Aberdeen sack Derek McInnes

23 hours ago, huncunts said:

Effectively says style of play criticisms were a load of shite and most of his teams were good, that we didn’t play long ball with McLean, Christie, Hayes, McGinn, Jack etc. Sort of inferred Cormack, Glass and managers throughout the country are naive and the club shouldn’t have come out with the we’re going to play this way stuff. You can’t keep playing a certain way and doing nothing about it if you’re getting scudded every week. 

Says he developed players because look at where the ones we lost have gone on to.

Says we were unfortunate to be good when Celtic had Rodgers, stopped us winning another trophy.

Points out we had 38 points at halfway last season when Hearts had 33 this season, and they are lauded, but he was being slaughtered by our fans while in 3rd, it wasn’t enough anymore. Points out the players we lost through transfers or injury. He identified signings but wasn’t backed, is sure we’d have been 3rd had he got them.

Says we were bringing in millions through our consistency and basically look at us now.

Signed Flood after watching him run the game against us the game before he became manager, while Doc was down watching Robson. 

Had various job offers immediately after leaving us but didn’t want them. Applied for Ipswich job but didn’t get it. 

All true

Lovely, lovely little man

9 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

Good interview. 

For as much as I thought it time for him to go, I absolutely do not think we would be in this position if he was still here. He'd probably have had Ramirez more consistent over the season too.

Also didn't realise that Sheerin was down at Killie with him now.

Exactly. McInnes gets a lot of heat from a lot of Dons fans but he was a success here and there's no way we ever finish in the bottom 6 with him as manager. That's not to say his time hadn't come to move on 8 years is a long time in modern day football. 

Replacing McInnes after 8 years was never the issue most accepted it was time for a change. To replace him with a complete novice management team in such an important season was the issue. That's all on Cormack and he needs to make it up to the fans by backing Goodwin to the hilt this summer. 

1 hour ago, RabidGiraffe said:

I remember listening to an interview with Willie Miller and a couple of other Scottish managers a couple of years ago and they had a name for this type of player, which I can't remember.  It was "training ground Pele" or something like that.  Players who were world beaters on the training ground, outstanding to watch, but when you put them out in front of a crowd on a Saturday afternoon they were next to useless.  Just couldn't cope with the pressure of playing in front of people.

"Monday to Friday players", they were called at one high profile Yorkshire club, who had a lot of them at the time.

2 minutes ago, Shinniesta said:

Exactly. McInnes gets a lot of heat from a lot of Dons fans but he was a success here and there's no way we ever finish in the bottom 6 with him as manager. That's not to say his time hadn't come to move on 8 years is a long time in modern day football. 

Replacing McInnes after 8 years was never the issue most accepted it was time for a change. To replace him with a complete novice management team in such an important season was the issue. That's all on Cormack and he needs to make it up to the fans by backing Goodwin to the hilt this summer. 

New training complex aside, everything Cormack seems to have touched has served to undo the work and atmosphere that was built and created at the club. Id imagine if most employees of the club were asked, it's currently  not as happy a place to work now.

8 hours ago, Betty Swallicks said:

What if I told you he's in Seville with his idiot son.

To be honest that wouldn't change my opinion on him, we all know he's a hun but he still very rarely says a bad word against us which you would expect a rabid hun to do everytime he is asked about us. McInnes seems a decent guy. His son seems and absolute weapon however.

I watched that opengoal thing with him, first time I've watched it as I cant stand those two weegie pricks but I thought it was really good.

3 hours ago, Redmist1903 said:

To be honest that wouldn't change my opinion on him, we all know he's a hun but he still very rarely says a bad word against us which you would expect a rabid hun to do everytime he is asked about us. McInnes seems a decent guy. His son seems and absolute weapon however.

I watched that opengoal thing with him, first time I've watched it as I cant stand those two weegie pricks but I thought it was really good.

Aye very complimentary and still affectionate to the dons. You couldn’t imagine mcghee having a good word to say and Calderwood, pre illness, would just be going on about still not knowing why he was sacked 

10 hours ago, King Street Loon said:

Good interview. 

For as much as I thought it time for him to go, I absolutely do not think we would be in this position if he was still here. He'd probably have had Ramirez more consistent over the season too.

Also didn't realise that Sheerin was down at Killie with him now.

He wouldn't have as Ramirez wouldn't have been on his or the clubs radar had he still been here.

10 minutes ago, Tommy said:

He supports whatever team his old man is at. He’s a bitter wee cunt. Last week he was cheering on Killie, tonight he is a hun.

You mean he supports his old man and is public with his support.

Imagine being behind your dad and showing him support, (not on you) but it's a low blow bringing McInnes's family into it. 

1 minute ago, Broken_Glass said:

You mean he supports his old man and is public with his support.

Imagine being behind your dad and showing him support, (not on you) but it's a low blow bringing McInnes's family into it. 

It's also a low blow to slate the club and fans who paid your daddy's wages for 8 years. 

3 hours ago, King Street Loon said:

Was bizarre, for a minute watching it I did think to myself that I wished he was still here. Despite everything he did bring stability to the dressing room. Even though Cormack undermined that.

Life however goes on and we have to hope Goodwin is sufficiently backed and given the time to get it right.

Exactly my thoughts. Watching it, I yearned for the stability he brought us and the multi Hampden visits. But all good things come to an end and it went very stale late on

42 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Exactly my thoughts. Watching it, I yearned for the stability he brought us and the multi Hampden visits. But all good things come to an end and it went very stale late on

Did it? The season he was sacked I think was his best start to a season. Up until Xmas Hedges, Wright and Watkins were very good to watch.

Like he said in the interview, he lost all 3 of them and Cosgrove and Cormack didn't back him in that window. For me, the football turned to this boring possession based crap with no end product pretty much since that January

1 hour ago, sooth_stander said:

I was so grateful to lose all those games at Hampden. 

Memories that I'll hold forever. 

Come off it

I think that’s the bit people struggle with.  Did Derek do his absolute best to win those games and to at least put up a pretence of trying to match the Huns as they flew past (and they did, absolutely no denying that).  The teams were prepared, particularly for the Celtic finals but did they truly believe?  It’s certainly my view that Dereks glass Ceiling was firmly in place May 2017 onwards.

1 hour ago, minijc said:

it was the manner of the defeats that got me though, most of them were complete disasters. 

Of course unlike you're champion Glass who couldn't even get near a final - however that is acceptable as he was trying something different!! 

McInnes would never have had us in 10th spot. End of discussion.

10 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

Of course unlike you're champion Glass who couldn't even get near a final - however that is acceptable as he was trying something different!! 

McInnes would never have had us in 10th spot. End of discussion.

Glass was never my champion and his failures, especially in the cups were not acceptable, that should be obvious given that he is no longer the manager here.

You're right, he wouldn't have but he was taking us backwards as things had got extremely stale.