28 minutes ago, Sheepo said:

Not getting the negativity towards MacKenzie as he was comfortably our best player tonight, he has played about 5 games and he has improved every time, I am pretty sure he will start next season at left back and right so

Aye he’s looked fine.

Only seen him play twice.

Maybe not the most comfortable going forward? As I say, only seen him twice, so not sure, as he hardly crossed the halfway line last night. 

2 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Aye thats a fair point

When you think of how crap Scotland are at international level in that position, Robertson is absolutely nowhere near the national team. In fact in McKenna, Considine and Gallagher we got, had or are getting most of them! 

I think its tough to judge a centre back cause there's generally not that many good ones these days. Grant Hanley will be captain of an EPL side next season ffs

Norwich will surely sign an upgrade on Hanley in the summer (Probably sign someone that will relegate McLean to the bench for the majority of games too).

It's bad enough that we are looking very likely to sign Robertson, but he will have been on a Championship wage (bottom end obviously, but I doubt he'll be signing for us for £2k/week) and as such would likely be looking for a wage a bit in excess of our average.

I wanted a left sided CH to partner Gallagher. I had no problem if that player was sourced from the EFL........however I was looking for  a player maybe around 22/23 that  has been a first team regular for at least a couple of years and might have been a player we could develop, playing in a better league that could bet us a tidy transfer fee in a couple of years time. Not a journeyman that turns 28 a couple of months into the season and who will never play for a bigger club than us. Suppose i should be careful what I wish for in future.

17 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Aye he’s looked fine.

Maybe not the most comfortable going forward? As I say, only seen him twice, so not sure, as he hardly crossed the halfway line last night. 

I think the getting forward may come with a bit more confidence and experience, he is a bit behind for his age due to DM playing wingers and centre halves there instead of giving him. a chance. I think LB is the least of our worries this Summer for a change

17 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Aye he’s looked fine.

The going forward bit is my big reservation of him. Seems to get a nosebleed the minute he crosses the halfway line and rather than bombing forward letting the opposition worry about him, seems to turn inside and look for a square pass or back to one of the central defenders.

It's just a hunch I have that he isn't going to prove to be the player we all hope he might be. As I've said before, I think Ramsay on the right hand side has a much higher ceiling who will get plenty of game time next season and be fully established as our first choice by the start of season 2022/23. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Dildo 1
6 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

The going forward bit is my big reservation of him. Seems to get a nosebleed the minute he crosses the halfway line and rather than bombing forward letting the opposition worry about him, seems to turn inside and look for a square pass or back to one of the central defenders.

It's just a hunch I have that he isn't going to prove to be the player we all hope he might be. As I've said before, I think Ramsay on the right hand side has a much higher ceiling who will get plenty of game time next season and be fully established as our first choice by the start of season 2022/23. 

I agree with that.

Glass did make a comment about MacKenzie, along the lines of “he’s shown he has what it takes to be in the first team”, so I wouldn’t think a left back will be coming in.

He’ll maybe feel with MacKenzie, Hayes, Considine & (I fucking hope not) Clark Robertson, he’ll have enough cover at left back.

There’s some amount of good recruitment required, here’s hoping Glass is up to it 

He started off the game being fairly adventurous but lost the ball on one of his forays in field late in the first half.  After that he seemed to be a bit more cautious. 

I thought defensively he was fairly solid and dealt with Boyle pretty well for the most part.  Especially since Boyle has caused us huge issues in some of the games against them in the past. 

• Upvote 2

He loses the ball in bad areas too often. On another night they cost goals. Doesn’t seem like a true youth prospect bursting down the first team door, more just fortunate we needed a left back. Be okay as back up but he’s not a starter for me yet (May chance my opinion in time).

McGeouch was best player last night for me when people saying McKenzie. 

• Dildo 1
14 minutes ago, ThomohawkKid said:

He loses the ball in bad areas too often. On another night they cost goals. Doesn’t seem like a true youth prospect bursting down the first team door, more just fortunate we needed a left back. Be okay as back up but he’s not a starter for me yet (May chance my opinion in time).

McGeouch was best player last night for me when people saying McKenzie. 

GIven his build, I'd say McKenzie might be better suited to the role of left sided centre half

It's difficult to judge young players properly at the moment. 

They are breaking into a side that's being asked to play a different system than the one they've been playing for years. 

Many of the first team players have either one eye on the exit door or aren't really equipped to make the change in tactics or just don't have the right mentality. 

So it's a tough gig for a youngster to slot in when there's not the right mindset or support structure in the first team to ease that transition. 

But saying that I think the two full backs have shown enough to be considered in the mix for next year.  

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

Yeah, maybe so. Send him to Atlanta for the summer, or to Scandinavia, to get some decent games under his belt, before returning here next season. Either way, doubt we'll be siging a new LB.

On the other side of defence, we can't expect Ramsay to play every week next season but we have McCrorie there as cover.

At the end of the day, its all down to best utilising the overall budget, and what the priorities are. Full backs would be way down the list, we still have much more important square holes to fill, hopefully with  square pegs.

There is obviously a huge rebuild to do, one which won't be accomplished in one transfer window. May well be the season after next before we see the remants of the McInnes years completely bulldozed. I just hope Glass, who'se not exactly starting from a comfortable position, given the negatativity surrounding his appointment from some quarters (mine included) is given that time, space and most importantly, finance, to do the job.

I disagree re full backs being a priority - there's a severe lack of pace, especially in defensive areas and so some rapid full backs would help, especially if we are going to be defending with as high a line as we tried to v United.

I think left back is the least of our worries. I’m not sure I’d go as far as saying Mackenzie was our best player last night but he was good. He delt with Martin Boyle very well and I can hardly remember him getting past him. Maybe he was told to sit back more as he was against Boyle and he was their main danger man. 

On the Robertson signing. I don’t care if he’s a hun, I’d rather we didn’t sign him as I thought he was pretty crap before but I don’t watch efl games so he could now be brilliant but I highly doubt he’s come on that much playing down there

Just now, thurso said:

I think left back is the least of our worries. I’m not sure I’d go as far as saying Mackenzie was our best player last night but he was good. He delt with Martin Boyle very well and I can hardly remember him getting past him. Maybe he was told to sit back more as he was against Boyle and he was their main danger man. 

On the Robertson signing. I don’t care if he’s a hun, I’d rather we didn’t sign him as I thought he was pretty crap before but I don’t watch efl games so he could now be brilliant but I highly doubt he’s come on that much playing down there

Agree. Strengthening the front 3 is the most important. There's Hibs with Boyle, Doidge and Nisbett. That's what made the difference this season. I'd say we are stronger all over the pitch in the other areas

2 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Agree. Strengthening the front 3 is the most important. There's Hibs with Boyle, Doidge and Nisbett. That's what made the difference this season. I'd say we are stronger all over the pitch in the other areas

I agree there will have to be some good strikers coming in.
Out of the three strikers we are finishing the season with it’s a bad sign if I was going to keep one it would be hendry 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, thurso said:

I agree there will have to be some good strikers coming in.
Out of the three strikers we are finishing the season with it’s a bad sign if I was going to keep one it would be hendry 

Its not just the out and out striker its the attackers player the wider position as well. Hayes, Kennedy, McLennan, McGinn are all past it or shite

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Its not just the out and out striker its the attackers player the wider position as well. Hayes, Kennedy, McLennan, McGinn are all past it or shite

I’d say it’s more a playmaker we need. Someone who can link with hedges and the striker to unlock defences when they sit in like last night 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, thurso said:

I’d say it’s more a playmaker we need. Someone who can link with hedges and the striker to unlock defences when they sit in like last night 

We need both. 
Look at the way he wildly slashed at that chance that came his way.

Hendry as a third choice should be the minimum we hope for. I’d rather have Hendry as 3rd choice than Anderson though. 

There appears to be a host of English sides as well as Dundee Utd, Hearts and Hibs after Clark Robertson. He was played out of position under McInnes and was only a young lad at the time. He's a good age at 27 and has been playing his trade in a better league then the SPL since 2018. He was even touted for a Scotland call up not too long ago. There must be something about the lad. I hold the same reservations many may have but he could shock us all and turn out to be a good player. Whatever the case its looking increasingly likely Gallagher will be partnered by Robertson next season. 

If you compile all the rumours/paper talk so far we are currently being linked with the following:

Leigh Griffiths, Dion Charles, Jamie McGrath, Marvin Johnson, Reagen Hendry, Allan Campbell (Stoke are considering making a move for him) and Clark Robertson. 

I'm delighted with the pre-contract signings of Scott Brown and Declan Gallagher. I don't think any of the out of contract players should be kept on nor the current loanees.

37 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

We need both. 
Look at the way he wildly slashed at that chance that came his way.

Hendry as a third choice should be the minimum we hope for. I’d rather have Hendry as 3rd choice than Anderson though. 

We need to move on from these guys. Darren Mackie level stuff.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Therein lies your problem fruit man. Therein lies your problem.

An injury is just around the corner.

I hope not as I don't wish that on anyone but history dictates unfortunately. It spoke volumes when Hibs were happy they didn't get him, because they have been through it before.

Aye McGeouch has only had 1 injury free season in his entire career.

A signing that didn't make sense at the time and still doesn't. 

50 minutes ago, BonnieDon said:

We need to move on from these guys. Darren Mackie level stuff.

I don’t disagree.... but at the same time, we’re not the kind of club that can afford to have 3 top strikers on the books.

There will be a pecking order of sorts. 

The third striker should maybe be a “project” for Allan Russell, a younger player with potential maybe.

Fuck knows. I just know that we need some optimism in the forward areas of the team. 

53 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Dylan 'safe' McGeough is not of a standard I want next season.

I don't believe I've ever seen him look up to make a forward pass since he has been here.

I'm maybe being slightly harsh but he isn't someone who will drive the game forward. Willo Flood was of similar ilk to McGeough but knew when to play it forward and when to be safe. McGeough is safe every single time even when we have an option to move forward, always goes back to the defence or keeper.

Agree with this Mcgeouch was far too slow moving the ball last night and often moved it to the side or backwards. I think Glass wants to get the ball quickly to the front players before the opposition can get into there defensive shape, too often last night we got the ball forward but only after Hibs were set in there shape

58 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Dylan 'safe' McGeough is not of a standard I want next season.

I don't believe I've ever seen him look up to make a forward pass since he has been here.

I'm maybe being slightly harsh but he isn't someone who will drive the game forward. Willo Flood was of similar ilk to McGeough but knew when to play it forward and when to be safe. McGeough is safe every single time even when we have an option to move forward, always goes back to the defence or keeper.

I suspect Brown will be filling that role next season, allowing McGeouch to play a bit higher up the pitch. Where he played for Hibs and had his best spell of form. He's only got a year left on his contract, if he can keep himself fit and play regularly he might be worth an extension. But keeping himself fit is a big if.

5 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I suspect Brown will be filling that role next season, allowing McGeouch to play a bit higher up the pitch. Where he played for Hibs and had his best spell of form. He's only got a year left on his contract, if he can keep himself fit and play regularly he might be worth an extension. But keeping himself fit is a big if.

It’s likely the old, make a real effort as only got 1 year left. Play well for 3 months get a new deal and then out injured again 

16 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I don’t think he has the “legs” to play further up the pitch as an “8”.

Playing in the deep lying role is the only one he’s capable of IMO. 
And if fit, Brown will play the majority you’d think. 

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

I recall McGeough scoring Hibs’ 2nd v us in the Cup semi of 4 years ago, great drive into the box and a one two.

But, injuries have taken their toll, cant play that role now.