Steven Gunn- Football Operations Manager.

On 5/21/2021 at 11:35 AM, Tord31 said:

Selling players (and hopefully McKenna, Cosgrove, Wright and Ferguson is the start) should give us the confidence to do many Ferguson, McCrorie and Hernandez deals. 

The same model as Celtic but on a smaller scale. Buying players for small fees and turning a £2M profit on some of them. If we sell at the right time it gives us the confidence to take more risks. McInnes did not get much money to spend, and rightly so, because he had no track record of selling anybody.

Mckenna and Wright both came through youth academy. 

5 hours ago, Dons79 said:

his charlatan is a jack of all trades, master of none. File as worse than russ(if that’s possible) and a waste of time and wage. A fucking glorified accountant kidding on that he is identifying the next batch of good players.

You must have missed the part when they explained that he was an HR professional, not an accountant. You must also have missed the part where they explained that identifying players will not be his job, that will be the job of our head of recruitment.

2 hours ago, redcryptoknight said:

You must have missed the part when they explained that he was an HR professional, not an accountant. You must also have missed the part where they explained that identifying players will not be his job, that will be the job of our head of recruitment.

What’s an HR professional?.does that mean I am a chef professional?. Does that mean an accountant isn’t professional?, It’s his job to hire the head of recruitment is it not?, has he not been part of the club while being completely unsuccessful for years?, aye boy sounds shit hot.

It’ll be really quite incredible if what we needed to become a great successful club was a director of football that already worked at the club, and the reserve manager of Atlanta. Unbelievably convenient in fact. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

What’s an HR professional?

Someone who works in Human Resources. This could include a number of different roles and job titles.

does that mean I am a chef professional?

If you get paid as a chef then yes, but there more typical phrasing would be 'professional chef'  or just 'chef'. 

Does that mean an accountant isn’t professional?

No, people who work in accountancy are also professionals, but that doesn't change the fact that Steven Gunn is not an accountant.

It’s his job to hire the head of recruitment is it not?

Yes, it is very typical for people who work in Human Resources to be put in charge of recruitment. Accountants only involve themselves in recruitment when hiring an accountant. Presumably Steven Gunn, who isn't an account, won't be seeking an accountant to fill the Head of Recruitment role.

has he not been part of the club while being completely unsuccessful for years?, aye boy sounds shit hot.

There are lots people who have worked at Aberdeen for 20 years or longer, who do their job incredibly well. Some roles have more impact than others in determining the on field success of the club. I presume that when Steven Gunn came to the club 20 years ago as a HR Management Graduate his impact was minimal.

Aberdeen does seem to have made some improvements in our handling of contracts and players in recent years however. I don't know exactly to what degree Steven Gunn had to play in that, but his climbing the rungs of the ladder at Aberdeen does correlate with the improvement.

• Upvote 3
8 hours ago, redcryptoknight said:

Someone who works in Human Resources. This could include a number of different roles and job titles.

If you get paid as a chef then yes, but there more typical phrasing would be 'professional chef'  or just 'chef'. 

No, people who work in accountancy are also professionals, but that doesn't change the fact that Steven Gunn is not an accountant.

Yes, it is very typical for people who work in Human Resources to be put in charge of recruitment. Accountants only involve themselves in recruitment when hiring an accountant. Presumably Steven Gunn, who isn't an account, won't be seeking an accountant to fill the Head of Recruitment role.

There are lots people who have worked at Aberdeen for 20 years or longer, who do their job incredibly well. Some roles have more impact than others in determining the on field success of the club. I presume that when Steven Gunn came to the club 20 years ago as a HR Management Graduate his impact was minimal.

Aberdeen does seem to have made some improvements in our handling of contracts and players in recent years however. I don't know exactly to what degree Steven Gunn had to play in that, but his climbing the rungs of the ladder at Aberdeen does correlate with the improvement.

Nope fair enough bud, to be honest just don’t like his smarmy wee face in the interview, looks like a mammys boy. Not a great barometer on how he does his job.?

23 hours ago, redcryptoknight said:

How you doing Steven? Who's the head of recruitment going to be?

1 hour ago, sooth_stander said:

That’s the head of recruitment job advertised, closing date June 9th

Bang goes the theory that someone was already lined up for this post. 

I don't usually criticise the board and those at the top of our club but I have to say I have serious concerns about what is going on right now at board and management level and some of the decisions that have been getting made recently and this just adds to my worries. All this talk about Strategies but as far as I can see they are just making it up as they go along.

I find it absolutely ridiculous and utterly shambolic that here we are already a couple of weeks into the summer break in the most crucial summer of recruitment for the club in a very long time with huge changes required and massive turnaround in staff going to be happening that we have only now thought about the need to bring in a head of recruitment. If a strategy was in place when we got rid of DM and TD and RR was put on gardening leave and we put in place a new manager in place surely recruitment should have been discussed away back then and a plan put in place.

When appointing a manger and his staff surely questions were asked in the interview stage to them about what contacts they had that would be able to benefit the club and they would have held discussions between the prospective candidates and the board with regards to how recruitment would be handled and by whom and what input the manger and his staff would have on this.

So why are we only now, nearly in June, advertising this post. It has a closing date of 9th June and one would expect anyone decent will already be in employment and have to work notice so basically we will be started the season by the time this role is filled which is just negligent management. This role should have been filled and the person in place before the end of the season.

We are now left with no scouting and no recruitment team. Dm and his contacts looked after scouting in Scotland, RR was the chief scout in England, and European and American scouting was non existent other than when Dave C got a chance to look at wyscout on a sunday night with his American buddies. As bad as some of our recruitment in recent seasons have been it may well get a lot worse.

We now have no scouts, no contacts and are just relying on Glass and Russell watching videos of people and Dave C throwing random names at them whenever he see's someone have a decent game Lets hope he picks some good ones but have to say its a completely farcical situation to have landed ourselves in.

Oh and we will tell the fans we have got a great strategy, we are going to play attacking entertaining football, a team full of winners, bringing through heaps of young players, buying players for pennies and selling for millions, the sun is going to shine every day and everyone is going to win the lottery. if we all say the same thing and say it loud and firmly,  everyone will believe it and we will all be happy!

• Dildo 1
2 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

I don't usually criticise the board and those at the top of our club but I have to say I have serious concerns about what is going on right now at board and management level and some of the decisions that have been getting made recently and this just adds to my worries. All this talk about Strategies but as far as I can see they are just making it up as they go along.

I find it absolutely ridiculous and utterly shambolic that here we are already a couple of weeks into the summer break in the most crucial summer of recruitment for the club in a very long time with huge changes required and massive turnaround in staff going to be happening that we have only now thought about the need to bring in a head of recruitment. If a strategy was in place when we got rid of DM and TD and RR was put on gardening leave and we put in place a new manager in place surely recruitment should have been discussed away back then and a plan put in place.

When appointing a manger and his staff surely questions were asked in the interview stage to them about what contacts they had that would be able to benefit the club and they would have held discussions between the prospective candidates and the board with regards to how recruitment would be handled and by whom and what input the manger and his staff would have on this.

So why are we only now, nearly in June, advertising this post. It has a closing date of 9th June and one would expect anyone decent will already be in employment and have to work notice so basically we will be started the season by the time this role is filled which is just negligent management. This role should have been filled and the person in place before the end of the season.

We are now left with no scouting and no recruitment. Dm and his contacts looked after scouting in Scotland, RR was the chief scout in England, and European and American scouting was non existent other than when Dave C got a chance to look at wyscout on a sunday night with his American buddies. As bad as some of our recruitment in recent seasons have been it may well get a lot worse.

We now have no scouts, no contacts and are just relying on Glass and Russell watching videos of people and Dave C throwing random names at them whenever he see's someone have a decent game. Lets hope he picks some good ones but have to say its a completely farcical situation to have landed ourselves in.

Support means Support min.

Rome wasn’t built in a day. Would you rather we kept the old guard in?

First stage, get the new management team in., then assess the players in the squad / decided what you need. 
Then on to identifying some key positions to be filled (we’ve recruited a spine of sorts (Gallagher, Brown, JET)

Then look at the longer term plan, scouts etc.

Give it time min and support your team ;)

24 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

We are now left with no scouting and no recruitment team. Dm and his contacts looked after scouting in Scotland, RR was the chief scout in England, and European and American scouting was non existent other than when Dave C got a chance to look at wyscout on a sunday night with his American buddies. As bad as some of our recruitment in recent seasons have been it may well get a lot worse.

We now have no scouts, no contacts and are just relying on Glass and Russell watching videos of people and Dave C throwing random names at them whenever he see's someone have a decent game Lets hope he picks some good ones but have to say its a completely farcical situation to have landed ourselves in.

Oh and we will tell the fans we have got a great strategy, we are going to play attacking entertaining football, a team full of winners, bringing through heaps of young players, buying players for pennies and selling for millions, the sun is going to shine every day and everyone is going to win the lottery. if we all say the same thing and say it loud and firmly,  everyone will believe it and we will all be happy!

Go and buy a ride.

43 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

Come on min. 

We have a strategy which requires us to follow a process to achieve our philosophy. And no one will be confused if we get it wrong. 

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Support means Support min.

Rome wasn’t built in a day. Would you rather we kept the old guard in?

First stage, get the new management team in., then assess the players in the squad / decided what you need. 
Then on to identifying some key positions to be filled (we’ve recruited a spine of sorts (Gallagher, Brown, JET)

Then look at the longer term plan, scouts etc.

Give it time min and support your team ;)

Well whilst I felt change was needed , I'm not going to lie the decisions that have been made since then have me really questioning where we might now end up.

It wasn't hard for anyone to identify some of the key positions that need filled when you have no strikers left at the club when the season finished. The recruitment of first team players which is absolutely vital right now and the money that it is going to cost us and the contracts that will be put in place mean it was essential to have had a head of recruitment in place for the end of the season to help fill all the vacant roles in the team.

I'm fine with longer term policies and plans for scouting in the future being implemented in the longer term but we should have had someone in the actual head of recruitment role right now and have that person here assisting the manager and his staff with identification and recruitment of targets during this summer window. Glass said he aims to have the recruitment done for when pre-season training starts and so by the time this role has been filled the budget will probably be already gone and unless we only sign players on short term deals we will not have the opportunity to make as many changes again for some time after this summer has passed so its more vital than ever that we really give ourselves the best chance of getting recruitment correct this summer and I don't feel we have done that.

I will always give the team time and support but to give them the best chance of doing well those that are above them and running the club have to get the decisions they make correct. And they need to have real plans and "strategies" in place to enable us to be successful. I hope you are right and everything just falls into place and my concerns are unfounded. I will happily come back and say I was wrong.

4 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

Well whilst I felt change was needed , I'm not going to lie the decisions that have been made since then have me really questioning where we might now end up.

It wasn't hard for anyone to identify some of the key positions that need filled when you have no strikers left at the club when the season finished. The recruitment of first team players which is absolutely vital right now and the money that it is going to cost us and the contracts that will be put in place mean it was essential to have had a head of recruitment in place for the end of the season to help fill all the vacant roles in the team.

I'm fine with longer term policies and plans for scouting in the future being implemented in the longer term but we should have had someone in the actual head of recruitment role right now and have that person here assisting the manager and his staff with identification and recruitment of targets during this summer window. Glass said he aims to have the recruitment done for when pre-season training starts and so by the time this role has been filled the budget will probably be already gone and unless we only sign players on short term deals we will not have the opportunity to make as many changes again for some time after this summer has passed so its more vital than ever that we really give ourselves the best chance of getting recruitment correct this summer and I don't feel we have done that.

I will always give the team time and support but to give them the best chance of doing well those that are above them and running the club have to get the decisions they make correct. And they need to have real plans and "strategies" in place to enable us to be successful. I hope you are right and everything just falls into place and my concerns are unfounded. I will happily come back and say I was wrong.

You’re getting your knickers in a flap.

Budgets would have been discussed, players would have been identified, the plan will be ongoing. There’s been plenty of hints that recruitment is advancing.

Putting a new team in place would not have provided short term answers.

give it a chance

1 hour ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

I refuse to read all that. 

31 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

Not reading all that either. 

6 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

You’re getting your knickers in a flap.

Budgets would have been discussed, players would have been identified, the plan will be ongoing. There’s been plenty of hints that recruitment is advancing.

Putting a new team in place would not have provided short term answers.

give it a chance

I think you are misunderstanding my concerns, im not saying that we are not trying to sign people and I'm not saying that its not advancing or that budgets have not been discussed. I just want us to get it right more often than we have done and to do that I think having someone in place would have really helped.

I just think that we have an inexperienced management team who have never been involved on the recruitment side previously, not used to dealing with agents, don't have knowledge of players wage brackets and budget planning so they would have benefitted greatly from having an experienced head of recruitment beside them to assist with making sure the budget is spent wisely and most effectively. We have recruited poorly in recent seasons and I don't want the same happening.

I think if you asked Stephen Glass would he have liked to have someone in the role and to be helping him right now he would definitely say yes..

10 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

I think you are misunderstanding my concerns, im not saying that we are not trying to sign people and I'm not saying that its not advancing or that budgets have not been discussed. I just want us to get it right more often than we have done and to do that I think having someone in place would have really helped.

I just think that we have an inexperienced management team who have never been involved on the recruitment side previously, not used to dealing with agents, don't have knowledge of players wage brackets and budget planning so they would have benefitted greatly from having an experienced head of recruitment beside them to assist with making sure the budget is spent wisely and most effectively. We have recruited poorly in recent seasons and I don't want the same happening.

I think if you asked Stephen Glass would he have liked to have someone in the role and to be helping him right now he would definitely say yes..

Again, I doubt this is relevant. Russ Richardsone wouldn’t have been sitting down discussing the contracts with potential players in the past.

This window was likely already pre-determined with a lot of variance in the budget depending if we are allowed to get back in / how many season tickets we sell.

The new recruitment team going forward will build from where we are for the following windows designed to fit Glass’s / Russell’s needs.

We’ve got the bones of a starting 11 that should be able to compete for Europe already. We’re just waiting for the excitement to build with a signing or two that can hopefully lift us to the next stage.

1 minute ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

You do realise Dereks 1 decent signing in 4 policy (I’m using whoever posted 26% as my source) wasn’t actually deliberate - he wasn’t setting out to sign 4 randoms in the false belief one might be decent.

He was allowed to sign too many players. He averaged ten a season which is just far too much to get any sort of stability.  

23 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

The Head of Recruitment advertised today.

Deadline for applications 9 June.

That means he won’t be in place until after the summer recruitment has been done. 

This should’ve been done the same time Glass was appointed 4-5 weeks ago. 

Look on the bright side we have 1 more season is Russ Richardson calibre signings! 

In all seriousness we have such a big turnover in players and we are not prepared to recruit. Hope we are not fully reliant on Russ’s black book. 

16 hours ago, afc1903mad said:

Again, I doubt this is relevant. Russ Richardsone wouldn’t have been sitting down discussing the contracts with potential players in the past.

This window was likely already pre-determined with a lot of variance in the budget depending if we are allowed to get back in / how many season tickets we sell.

The new recruitment team going forward will build from where we are for the following windows designed to fit Glass’s / Russell’s needs.

We’ve got the bones of a starting 11 that should be able to compete for Europe already. We’re just waiting for the excitement to build with a signing or two that can hopefully lift us to the next stage.

RR was absolutely fully involved with DM in the contract offer discussions with players agents so extremely relevant and that's what I'm saying they should have had the role filled by now so the person could be assisting Glass and Russell right now.

And I would also disagree that we have the bones of a starting 11 that should be able to compete for Europe already.

• Dildo 1

RR was absolutely fully involved with DM in the contract offer discussions with players agents

I remain unconvinced

And I would also disagree that we have the bones of a starting 11 that should be able to compete for Europe already.

We are in QR2. I've listed elsewhere who we could be playing. For that game, we have: -

Lewis, Ramsay, Gallagher, Considine, McKenzie, Ferguson, McCrorie, McGouch,, McGinn, Hayes, Campbell, Brown, Hedges, JET, McLennan, Kennedy plus the youths that I reckon we will easily compete in that QR2 round.

QR3 we will be unseeded and could draw some tough teams. I'm not convinced we would attract anyone that is going to transform the squad to turn over a Basel, but maybe if we get a fortunate draw i.e. Dundalk or Pacod De Ferrera, we could still go through.

Winning the PO round where we could face a Roma, Tottenham or even Vallencia is going to be highly unlikely.

So yes, for that first game in Europe in 8 weeks time, I think we already have the bones to complete

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • 2 months later...