5 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

It would be naïve to think clubs don't talk to players agents usually before they make a move for them.

And players themselves. Especially youth players like Fraser who have traveled to see other clubs while still under contract at Abeedeen without permission. 

13 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Aberdeen will know fine how the clause works. Their theory will be leak the bid so that another european club makes the £500k bid and if we top it hopefully Hibs will see sense and take the extra money rather than being stubborn.

He may or may not come but I'd be very surprised if he agrees to sign a new deal within the transfer window. 

Boyle will be a Dons man whether it's now, January or 2023.

I hope you are right but if he does sign a new contact in the next day or so would you then admit it doesn't look like we have done our homework?

15 minutes ago, slippers said:

You don't just sign a player in 24 hours, give the club a break. We knew there wouldn't be any signings to add to squad on Thursday but there will be 2/3 added with 1 or 2 going out before window shuts. Hopefully we make the groups and the additions are of real quality. 

I'm not saying that we should have been able to sign a player in 24 hours, I'm just saying we should have been talking to people and making plans just in case something was to happen. Maybe you are right and its all part of a long game and a fine plot which is fair enough if that is the case and I will hold my hands up and admit I have got this completely wrong.

But if he does sign a new contract in the next day or so, and it is as has been reported today and we put in a bid not having known the details of the clause and we were surprised when the bid was rejected I just don't think this reflects well on us at all.

26 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

I agree, so we knew the clause wouldn't be activated. We're obviously playing a game. 

Publicity stunt to appease the fans after going out of the cup. It'll probably backfire though, as other clubs won't deal cheaply with us if they now know we can afford a £500K transfer fee.

I still think we'll bring in two more permanent signings plus a loanee before the window closes. If Ferguson or Hedges are sold, maybe another 1 on top of that. Glass will surely have seen by now that some of the squad can't be relied upon.

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

I hope you are right but if he does sign a new contact in the next day or so would you then admit it doesn't look like we have done our homework?

No it would mean Hibs have made him an offer to extend his contract that he finds acceptable.

17 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

but if you have done your due diligence you won't get made a c#nt of.

I just cannot believe that the club weren't in prior contact with Boyle's agent.

Who would have found out quickly if Boyle was interested in joining us or not. Presumably as we then fired in a bid, the answer was "yes he is". Had he indicated he was happy at Hibs and wasn't interested in joining us, I'm sure we wouldn't have made an offer. 

Surely we're trying to smoke out non Scottish clubs to trigger the clause then try to gazump them. That'll only work if Boyle is determined to come here over anywhere else and Hibs feel forced to sell.  High risk strategy. 

Likelihood is he gets a new contract at Hibs with a pay rise as Hibs will ask us for too much for him.  That 500k will turn to 7 figures pretty quickly and totally change the risk profile of the signing. 

Boyle and his agent hold all the cards here 

18 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Surely we're trying to smoke out non Scottish clubs to trigger the clause then try to gazump them. That'll only work if Boyle is determined to come here over anywhere else and Hibs feel forced to sell.  High risk strategy. 

Likelihood is he gets a new contract at Hibs with a pay rise as Hibs will ask us for too much for him.  That 500k will turn to 7 figures pretty quickly and totally change the risk profile of the signing. 

Boyle and his agent hold all the cards here 

according to the scotsman and some of the other journo's who seem to be close to the story we just decided to go for it and made an ambitious bid for him after Hedges was injured and thought we would be able to get him by bidding 500k but we had not done our due diligence so there was never any chance we would get him. .

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/power-plays-release-clauses-public-rejection-the-story-of-martin-boyle-hibs-aberdeen-and-a-very-probable-new-easter-road-deal-3350001

I applaud Cormack for his ambition with the move to bring in a top spl player and weaken a rival. But we really should be getting making sure we getting all the info and making sure we can do the deal before we take it further. My concern now would be that other clubs will be bumping up prices on other options we have.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

according to the scotsman and some of the other journo's who seem to be close to the story we just decided to go for it and made an ambitious bid for him after Hedges was injured and thought we would be able to get him by bidding 500k but we had not done our due dilligance so there was never any chance we would get him. .

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/power-plays-release-clauses-public-rejection-the-story-of-martin-boyle-hibs-aberdeen-and-a-very-probable-new-easter-road-deal-3350001

I couldn't believe we'd be that naive but amazingly this might actually be the case 

4 hours ago, Tord31 said:

Aberdeen will know fine how the clause works. Their theory will be leak the bid so that another european club makes the £500k bid and if we top it hopefully Hibs will see sense and take the extra money rather than being stubborn.

He may or may not come but I'd be very surprised if he agrees to sign a new deal within the transfer window. 

Boyle will be a Dons man whether it's now, January or 2023.

Is that right aye?