Aberdeen sack Derek McInnes

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

Nah. He should've left after we finished below Kilmarnock. It was clear as day that we were regressing and that he didn't seem able to halt the regression. 

Pedro Caixinha called it bang on the money about him reaching the end of his cycle and was scoffed at. Also addressed fans from a bush and said some wacky quote about a caravan but he was right about McInnes.

Appointed probably 6 months too late and stayed a season too long but McInnes was a decent Manager for us. Took us back to the minimum standards we should be performing at (cup bridesmaids and pre season Euro adventures) but we needed to improve on that. We didn't.

4 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Desperately shifting the goal posts to make it look like he did a shite job. I just dont get it. Aberdeen have been crap for 30 years and were pretty much crap before Fergie came in too, why do we have to look back on one of the only periods where we have been decent and try to make it look shite.

Folk need to look forward and stop talking about the guy every day but it's just so odd the sheer hatred so many seem to have for a guy who took a terrible Aberdeen side who were stuck in 9th every season and made them competitive. Even at our absolutely most horrendous worst, which was bad, we finished 4th. I'll be stunned if we are close to that in the first season he's away.

What is it that makes everyone so bitter?

We almost won the league under McNeil

Surely, we've done the McInnes arguement to death?

Decent manager for us, gave us back our credibility, huge consistency, Cup semis and finals, but it was time to go. Full stop. I think 80% of AFC fans would agree with that, and move on.

If he gets the Hibs job, he'd stabilise them, get them to 4th this season in all probability. But in regards to moving the club forward after the Ross reign, I don't think he does that but lets see how it pans out

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, minijc said:

Not shifting the goalposts, he never qualified for Europe, he got us in to the qualifiers for it, that's it!  shat the bed numerous times, not to mention the fact he was off to Sunderland and Rangers x 2 whilst still contracted to us.

Do the qualifiers not count as Europe 

I must be one of the few who look back on mccinnes time here with fond memories. Think for some people on here have some weird hatred for him because of the rangers link that he turned down 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

2 years earlier. So you think he should have left the season after finishing 2nd ahead of Rangers and a strong Hearts and Hibs? Realistically why would he do that? He believed in himself and the club, he's hardly going to walk away from it. 

It's really just all about the fact he spoke to Rangers isn't it? It's a shame that happened because even though he turned them down and wanted to stay with us, during the long long process I think a lot of people turned on him and never really came back onside. 

It was time to go but I'll never understand the bitterness. A lot of good wins, good games and boozy away days under McInnes. I can't be arsed attending any games at the moment... but was the same at the end of his reign ana!

It was the final contract extension that Milne offered and he accepted that made me turn against him. It was obvious for at least a season prior to that happening that we were on a downward slide and that fresh ideas were required.

Now of course Milne is more culpable than Mcinnes for this. All McInnes did was to accept the offer......it should never have been made in the first place. But he must have known by that point that things were going downhill and his appetite for the job waning. Had he said "thanks but no thanks", and seen out the rest of the contract he had left to run I'm sure we would all have thanked him for his sterling service and been left with good memories of his time with us, notwithstanding his extremely public (if brief) dalliance with the sevconians.

It's sad he's going to remembered for his horrific last few months with us but he has no one to blame but himself for that.

3 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

It was the final contract extension that Milne offered and he accepted that made me turn against him. It was obvious for at least a season prior to that happening that we were on a downward slide and that fresh ideas were required.

Now of course Milne is more culpable than Mcinnes for this. All McInnes did was to accept the offer......it should never have been made in the first place. But he must have known by that point that things were going downhill and his appetite for the job waning. Had he said "thanks but no thanks", and seen out the rest of the contract he had left to run I'm sure we would all have thanked him for his sterling service and been left with good memories of his time with us, notwithstanding his extremely public (if brief) dalliance with the sevconians.

It's sad he's going to remembered for his horrific last few Years with us but he has no one to blame but himself for that.

Fixed it ?

1 hour ago, NEM said:

I just meant historically. We aren’t very good and don’t win trophies in our 118 years

15 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

It's sad he's going to remembered for his horrific last few months with us but he has no one to blame but himself for that.

????

That’s why you don’t like McInnes??

here’s a 3 year contract extension on 10 grand a week at a club you have done very well at, are very settled at and are currently very popular at

”thanks but no thanks”

Aye ok

1 hour ago, sooth_stander said:

Surely, we've done the McInnes arguement to death?

Decent manager for us, gave us back our credibility, huge consistency, Cup semis and finals, but it was time to go. Full stop. I think 80% of AFC fans would agree with that, and move on.

If he gets the Hibs job, he'd stabilise them, get them to 4th this season in all probability. But in regards to moving the club forward after the Ross reign, I don't think he does that but lets see how it pans out

I think everyone does agree with that. Its just the bitterness and anger that I really dont understand

14 hours ago, afc1903mad said:

I’m not exactly a betting man, but I’d be prepared to put a lot of money on he wouldn’t finish 2nd at Hibs.

Indeed, I’d wager he’ll never hit those heights ever again in Scotland

Of course he wont. The huns were blowing us out the water with wages while they were in the lower leagues, but once they were in the top flight and into Europe a couple seasons they started spending about 8 million Ryan Kent for example. We weren't going to keep up. 

Thats just modern football I'm afraid and it's fucking shite. Rangers & Celtic 1st and 2nd every year. Spanish league already pretty much wrapped up. PSG about 10 points+ clear. Bayern away to win a 10th league in a row. Top 3 in England streets ahead battering teams. Juve won 9 in a row recently. 

Frustrating thing is all we have to do is beat the teams around us to keep up with the top 2 until at least spring anyway... but we rarely seem capable 

I don't have any bitterness towards the guy. In the league we were ultra consistent, almost always beat the wee teams particularly at home. In cup terms, his reign I think would be far better perceived had he added a Scottish Cup to his tally of one League Cup. In the end it was like watching the same box set of great movies repeatedly for eight years. Very enjoyable initially but when you can quote the script almost word for word it's time to get a new box set.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Jigsaw666 said:

I don't have any bitterness towards the guy. In the league we were ultra consistent, almost always beat the wee teams particularly at home. In cup terms, his reign I think would be far better perceived had he added a Scottish Cup to his tally of one League Cup. In the end it was like watching the same box set of great movies repeatedly for eight years. Very enjoyable initially but when you can quote the script almost word for word it's time to get a new box set.

Haha thats a fantastic way of putting it

2 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I just meant historically. We aren’t very good and don’t win trophies in our 118 years

????

That’s why you don’t like McInnes??

here’s a 3 year contract extension on 10 grand a week at a club you have done very well at, are very settled at and are currently very popular at

”thanks but no thanks”

Aye ok

If Milne had offered him 10 grand a week he wouldn't have said "thanks but no thanks"

He'd have taken the contract, rolled it up into a tube and inserted it right up Milne's hoop

Clueless....

10 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

2 years earlier. So you think he should have left the season after finishing 2nd ahead of Rangers and a strong Hearts and Hibs? Realistically why would he do that? He believed in himself and the club, he's hardly going to walk away from it. 

It's really just all about the fact he spoke to Rangers isn't it? It's a shame that happened because even though he turned them down and wanted to stay with us, during the long long process I think a lot of people turned on him and never really came back onside. 

It was time to go but I'll never understand the bitterness. A lot of good wins, good games and boozy away days under McInnes. I can't be arsed attending any games at the moment... but was the same at the end of his reign ana!

I think the thing that grates  is speaking to the Huns so soon after the fanfare when he turned down Sunderland. 

There was a genuine buzz when he turned down Sunderland that was spoiled just 6 months later 

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I think the thing that grates  is speaking to the Huns so soon after the fanfare when he turned down Sunderland. 

There was a genuine buzz when he turned down Sunderland that was spoiled just 6 months later 

I don't see what the beef is about speaking to them. If you were at BP and Shell wanted to poach you for more money why would your BP colleagues be raging that you spoke with Shell but remained with them. 

12 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

I don't see what the beef is about speaking to them. If you were at BP and Shell wanted to poach you for more money why would your BP colleagues be raging that you spoke with Shell but remained with them. 

I don't think he was offered more money at the Huns. 

And 

After speaking to Sunderland he declared that he loved the club and wanted to stay.  Only to speak to another potential employer 6 months later.  It was just too soon for my liking. 

McInnes didn’t adapt to necessary changes that was required to make Aberdeen stronger. He was just happy resting on his laurels of winning a cup via a penalty shootout against Inverness Caley Thistle. It was obvious to everyone except him when Cormack took over and demanded an attacking aggressive style of football that McInnes couldn’t possibly adapt. He will make teams harder to beat but ultimately he will make them very boring. A boring manager who plays boring football. That’s why he isn’t getting a new appointment nowadays.

Lay off McInnes he was a good manager overall for us. We have seen a lot worse over the years. Yes we needed to move on and remains to be seen if we made a good choice with regards to his replacement who hasn't made a great start but still early days. He did show a passion for our club whilst in charge so lets be fair and decent cause thats why we are Dons fans and not Celtic or Rangers muppets. Sorry if you don't like this post but its my genuine thoughts on the matter. COYR!

10 minutes ago, ClayholeRed said:

Lay off McInnes he was a good manager overall for us. We have seen a lot worse over the years. Yes we needed to move on and remains to be seen if we made a good choice with regards to his replacement who hasn't made a great start but still early days. He did show a passion for our club whilst in charge so lets be fair and decent cause thats why we are Dons fans and not Celtic or Rangers muppets. Sorry if you don't like this post but its my genuine thoughts on the matter. COYR!

McInnes gave up as Aberdeen FC manager, that is unforgivable in my books. He definitely suffered from a deep depression…he let himself go, he let his standards go and he let his team’s belief go. A good doze of counselling over the winter period should see him feeling refreshed and reinvigorated by the spring. He will then be ready to get back into the managerial hot seat. I stress, it’s important he does this as he will falter again if he doesn’t accept the need for help. 

7 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

McInnes gave up as Aberdeen FC manager, that is unforgivable in my books. He definitely suffered from a deep depression…he let himself go, he let his standards go and he let his team’s belief go. A good doze of counselling over the winter period should see him feeling refreshed and reinvigorated by the spring. He will then be ready to get back into the managerial hot seat. I stress, it’s important he does this as he will falter again if he doesn’t accept the need for help. 

You need a lot more help than McInnes - biggest clown I ever witnessed on a football forum. Can only hope you trying to be funny - sadly I have news for you on that front as well.....your patter is horrific but hey if it makes you feel like you have a purpose in life fair play.  

9 hours ago, NEM said:

The previous 10 seasons prior to the 1980 league winning season, AFC finished runners up 3 times, 3rd once, and 4th 4 times.

Season 71/72, top of the league from December through till the last week, drew with Celtic in the 2nd last game and lost against Falkirk.

We had a few wobbles but we definitely weren't shite prior to Fergie. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, RED_JOHN said:

McInnes didn’t adapt to necessary changes that was required to make Aberdeen stronger. He was just happy resting on his laurels of winning a cup via a penalty shootout against Inverness Caley Thistle. It was obvious to everyone except him when Cormack took over and demanded an attacking aggressive style of football that McInnes couldn’t possibly adapt. He will make teams harder to beat but ultimately he will make them very boring. A boring manager who plays boring football. That’s why he isn’t getting a new appointment nowadays.

What a lot of crap. We played a lot of attacking football after the cup win under mccinnes. 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

He turned them down!!

The inferiority complex too many on here have with regards to that lot is pathetic 

Just because he talked to them, so what?

He rejected them