Barcelona

4 hours ago, Bluto10 said:

salah? total joke he’d be the best player in the world. good player for a very good team but the boys 30. 
nowhere near the level of Messi. this season or any other - he’s been legendary since he was 18!

The chat's about who was the best player last season, not who's had the best career ye pish soaked alky shambles.

2 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I don't think Messi should have got it this year. 

But to be fair he did score 40 goals and won the Copa America. 

Not bad for being probably the worst 12 months in his entire career. 

Is winning the Copa America that big a deal if you play for Argentina? Brazil are the only other big international side in the competition, it's not a patch on winning the Euros.

8 hours ago, maryhilldon said:

Exactly. So why are you talking about what Messi's achieved over the last 15 years? That's irrelevant to who was best last season or this calendar year, which is what the Ballon d'Or recognises.

not really. I’m just saying it’s par for the course with messi.

there were some football geeks I was reading\ hearing that were explaining why he won it. all the la liga stat bollox like goals, assists etc. etc.  

and same in copa america (which I’d argue is a big trophy even if you are Argentinan)

5 hours ago, maryhilldon said:

Is winning the Copa America that big a deal if you play for Argentina? Brazil are the only other big international side in the competition, it's not a patch on winning the Euros.

I think the fact that that's the first time they've won it during his career made it a bigger deal. 

I'm not defending Messi getting the vote BTW. I was just saying that even his worst year is better than just about every other player's best. Shows the level he's actually achieved in previous years was ridiculously high. 

I met a boy on Saturday night who was a Liverpool/ hun fan. Never met one of them before 

Was provoking him by saying Reece James (Chelsea defender) is currently the best player in the world. Mental how serious some folk take that chat.

Will anyone care about the Ballon once Messi/ Ronald retire? I’d be surprised if they didn’t can it 

5 hours ago, Poodler said:

I met a boy on Saturday night who was a Liverpool/ hun fan. Never met one of them before 

Was provoking him by saying Reece James (Chelsea defender) is currently the best player in the world. Mental how serious some folk take that chat.

Will anyone care about the Ballon once Messi/ Ronald retire? I’d be surprised if they didn’t can it 

I was so surprised to hear Messi won the Ballon D'Or.

I thought Lewandowski was a shoe in for it

Messi probably only the second best player in the world this year, after Benzema. 

Being the best player, top goalscorer, top assists & captaining his team to victory in the Copa America probably tipped it in his favour. 

He should have about 3 more Balon D'ors than he does already, so I've no issue with him winning it when he's maybe only been the second best player on the planet. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...