Cormack Q&A

9 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Did you get your parents to help you write your letter of support to McInnes last week? 

Do you realise that it's not just Aberdeen who are affected by this pandemic? And yet, other teams are thriving, look at Livingston and St Mirren, both playing well above and beyond their abilities and getting results (albeit Livingston look to have stalled of late). 

We wouldn't have been left scrambling for a striker in January if McInnes hadn't signed Main in the first place and got someone actually capable instead. 

Covid isn';t to blame for the abysmal football on display. Covid isn't to blame for the lack of goals this season. Covid isn't to blame for us lying down to Rangers and Celtic everytime we come up against them. 

"Doing their best" what a crock of shit. If this is the best we can get out of the players we have then there is something seriously wrong. 

Amen, been systematic failures in the footballing side for some time now. Played crap and recruited absolute dross for a few years now

Only thing COVID is to blame for is another excuse for McInnes to whip up about why we play shite; instead of looking in a mirror

I think we all appreciate Cormack inherited the main problem in Derek McInnes, although he had the opportunity to address the situation in January 2020 and what does he do instead?

Almost spends a club record fee on Ronnie Hernandez.

It's at that point I lost all faith in Cormack, his failure to address the problem there and then was inexcusable and to almost ignore the whole Hernandez debacle shows a complete disrespect to fans. Those fans he was guilt tripping into digging deep to support the club in the summer of 2020.

Man's a grade A walloper.

3 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

The main culprit in this ever evolving mess is Milne for handling out that new contract to Del , when even at the time fans were decrying the style of football and terrible recruitment of talent! 

Was chatting to someone at work about this exactly, only an hour or so ago. 

Any time you tell any employee, that they've got more or less a job for life, which appeared to be what Milne was communicating to DM, it's only natural their hunger for the job will diminish. They have nothing left to prove. 

The lack of pressure for actual, tangible success at AFC, is largely what drives this situation. McInnes came in, steadied a sinking ship, did well with what he had, won the league cup, and that was him. Job for life. 

In hindsight, it was always going to end this way. He's had too much smoke blown up his arse, he's grossly overpaid for what he's able to do, and he works in an environment where the pressure/expectations are something he appears to be able to dictate. 

I don't even blame him for not wanting to walk away, who would walk away from such a cushty number?

50 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Did you get your parents to help you write your letter of support to McInnes last week? 

Do you realise that it's not just Aberdeen who are affected by this pandemic? And yet, other teams are thriving, look at Livingston and St Mirren, both playing well above and beyond their abilities and getting results (albeit Livingston look to have stalled of late). 

We wouldn't have been left scrambling for a striker in January if McInnes hadn't signed Main in the first place and got someone actually capable instead. 

Covid isn';t to blame for the abysmal football on display. Covid isn't to blame for the lack of goals this season. Covid isn't to blame for us lying down to Rangers and Celtic everytime we come up against them. 

"Doing their best" what a crock of shit. If this is the best we can get out of the players we have then there is something seriously wrong. 

Are St Mirren or Livi sitting in 4th place? No.

We sold Cosgrove for £2m. Do we have £2m to spend on a replacement? No. Why? COVID.

no fans cheering or jeering your team on spending money, why? COVID.

We sold McKenna for ~£3m. Do we have £3m to spend on a replacement? No. Why? COVID.

P.S. My parents died of COVID.

• Dildo 8

I had (still retain, just) high hopes for Cormack.

Taking over from that masonic, hun ramming tit, Milne, the bar hadn’t been set very far.

Initial signs were positive.

However, the last week or so, where he’s backed an out of ideas McInnes, reneged on the Q&A when there was no need, and inferred the fans not happy with McInnes are a social media rabble, then he’s now back in the “jury’s out” category.

Failure to get rid of McInnes by Monday after the last game of the season (at the latest) will mean he’s every bit as bad as that yokel prick, Milne.

Over to you, Dave.... 

I think we can confidently say that season ticket sales & DNA renewals will plummet if he keeps McInnes in place. 

7 minutes ago, El Pacino said:

We sold Cosgrove for £2m. Do we have £2m to spend on a replacement? No. Why? COVID.

We sold McKenna for ~£3m. Do we have £3m to spend on a replacement? No. Why? COVID.

I'm genuinely  sorry to hear about your parents, I hope you're able to cope, and are dealing with it as well as you can. I have no idea what that's like.  

I do see what you're saying about AFC and Covid etc, but the original poster wasn't comparing us to St Mirren/Livi directly,  more making the point that in spite of the pandemic these clubs are achieving their targets/punching above their weight. Aberdeen aren't a special case, the reason we're underperforming is because we have a manager who's long past his sell by date at our club, and players who are bereft of confidence, largely, in my opinion, because of tactics that stifle creativity. 

It's really easy to just say "COVID" as an answer to why there are problems at the moment, but in reality that's too simplistic an answer. I'm sure it's a part of why things have gone awry, but the problems we're seeing now with the team are the same problems there were a year ago, and some were able to see these problems even longer ago than that. 

Welcome to the hat, though. Try not to enjoy yourself too much ? 

2 hours ago, daytripping said:

That was EL, no way you'll get those numbers for a losers cup.

Exactly.  Unless it was a big name. 

This competition reminds me of the old inter toto competition where no one took it seriously. Crowds were crap, teams played reserves etc as there was no real money to be made from it unless you got very deep into the knockout stages. 

Certainly not the holy grail some people seem to think it is.  I think it will struggle to get traction. 

2 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I'm genuinely  sorry to hear about your parents, I hope you're able to cope, and are dealing with it as well as you can. I have no idea what that's like.  

I do see what you're saying about AFC and Covid etc, but the original poster wasn't comparing us to St Mirren/Livi directly,  more making the point that in spite of the pandemic these clubs are achieving their targets/punching above their weight. Aberdeen aren't a special case, the reason we're underperforming is because we have a manager who's long past his sell by date at our club, and players who are bereft of confidence, largely, in my opinion, because of tactics that stifle creativity. 

It's really easy to just say "COVID" as an answer to why there are problems at the moment, but in reality that's too simplistic an answer. I'm sure it's a part of why things have gone awry, but the problems we're seeing now with the team are the same problems there were a year ago, and some were able to see these problems even longer ago than that. 

Welcome to the hat, though. Try not to enjoy yourself too much ? 

I agree with everything you said. The added pressure of COVID should not be underestimated.

5 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

This competition reminds me of the old inter toto competition where no one took it seriously. Crowds were crap, teams played reserves etc as there was no real money to be made from it unless you got very deep into the knockout stages. 

Certainly not the holy grail some people seem to think it is.  I think it will struggle to get traction. 

Christ! Give it a chance!! ?

20 minutes ago, El Pacino said:

Point 1 - Sitting 4th isn't something to be happy. The issue is current form in the last 10 games or so. We are sitting 9th form wise, only teams worse than us are Ross County, a side that thumped us recently, Hamilton and Kilmarnock.  We haven't scored in 5 games. How can you be even remotely happy about anything that is happening inside of Pittodrie?

1st of January we were 2 clear of Hibs with 2 games in hand. We were 13 ahead of Dundee United in 5th. Now we are 4  behind Hibs and 6 Infront of 5th. We are slipping further and further down.

Points 2&4 - I don't get your point. We made £5 in sales, far more than pretty much every other side and yet other side's have strengthened their squads. We have a bigger budget, but that should mean we are a better equipped side. See point 1

Point 3 - Not sure what your point is here either.

Point 5 - sorry to hear that. 

1 minute ago, El Pacino said:

I agree with everything you said. The added pressure of COVID should not be underestimated.

I agree, but it also shouldn't be used as a catch all excuse, like how the club are trying to use it. 

2 minutes ago, El Pacino said:

Christ! Give it a chance!! ?

It's a third tier European competition with what sounds like a poor prize pot. 

What does the winner get? A place in the following years Europa League groups?

For most teams it will be more hassle than it's worth.  You'll need a bigger squad at greater cost to manage the 2 games a week with very little incentive to carry that extra wage cost. 

It's a dilution too far imo.  They would have been better bringing back the cup winners cup. At least that had its own identity. 

9 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I think there are going to be some big names, and there is definitely a hunger for teams like ours to have European nights. 

All it takes is one big name in a group to get people excited, imagine an AC Milan or something rocking up at Pittodrie. 

1 minute ago, torry_battery_ram said:

Neither with have started the season expecting to be 4th so that is a ridiculous comment. Both are doing better than you would expect in this covid times. We aren't 

Both would have been miles ahead of us if our current form was at the beginning of the season. It just shows how far we've fallen. A few months ago we were ahead of Hibs with 2 games in hand and 13 clear of 5th. Now we are 4 behind Hibs and 6, would have been a lot less had Livingston not slipped up in recent weeks, behind 5th. 

Just now, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I think there are going to be some big names, and there is definitely a hunger for teams like ours to have European nights. 

All it takes is one big name in a group to get people excited, imagine an AC Milan or something rocking up at Pittodrie. 

Yeah and they will send over their youth team because they won't have any interest in it. 

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

It's a third tier European competition with what sounds like a poor prize pot. 

What does the winner get? A place in the following years Europa League groups?

For most teams it will be more hassle than it's worth.  You'll need a bigger squad at greater cost to manage the 2 games a week with very little incentive to carry that extra wage cost. 

It's a dilution too far imo.  They would have been better bringing back the cup winners cup. At least that had its own identity. 

Serious Q, with the Cup Winners Cup, say a team did the domestic double by winning both the league and the Scottish cup, would their ECWC place go to the runner up in the final, or would it go to the next best placed side in the league? 

Serious Q, with the Cup Winners Cup, say a team did the domestic double by winning both the league and the Scottish cup, would their ECWC place go to the runner up in the final, or would it go to the next best placed side in the league? 

It used to be the runner up Consi back in the day. 

Whether they'd do that now or give it to a league placing I've no idea 

Third tier Europe is probably where we are and people will need to realise it.  We couldn't get past the 3rd qualifiers of Europe in the whole of McInnes time here, so nobody can say we deserve to be in that rather than the Conference version!  The sides we have faced in Europa qualifying were far better than us, and the sides we could have faced in the play off would have been even better. 

Just now, StandFree1982 said:

Third tier Europe is probably where we are and people will need to realise it.  We couldn't get past the 3rd qualifiers of Europe in the whole of McInnes time here, so nobody can say we deserve to be in that rather than the Conference version!  The sides we have faced in Europa qualifying were far better than us, and the sides we could have faced in the play off would have been even better. 

I understand where we are in the pecking order. 

My point is that no one will be interested in this competition unless the prize money goes up considerably. 

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Yeah and they will send over their youth team because they won't have any interest in it. 

All the better, gives us a better chance of going through. 

The Dons to win another European trophy, it would be magic. 

It used to be the runner up Consi back in the day. 

Whether they'd do that now or give it to a league placing I've no idea 

A league placing would surely be fairer, considering they've been consistent over a season, and not just had a good cup run. 

I would like the ECWC to come back as well, in place of the Europa League. 

I understand where we are in the pecking order. 

My point is that no one will be interested in this competition unless the prize money goes up considerably. 

Ach, I dunno. European Football isn't all about the money. I'd rather see us play some play European Football on a Tuesday evening under the floodlights than watch us playing Queen of The South in the League Cup groups.  

European  Football is ace, regardless of the opposition. We'll probably make more money from getting through more stage of the Conference tier than struggling to get past 3rd stage of Europa though.  It will be much more exciting knowing we have a chance of getting somewhere, rather than coming up against an English Premiership side, or Real Sociedad or some shitey side with a billionaire backer. 

Just now, StandFree1982 said:

Ach, I dunno. European Football isn't all about the money. I'd rather see us play some play European Football on a Tuesday evening under the floodlights than watch us playing Queen of The South in the League Cup groups.  

European  Football is ace, regardless of the opposition. We'll probably make more money from getting through more stage of the Conference tier than struggling to get past 3rd stage of Europa. 

I'm with you re the European nights aye. 

I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy the games. 

Just trying to temper the thoughts of some that this is some kind of financial holy grail 

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

It's a lower division trophy though Consi. A bit like the Huns winning the Petrofac Cup. 

I'd be surprised if it lasts more than 2 seasons 

Come on, that's a stretch. 

Still some cracking names/away days in there, if we're allowed to go. 

Thursday night fitba, magic. Can't see any downside for a club like us, our fan base definitely has an appetite for European football.