Jump to content

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I’d be happy for Ferguson to go & be replaced with McGrath.

Ferguson is one of 3 or 4 similar types in midfield.

I don’t think Kennedy going would lead to someone coming in though, or the younger lads going out on loan. 

 

Longstaff is Ferguson's replacement. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

Longstaff is Ferguson's replacement. 

Where is Fergie going?  Late in the day now?  Tomorrow night at 11pm... reckon he'll be sitting at home willing his phone to ring!

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Sonoftherock said:

Where is Fergie going?  Late in the day now?  Tomorrow night at 11pm... reckon he'll be sitting at home willing his phone to ring!

Haven't got any word of where he is going. Only thing i got told before Longstaff was announced was that he was signing as a replacement for Ferguson. 

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

Where is Fergie going?  Late in the day now?  Tomorrow night at 11pm... reckon he'll be sitting at home willing his phone to ring!

If the rumours on Twitter are to be believed, Newcastle will loan Ferguson until the end of the season at which point they will pay 3 million plus add ons. 

Ferguson is clearly one of our better players however since Watford expressed their interest in him he's not been so great. I think it's best for all parties that he leaves before the window closes.

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, BonnieDon said:

If the rumours on Twitter are to be believed, Newcastle will loan Ferguson until the end of the season at which point they will pay 3 million plus add ons. 

Ferguson is clearly one of our better players however since Watford expressed their interest in him he's not been so great. I think it's best for all parties that he leaves before the window closes.

A try before they buy like what was attempted with McKenna ? can't see it 

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, BonnieDon said:

If the rumours on Twitter are to be believed, Newcastle will loan Ferguson until the end of the season at which point they will pay 3 million plus add ons. 

Ferguson is clearly one of our better players however since Watford expressed their interest in him he's not been so great. I think it's best for all parties that he leaves before the window closes.

Already been rubbished as Internet rumour. 

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, BonnieDon said:

If the rumours on Twitter are to be believed, Newcastle will loan Ferguson until the end of the season at which point they will pay 3 million plus add ons. 

Ferguson is clearly one of our better players however since Watford expressed their interest in him he's not been so great. I think it's best for all parties that he leaves before the window closes.

Why the hell would we get sucked into a scheme such as that?

Pretty much mirrors what Aston Villa wanted to do with McKenna a couple of years back.......a free trial period with a supposed set fee sale at the end of the loan. But you can bet your bottom dollar the loan agreement would come stuffed with legalese caveats allowing Newcastle to welch on any sale if Ferguson either suffered a bad injury or turned out to be hopeless at that level.

If it's part of the agreement bringing Longstaff here then it's truly bizarre, loaning us a supposedly far higher rated player in return for us loaning them Ferguson. Unless Newcastle have already written Longstaff off as being not good enough.

If a team wants him, they can pay the fee we ask immediately.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Why the hell would we get sucked into a scheme such as that?

Pretty much mirrors what Aston Villa wanted to do with McKenna a couple of years back.......a free trial period with a supposed set fee sale at the end of the loan. But you can bet your bottom dollar the loan agreement would come stuffed with legalese caveats allowing Newcastle to welch on any sale if Ferguson either suffered a bad injury or turned out to be hopeless at that level.

If it's part of the agreement bringing Longstaff here then it's truly bizarre, loaning us a supposedly far higher rated player in return for us loaning them Ferguson. Unless Newcastle have already written Longstaff off as being not good enough.

If a team wants him, they can pay the fee we ask immediately.

Its not so bad if it's an obligation to buy but an option to buy is ludicrous. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, BonnieDon said:

If the rumours on Twitter are to be believed, Newcastle will loan Ferguson until the end of the season at which point they will pay 3 million plus add ons. 

Ferguson is clearly one of our better players however since Watford expressed their interest in him he's not been so great. I think it's best for all parties that he leaves before the window closes.

That arrangement would also make it difficult for us to re-invest it in a replacement. 
I suppose we could still pay £500k for a new player if we knew £3m was coming next year.

That said, I cannot see AFC letting an asset go without some cash up front. 

Share this post


Link to post

I see Mcgeouch never made the bench on Saturday, I can see him moving on as well if anybody wants to take him. Decent player but no point having one of our highest earners not contributing especially given the amount of centre midfielders we have just now.

McGeouch, Kennedy and McGinn could all go and no one would really notice. Ferguson needs sold.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Redmist1903 said:

I see Mcgeouch never made the bench on Saturday, I can see him moving on as well if anybody wants to take him. Decent player but no point having one of our highest earners not contributing especially given the amount of centre midfielders we have just now.

McGeouch, Kennedy and McGinn could all go and no one would really notice. Ferguson needs sold.

Would certainly free up a chunk of wages. However McGinn only just signed an extension in the summer, so doubt he's going anywhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Would certainly free up a chunk of wages. However McGinn only just signed an extension in the summer, so doubt he's going anywhere. 

Bizzare McGinn got a new deal, been hopeless for some time now, can only hope his wages were massively reduced when he signed a new deal

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Redmist1903 said:

I see Mcgeouch never made the bench on Saturday, I can see him moving on as well if anybody wants to take him. Decent player but no point having one of our highest earners not contributing especially given the amount of centre midfielders we have just now.

McGeouch, Kennedy and McGinn could all go and no one would really notice. Ferguson needs sold.

I think McGeouch and Kennedy will leave. Kennedy has clearly not impressed Glass. I like McGeouch but there must be a reason he has barely featured under both McInnes and Glass. Possibly due to his past injuries. If he's not going to feature going forward its best he finds a new club.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Granite95 said:

Bizzare McGinn got a new deal, been hopeless for some time now, can only hope his wages were massively reduced when he signed a new deal

That's almost certainly the case. He'll comfortably sit out the rest of the season with a nice wage coming in, and he'll plough that money into his restaurant or whatever else he's got planned for the future. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, BonnieDon said:

I think McGeouch and Kennedy will leave. Kennedy has clearly not impressed Glass. I like McGeouch but there must be a reason he has barely featured under both McInnes and Glass. Possibly due to his past injuries. If he's not going to feature going forward its best he finds a new club.

He did start a few games not that long ago. Possibly picked up an injury or fallen out of favour. 

Share this post


Link to post

McGeouch has the basic ability of being capable of passing the ball to a teammate.

I like him and there is a place in the squad for him.

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post

Glass said yesterday that there is nobody else coming in at the moment.

He also said there is no movement with any any outgoings.No bids for Ferguson either.

He did hint however if anybody came in for any players then it would affect any more signings.

 

Share this post


Link to post

McGeouch is a tidy footballer but we already have Brown, Ferguson and Longstaff. The issue I have with our central midfielders is that they all want to do the same job. None of the ones we have are really attack minded like a McLean (in his last season anyway). If we sell Ferguson then Longstaff will be his replacement but i still feel we need someone who can take the ball and pick a killer pass quicker. All our guys want too much time and take too many touches. Yesterday being a prime example. 3 and 4 touches just to pass it 5 yards sideways.  Ojo being the biggest culprit. 

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, Tommy said:

McGeouch has the basic ability of being capable of passing the ball to a teammate.

I like him and there is a place in the squad for him.

I'm the same - I quite like him.  I thought he was really impressive at Hibs too.

However, he is rumoured to be one of our top earners.  Not sure we can justify that?

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

I'm the same - I quite like him.  I thought he was really impressive at Hibs too.

However, he is rumoured to be one of our top earners.  Not sure we can justify that?

We need players who are positive and can make things happen.

McGeouch is too slow and negative.

Share this post


Link to post

We've got 7 midfielders for 2 jobs sitting centrally in a pair.   

Debating how to fit 7 into 2 detracts from the main issue which is that we have no one in our squad who looks capable of playing effectively as an advanced central midfielder. 

Which is a huge problem. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

We need players who are positive and can make things happen.

McGeouch is too slow and negative.

Ulitmately I probably can't disagree with you there - we do need more dynamism.  However, McGeouch, if he can stay fit, would do a very good job for another top 6 team I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

Ulitmately I probably can't disagree with you there - we do need more dynamism.  However, McGeouch, if he can stay fit, would do a very good job for another top 6 team I believe.

Surprised we haven't offered him to St Mirren to try and make the McGrath deal happen

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We've got 7 midfielders for 2 jobs sitting centrally in a pair.   

Debating how to fit 7 into 2 detracts from the main issue which is that we have no one in our squad who looks capable of playing effectively as an advanced central midfielder. 

Which is a huge problem. 

 

So we started off with too many midfielders as one of the main squad problems to solves and then we went ahead and signed Brown, Jenks and Longstaff.

So far weve gotten rid of Virtanen and Barron.

Brown, Ferguson, Ojo, McGeouch, McCrorie, Campbell, Longstaff, Jenks.

Weve tried to make McCrorie a centre half, Ojo a winger and Campbell a full back.

 

I understand the argument of a manager wanting to get his own players and own style on the go but I also thinking a very good manager would have been able to work with McCrorie, Ferguson, Ojo, Mcgeouch, campbell and virtanen for 6-12 months and focus on other parts of the team as a bigger priority. 

For me that was - strikers .... well we still only have one number 9. Samuels, JET and Watkins are not proper strikers.

Wingers - who the hell are the wingers? Hedges excellent but beyond that?

Centre half - enough chat on this already and to be fair Gallagher had looked, on paper, to be a cracking signing.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

So we started off with too many midfielders as one of the main squad problems to solves and then we went ahead and signed Brown, Jenks and Longstaff.

So far weve gotten rid of Virtanen and Barron.

Brown, Ferguson, Ojo, McGeouch, McCrorie, Campbell, Longstaff, Jenks.

Weve tried to make McCrorie a centre half, Ojo a winger and Campbell a full back.

 

I understand the argument of a manager wanting to get his own players and own style on the go but I also thinking a very good manager would have been able to work with McCrorie, Ferguson, Ojo, Mcgeouch, campbell and virtanen for 6-12 months and focus on other parts of the team as a bigger priority. 

For me that was - strikers .... well we still only have one number 9. Samuels, JET and Watkins are not proper strikers.

Wingers - who the hell are the wingers? Hedges excellent but beyond that?

Centre half - enough chat on this already and to be fair Gallagher had looked, on paper, to be a cracking signing.

I made this point on twitter last night and got torn apart for it. Got told "we've signed 10 players and we don't have a bottomless pit". Aye but 3 are midfielders FFS. Only Brown was really a requirement. The one area we didn't need and it's where we've recruited the most. It's madness and it should be criticised. 

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

I made this point on twitter last night and got torn apart for it. Got told "we've signed 10 players and we don't have a bottomless pit". Aye but 3 are midfielders FFS. Only Brown was really a requirement. The one area we didn't need and it's where we've recruited the most. It's madness and it should be criticised. 

100%. Unless we signed an incredible number attacking central midfielder. e.g. 10 assists and 5-10 goals per season then we didnt need any midfielders.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

I made this point on twitter last night and got torn apart for it. Got told "we've signed 10 players and we don't have a bottomless pit". Aye but 3 are midfielders FFS. Only Brown was really a requirement. The one area we didn't need and it's where we've recruited the most. It's madness and it should be criticised. 

Yup, we criticised McInnes for signing endless players in the same position... so only right to aim the same criticism at Glass, unless a couple of midfielders are sold. I really can't see why we would sign Longstaff unless we were sure Ferguson would be going. 

Midfielders we now have - Brown, Ojo, Ferguson, Longstaff, Campbell, McGeouch, McCrorie and Jenks (I think he's meant to be a midfielder but who knows!) - 8 for a maximum of 3 positions. Arguably we only really need 2 of those types of midfielders, and the third midfielder should be a much more attack minded player. The boy Callaghan at Ross County actually looked decent in that sort of role - someone who can take the ball in midfield and run with it with a bit of pace and creativity.

I liked the look of the boy Samuels from a few glimpses of what he offered - he has pace and seems quite direct. We know what Watkins offers, and we've still got Hedges to return. To me, Jenks is a waste of a space in the squad - I don't see what he offers. I'd punt him back already. I'd also offload McGinn now if we can, and obviously Kennedy (and probably McLennan) - these guys aren't going to offer much this season. I still think we could do with another Hedges type player, probably another out and out striker for competition with Ramirez (who looked totally knackered at the end of the game yesterday and will no way be able to play 90 mins every game for the rest of the season), and maybe further cover in central defence. I doubt we'll get all that before tomorrow night, but I'd like to see Ferguson and a couple of others out, and at least 1 more in before the end of the window.

Share this post


Link to post

Dode Burnett says there is one more coming in. 

That's good enough for me. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Yup, we criticised McInnes for signing endless players in the same position... so only right to aim the same criticism at Glass, unless a couple of midfielders are sold. I really can't see why we would sign Longstaff unless we were sure Ferguson would be going. 

Midfielders we now have - Brown, Ojo, Ferguson, Longstaff, Campbell, McGeouch, McCrorie and Jenks (I think he's meant to be a midfielder but who knows!) - 8 for a maximum of 3 positions. Arguably we only really need 2 of those types of midfielders, and the third midfielder should be a much more attack minded player. The boy Callaghan at Ross County actually looked decent in that sort of role - someone who can take the ball in midfield and run with it with a bit of pace and creativity.

I liked the look of the boy Samuels from a few glimpses of what he offered - he has pace and seems quite direct. We know what Watkins offers, and we've still got Hedges to return. To me, Jenks is a waste of a space in the squad - I don't see what he offers. I'd punt him back already. I'd also offload McGinn now if we can, and obviously Kennedy (and probably McLennan) - these guys aren't going to offer much this season. I still think we could do with another Hedges type player, probably another out and out striker for competition with Ramirez (who looked totally knackered at the end of the game yesterday and will no way be able to play 90 mins every game for the rest of the season), and maybe further cover in central defence. I doubt we'll get all that before tomorrow night, but I'd like to see Ferguson and a couple of others out, and at least 1 more in before the end of the window.

Try & sell Ferguson.

Ideally offload McGeouch, Kennedy & McGinn

Bring in Jamie Hamilton & Jamie McGrath.

All very easy to say, much harder to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Dode Burnett says there is one more coming in. 

That's good enough for me. 

Let's take the gamble on Griffiths for a season. High risk but high potential return if he starts slamming them in. Certainly a more exciting proposition to even have on the bench than the likes of Jenks, McGinn, Kennedy, McLennan - dump all 4 of them and bring him in instead and even if he plays 50% of the time he'll contribute than the 4 of them put together.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...