Steven Gunn- Football Operations Manager.

34 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

Interesting comment from DC about the traffic light system where they ranked player's value by wages to game time/output. I'm sure he was referring to folk like Wilson, Bryson and many other failures that both McInnes and the scouting team had us buy in.

I definetly see the 'stradejee' that Dave's looking to build here. One that for many years, was completely back to front. One where McInnes, through Milne's obvious desire to hand him the reigns and do no 'stradejisin' whatsoever, meant we spent a lot, to achieve not much in return. Let's not forget, those years we had very little competition in the league. But we had a huge wastage in terms of personnel. That must have been so obvious to Dave when he came back in as Vice Chairman - it was even obvious to many fans, that saw through McInnes as the holy grail.

It's not rocket science this football malarky.... have a decent youth system (even Hamilton nailed that one).... a plan for embedding the most promising at 1st team level and sell them for massive profit. Scout players that will provide value for money. And a coaching and footballing 'stradejee' that sees a defined way of playing that will attract crowds back. It was all cocked up before - McInnes had far too much say in what went out.... Milne far too little (probably a good thing as it happens). DC is no mug. He's building the foundations that will be appropriate for a club our size with the ambitions we all have. The personnel may change out, but without the blueprint for success, we'll never get close.

I’d certainly suggest Ferguson’s agent possibly hasn’t picked the best time to call our bluff.

51 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

Interesting comment from DC about the traffic light system where they ranked player's value by wages to game time/output. I'm sure he was referring to folk like Wilson, Bryson and many other failures that both McInnes and the scouting team had us buy in.

I definetly see the 'stradejee' that Dave's looking to build here. One that for many years, was completely back to front. One where McInnes, through Milne's obvious desire to hand him the reigns and do no 'stradejisin' whatsoever, meant we spent a lot, to achieve not much in return. Let's not forget, those years we had very little competition in the league. But we had a huge wastage in terms of personnel. That must have been so obvious to Dave when he came back in as Vice Chairman - it was even obvious to many fans, that saw through McInnes as the holy grail.

It's not rocket science this football malarky.... have a decent youth system (even Hamilton nailed that one).... a plan for embedding the most promising at 1st team level and sell them for massive profit. Scout players that will provide value for money. And a coaching and footballing 'stradejee' that sees a defined way of playing that will attract crowds back. It was all cocked up before - McInnes had far too much say in what went out.... Milne far too little (probably a good thing as it happens). DC is no mug. He's building the foundations that will be appropriate for a club our size with the ambitions we all have. The personnel may change out, but without the blueprint for success, we'll never get close.

Yea I liked that traffic light story too which leads Cormack more to justify the planned change to the use of the budget by having less players earning and not contributing. Use of youth players, use of Atlanta 2 players meaning we dont have bench players earning £2k to £3k/week

3 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Not sure if Eric Black and Gordon Strachan are serious shouts but it'll need to be someone who is an IT whizz because now its all about using and understanding the technology and less attending games.

I can do the IT part so I'm part qualified, i'll pollish the CV with my CM3 stats, it's in the bag.

• Haha 2

Agree with some of the comments that we would probably have been better with an established director of football rather than an experienced admin/business type.

However we put the organisation chart in place we want and we kinda had Gunn and Simmie as oddballs for the jobs they had so in the short term this solves a problem, and see how it goes

2 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Agree with some of the comments that we would probably have been better with an established director of football rather than an experienced admin/business type.

However we put the organisation chart in place we want and we kinda had Gunn and Simmie as oddballs for the jobs they had so in the short term this solves a problem, and see how it goes

Agreed, they are saying the right things and making positive changes, we just need to give them the chance.
I'm excited to see where this leads us.

One of the things that Aberdeen have noticeably improved upon over the past few years has been how we have handle not only our recruitment, but how we handle contracts. We now do our business in a more professional manner and get our best young talent on long term deals so they rarely walk for fuck all like they used to... and when we do accept a bid we incorporate things like sell on clauses. It feels like we're more in control of who comes and goes and when.

If Steven "Masters in HR" Gunn has had any hand in this turnaround, then I think he is a solid appointment. He will suit this role, which sounds very HR heavy. Gunn also seems like a very process-oriented kind of guy, which will please Cormack no end.

I noted these words from Cormack with interest:

"You see lots of names attached to Aberdeen and lots of speculation across the board. The players that are raised there are not players we're ignoring. It takes two to tango. Not in every case does every player want to come to Aberdeen, or wants to come for the right reasons."

"If any player is really hesitant about really wanting to be at Aberdeen, if we have to constantly chase them, we don't want them here."

This comment feels like the kind of agreeable generalization that had a specific target in mind. 

Gunn's comment about the pyramid of players amused me.

I'm paraphrasing but it was something like: "There are only a few players that could improve Man City, but there are literally thousands of players that could improve Aberdeen."

?

I guess we'll have no more excuses on the recruitment front then.

2 notable things for me from the video.

1) CRITICALLY - what the fuck is DC wearing? Black blazer with gold buttons, stonewashed bootcut jeans, and black slip-on shoes. HORRIFIC - it’s like he’s had an accident and been given something from the lost property to wear for the rest of the day. 

2) Gunner, highly educated but doesn’t use adverbs and appears like an extra from Burnistoun. Concerning.

• Haha 2
9 hours ago, Tord31 said:

I disagree, I think given that this is our first foray in to this strategy it makes sense to promote within, he'll be cheap and knows the club extremely well.  If we go for someone that doesn't know the club but is experienced in this type of role it could be an expensive failure, at least if this doesn't quite work out we can move him down and take in an experienced person to carry on the strategy that's already laid out by the club.

The whole idea of setting this up now is so that in the future, players and managers change but the ethos stays the same, most clubs that follow the DoF route already have him in place, a coach is secondary, so again, it makes sense as to why Cormack has went with Gunn.  Head of football recruitment is key and I'm very interested to see who they go for, personally I'd prefer someone that's younger and has fresh ideas.

4 hours ago, redcryptoknight said:

I noted these words from Cormack with interest:

"You see lots of names attached to Aberdeen and lots of speculation across the board. The players that are raised there are not players we're ignoring. It takes two to tango. Not in every case does every player want to come to Aberdeen, or wants to come for the right reasons."

"If any player is really hesitant about really wanting to be at Aberdeen, if we have to constantly chase them, we don't want them here."

This comment feels like the kind of agreeable generalization that had a specific target in mind. 

I am reading that hoping Clark Robertson doesn't want to come when in reality it's most probably Ryan Gauld or Martin Boyle.

7 minutes ago, minijc said:

I disagree, I think given that this is our first foray in to this strategy it makes sense to promote within, he'll be cheap and knows the club extremely well.  If we go for someone that doesn't know the club but is experienced in this type of role it could be an expensive failure, at least if this doesn't quite work out we can move him down and take in an experienced person to carry on the strategy that's already laid out by the club.

The whole idea of setting this up now is so that in the future, players and managers change but the ethos stays the same, most clubs that follow the DoF route already have him in place, a coach is secondary, so again, it makes sense as to why Cormack has went with Gunn.  Head of football recruitment is key and I'm very interested to see who they go for, personally I'd prefer someone that's younger and has fresh ideas.

None of that makes sense. You’re advocating hiring Steven because he’ll be a cheap mistake that can be fixed by hiring someone experienced? Why wouldn’t we just take in someone experienced to begin with to “carry out the strategy” as you suggest yourself? If Steven doesn’t work out it will probably mean a failure to secure the right head of recruitment and the failure to improve the squad, so definitely not a cheap mistake. If you think it’s expensive hiring an expert, wait until you hire a novice.

The DOF is 100% the right strategy to protect the club’s direction and vision. I hope it’s not undermined.

I am all for developing youth and signing players from Scottish Lower Leagues etc, to develop and sell at a profit.

Although the success will never, ever be replicated this was the exact strategy employed by McNeil and Ferguson in the 70's and 80's.

There is obviously "cutting cloth" reasoning in promoting Gunn, potential loans from Atlanta etc etc but, given the effects of the Pandemic, I can understand that.

I will not comment on DC's dress sense....

39 minutes ago, 1983 said:

None of that makes sense. You’re advocating hiring Steven because he’ll be a cheap mistake that can be fixed by hiring someone experienced? Why wouldn’t we just take in someone experienced to begin with to “carry out the strategy” as you suggest yourself? If Steven doesn’t work out it will probably mean a failure to secure the right head of recruitment and the failure to improve the squad, so definitely not a cheap mistake. If you think it’s expensive hiring an expert, wait until you hire a novice.

The DOF is 100% the right strategy to protect the club’s direction and vision. I hope it’s not undermined.

I'm not advocating, I'm just thinking out loud,  truth is no one actually knows the thinking that's gone in to this, some have reservations, others like it.  I just imagine that if he was to fail, we would then go down the experienced route, I've brought in cost as I assume your average, experienced DoF is making a huge amount of money.

18 minutes ago, minijc said:

I'm not advocating, I'm just thinking out loud,  truth is no one actually knows the thinking that's gone in to this, some have reservations, others like it.  I just imagine that if he was to fail, we would then go down the experienced route, I've brought in cost as I assume your average, experienced DoF is making a huge amount of money.

Completely agree. He’s been at club for 20 years and has experience in a lot of theses jobs already and knows a lot of clubs and agents in the game. I also know how much he loves the club so he deserves a crack. Great to see us bringing in a new head of recruitment too that will hopefully streamline the whole process. I hope it’s someone that isn’t British so he has knowledge of other areas we don’t. 

7 minutes ago, slippers said:

Completely agree. He’s been at club for 20 years and has experience in a lot of theses jobs already and knows a lot of clubs and agents in the game. I also know how much he loves the club so he deserves a crack. Great to see us bringing in a new head of recruitment too that will hopefully streamline the whole process. I hope it’s someone that isn’t British so he has knowledge of other areas we don’t. 

I don’t mind the nationality, as long as the filters on the lap top go beyond England League One. 

Change in the structure felt overdue and all the best to Steven. Don't know a lot about him but certainly seems well regarded by people at the club and the players. 

I have my reservations that we've now got the structure we should have but perhaps not the right people in the roles but I hope I'm wrong. Can't deny we've done it on the cheap (in the sense that we used the Atlanta connection for Glass and promoted from within for DofF) but it might just work. 

The head of recruitment is now the one we absolutely need to get right and I agree with what Dave said on this. They need to be able to use the 21st century tech available to them, the connection with Atlanta and the overseas market, as well as the Scottish and English leagues. 

I wouldn't actually mind if this was a left field appointment. A football nerd without a playing background. Just someone that will exhaust all avenues to improve the playing squad and get value for money. 

3 minutes ago, Sheeptastic said:

I wouldn't actually mind if this was a left field appointment. A football nerd without a playing background. Just someone that will exhaust all avenues to improve the playing squad and get value for money. 

I think the Head of Recruitment needs to have a football background. 

I'm sure they can employ some kids to  extract data out of the software 

6 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I think the Head of Recruitment needs to have a football background. 

I'm sure they can employ some kids to  extract data out of the software 

It might well need to be. I'm more just making the point that I hope the next appointment is thought through and in line with what the overall vision. Don't want it just to be another guy who attends lower league matches in England.