hoping to get a few bites on waiting until January for the centre back.

I'm hopeful that McGrath is back on radar as his move away is never materialising. Kennedy opening talks with St Mirren today.

48 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

There’s no question that DC is very clever in “manipulating” the media. Those rumours about Del before the Hibs game, leaked to Tom English and Richard Gordon….no doubting where those leaks came from. I think this Boyle story could be coming from the same source.

And, DC is on very good terms with Ron Gordon. Maybe backs are being mutually scratched, for beneficiaries in other areas?

Matty Kennedy is in Paisley having his medical so that’s one out the door. I thought maybe the injury to Hedges wound have scuppered that loan move but clearly not.

Hibs are trying to get in their own MLS winger (Mueller) now as opposed to later. It would not be an unsurprising move if they were to offload whilst bringing in another.

1 hour ago, Tord31 said:

I'd guess interest in Ferguson is more the thing that has changed rather than Hedges injury.

You might be proven right but personally i don't think this is the case. The Ferguson situation is the same as it has been all summer, he will go if the price is right but otherwise will stay here and so far no one has came even remotely close to the price we are looking for. And if we had received an offer we felt was acceptable he wouldn't be on the plane to Baku as we saw at the weekend with Hedges how quickly an injury can change and kill any chance of a transfer going ahead.,

The word that had been coming out in recent weeks was that we were hoping to get a young striker in from an EPL team close to the end of the window as back up to Ramirez and other than that we were relying on getting Kennedy out on loan and possibly offloading McGeouch to release some wages to bring in someone else to the squad.

On Sunday everything changes though when we get beat and Hedges gets an injury that's going to keep him out long term. From last season we know that when he was missing their was very little pace and creativity so DC puts in a bid for Boyle knowing that almost certainly it will get knocked back but it looks like an ambitious move to the fans so keeps them onside. Also, if any criticism comes their way for not having decent back up they can say that they tried to get someone else in. Maybe im just too sceptical these days but i cant think we put in that bid with any expectation that this deal might happen and seems like just a wee PR exercise to keep fans behind them after a good start to the season which could quickly unravel and be completely derailed so trying to get the positivity up again. 

1 hour ago, Kiriakov33 said:

Very possibly.  This 500k must be coming from somewhere.  It could well be that Ferguson could be off sooner rather than later.   It would give is a bit of time to source 2-3 players before the second leg.   ( if we are allowed to do that )  Boyle obviously ineligible but hopefully not the only one we have bid / enquired about.  

Could easily just be the money we've made from the european games so far. And with Hedges injury we've decided we need to use it to try and replace him rather than just bank it.

We would need to replace Ferguson if he goes, so if it was money from his sale I'd expect us to be bidding for a CM, not a winger.  

13 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

You might be proven right but personally i don't think this is the case. The Ferguson situation is the same as it has been all summer, he will go if the price is right but otherwise will stay here and so far no one has came even remotely close to the price we are looking for. And if we had received an offer we felt was acceptable he wouldn't be on the plane to Baku as we saw at the weekend with Hedges how quickly an injury can change and kill any chance of a transfer going ahead.,

The word that had been coming out in recent weeks was that we were hoping to get a young striker in from an EPL team close to the end of the window as back up to Ramirez and other than that we were relying on getting Kennedy out on loan and possibly offloading McGeouch to release some wages to bring in someone else to the squad.

On Sunday everything changes though when we get beat and Hedges gets an injury that's going to keep him out long term. From last season we know that when he was missing their was very little pace and creativity so DC puts in a bid for Boyle knowing that almost certainly it will get knocked back but it looks like an ambitious move to the fans so keeps them onside. Also, if any criticism comes their way for not having decent back up they can say that they tried to get someone else in. Maybe im just too sceptical these days but i cant think we put in that bid with any expectation that this deal might happen and seems like just a wee PR exercise to keep fans behind them after a good start to the season which could quickly unravel and be completely derailed so trying to get the positivity up again. 

Boyle talks been ongoing for a long time. That's not to say it will happen this month

All seems very strange tbh. These days clubs don't really bid for someone unless they know they have a realistic chance of getting the player, either the club have set a fee or the player has indicated they'd want to come via an agent.

Maybe we have said to Boyles agent that we will pay him very good money on a 4 year contract and the player is interested and we have tested the water with a bid. If a club activates the release clause from outside Scotland then maybe Hibs will be willing to accept a bit extra from us, if the players preferred destination was Aberdeen despite being direct rivals. 

If this is purely a publicity stunt after Sunday then it is a very dangerous game because even if we don't get Boyle, the fans will be expecting we go and spend that money on someone else. We have also now shown our hand to clubs like St Mirren when bidding for McGrath, that we do have 500k to spend on a player. 

All seems very strange because there is no chance in hell we get our direct rivals best player for 500k, so seems a complete waste of time. 

An awful lot hinges on qualification to group stages or the sale of Ferguson and it could lead to some moves. However, I feel Cormack is so desperate for Glass to do well that he will back him with a couple more good signings regardless. 

Having a wee peak at hibs.net to see their thoughts on the Boyle situation and the delusion amongst Hibs fans is hilarious. Moving to Aberdeen would be a sidewards or downwards step apparently, 1 half decent season (and even then they weren't anything special) and they think they're billy big bollocks... they genuinely seem to think they are a bigger club than us. Looking at their history its just a matter of time until they're relegated again, a yo-yo club if ever there was one.

Boyle would be mad to not push for a step up from such a diddy team!!

4 hours ago, 1983 said:

I’m not so fussed about his age, more I feel he’s in a purple patch and we might end up with an expensive mistake. His whole career has been dogged with no end product in his crossing or scoring - a speedboat without a driver. However, his form last season and the start of this is superb, but I’d worry the previous 10 years is what he will revert to, when we’re at a time of trying to play good football with players who don’t give up easy possession. Would love to be wrong. Would be worth it just for the meltdown in Leith.

Dont agree on the purple patch. I think he's been brilliant ever since Hibs came up, which must be about 4 seasons ago now

4 hours ago, StandFree1982 said:

Glass already said earlier on in the season that he's happy to bring in a player "of that age" because it's less of a gamble. Having a bit of a dig at McInnes signing players on long contracts who were pish  and cost us a fortune to pay off.

Albeit, he's talking about 25-26 year olds and not 19-22 year olds. 

Aye true. £500k on Boyle is certainly better than £300k on Forrester just to pay him off. Probably have to mention Stevie May and 400k as well 

50 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Having a wee peak at hibs.net to see their thoughts on the Boyle situation and the delusion amongst Hibs fans is hilarious. Moving to Aberdeen would be a sidewards or downwards step apparently, 1 half decent season (and even then they weren't anything special) and they think they're billy big bollocks... they genuinely seem to think they are a bigger club than us. Looking at their history its just a matter of time until they're relegated again, a yo-yo club if ever there was one.

Boyle would be mad to not push for a step up from such a diddy team!!

Come on. Of course it is a sideways move. Us Hearts and Hibs are all pretty much the same size. 2 league cups in the last 31 years and beyond the first round of Europe once this century. He'd hardly be leaving Hibs to challenge for something different.... he'd only be doing it to be closer to the Byron Baker

21 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Come on. Of course it is a sideways move. Us Hearts and Hibs are all pretty much the same size. 2 league cups in the last 31 years and beyond the first round of Europe once this century. He'd hardly be leaving Hibs to challenge for something different.... he'd only be doing it to be closer to the Byron Baker

In the last 50 years Hibs have 1 Scottish Cup, 3 League Cups and 2 Championship (First Division) titles and have finished above us 15 time out of 51 attempts since 1970. They've appeared in Europe 16 times (not including Intertoto cup) since 1970.. The Dons over the same period... 3 League titles, 5 Scottish Cups, 5 League Cups and 2 European Trophies... and 32 seasons in Europe.

Even if you're just taking the last 20 years they've still been in our shadow (despite us being awful for a big chunk of that time). They finished above us last season for only the 3rd time in 15 years. In no way can it be classed as even a sideways step.

• Upvote 3
3 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Even if you're just taking the last 20 years they've still been in our shadow (despite us being awful for a big chunk of that time). They finished above us last season for only the 3rd time in 15 years. In no way can it be classed as even a sideways step.

A league cup and a Scottish cup in the last 20 years, versus our solitary league Cup. 

2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th means nothing. Not sure what's making our shadow so big - it's certainly not trophies. 

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

A league cup and a Scottish cup in the last 20 years, versus our solitary league Cup. 

2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th means nothing. Not sure what's making our shadow so big - it's certainly not trophies. 

So if league positions mean nothing does this mean clubs like Ross County and ICT would also be a sideways step from us? They've also won a trophy each in the last 20 years  if thats all that counts?

14 minutes ago, BonnieDon said:

I'd love to see us sell Ferguson for 3.5 million. Sign Boyle (600k) and McGrath (800k). Hedges signs a new 2 year contract.

Reality: None of that will happen.

I certainly wouldn't like to see us sign McGrath for £800k. 

He's got less than a year left on his contract. His true value is probably about £400k but if we sell Ferguson, they'd quote us a higher price knowing we had cash in the bank. He's probably worth going slightly higher for on that basis but no more than £500k. If they want more some other cunts can pay it. 

If he's still available in January, offer a pre-contract.