Barcelona

28 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Same. Thinking about it, I've never seen anything man-made as fascinating. The fridge obviously doesn't agree but after an hour or two inside, it was the words in the wee Gaudi museum that switched my light on. I couldn't work out why I loved this place when I'd never felt anything in other big cathedrals and churches etc. (other than astonishment at how much effort went in to the construction and decoration). His words nailed it and I remember touching and looking at the geometric designs of the great columns and seeing the nature within. 

Nae interest in that stuff to be honest - was  more interested in nailing the Catalan birds 

I did have the best column there so that was enough for me!

3 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

Same. Thinking about it, I've never seen anything man-made as fascinating. The fridge obviously doesn't agree but after an hour or two inside, it was the words in the wee Gaudi museum that switched my light on. I couldn't work out why I loved this place when I'd never felt anything in other big cathedrals and churches etc. (other than astonishment at how much effort went in to the construction and decoration). His words nailed it and I remember touching and looking at the geometric designs of the great columns and seeing the nature within. 

What were the words? I remember reading a quote about why he hardly ever used straight lines in his work and him saying something along the lines that there's no straight lines in nature and it's more beautiful than anything man made. 

27 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Can't remember the specific actual words - they were written in the wee museum just off the main floor - but it was something to do with the great book of nature and art etc. The columns were very unique architecturally, something to do with connecting the heavens and the earth and were "star shaped", the result of three squares so had twelve "points". He was a deeply religious man and I recall the 16 numerals outside all adding up to Jesus's age when he died (or something like that) and it was mathematically genius, (coincidentally a fridge magnet we have here, the only souvenir we took back). The Twelve is significant because that number appears both in nature and religions, specifically in the Islam and Christian faiths (which some say are re-hashes of the same shit) so the whole construction was rooted in meaning and symbolism.

Most of all for me, probably cos numbers are my ting, the feeling of the space was superb and uniquely "non-churchian" (cos I hate most of the rhetoric in all organised religions) and to then learn of the brilliant mathematical mind wot done it and to see the manifestations of it in his geometry etc., I found it utterly amazing.

Cool story bro

5 hours ago, Parklife said:

La Sagrada Familia is the most spectacular man-made thing I've ever seen. Me and the Mrs spent about 4-5 hours walking around it, admiring it and taking it all in. 

Can't wait to go back and see it again. 

this is my abiding memory of it, last time I was there.

miss those pub shoes ?

BF908820-746-D-435-F-8-DE9-C843-CC66-CBB

2 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

Can't remember the specific actual words - they were written in the wee museum just off the main floor - but it was something to do with the great book of nature and art etc. The columns were very unique architecturally, something to do with connecting the heavens and the earth and were "star shaped", the result of three squares so had twelve "points". He was a deeply religious man and I recall the 16 numerals outside all adding up to Jesus's age when he died (or something like that) and it was mathematically genius, (coincidentally a fridge magnet we have here, the only souvenir we took back). The Twelve is significant because that number appears both in nature and religions, specifically in the Islam and Christian faiths (which some say are re-hashes of the same shit) so the whole construction was rooted in meaning and symbolism.

Most of all for me, probably cos numbers are my ting, the feeling of the space was superb and uniquely "non-churchian" (cos I hate most of the rhetoric in all organised religions) and to then learn of the brilliant mathematical mind wot done it and to see the manifestations of it in his geometry etc., I found it utterly amazing.

I thought the columns were almost tree like in the way they rose up and branched out. 

It was the light I found most incredible. His use of it was phenomenal. How someone could envision the way it would flow in to the building & design it so perfectly that the vision became a reality blows my mind. Then there's the huge stained glass windows and the colours the light flowing through them casts everywhere.

20 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Aye the light was amazing. Never looked at Stained Glass in any detail before.

Queued to get into Westminster Abbey to see the Hockney but got fucked off with the queue so not seen it yet. He's all artist more than maths though so will be a totally different vibe I reckon. Seeing his exhibition next month at the RA. Love his stuff too but Gaudi's genius was uniquely innovative.

Did you go to Parc Guell?

@Fridge, did you go to it when you lived there?

Yeah. Sure did. Some climb to get there but totally worth it. The vibrancy of the colours and attention to detail on the mosaics is unreal. We went late afternoon and the way the light reflected off the mosaics, plus the backdrop of the city skyline and sea, was some sight  

Plus, every structure there has loads of classic Gaudi elements. Not a straight line to be found. 

37 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Aye the light was amazing. Never looked at Stained Glass in any detail before.

Queued to get into Westminster Abbey to see the Hockney but got fucked off with the queue so not seen it yet. He's all artist more than maths though so will be a totally different vibe I reckon. Seeing his exhibition next month at the RA. Love his stuff too but Gaudi's genius was uniquely innovative.

Did you go to Parc Guell?

@Fridge, did you go to it when you lived there?

Was too busy teaching golf lessons online 

6 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Never knew about that no straight lines business before today but it's absolutely right.

This was my favourite part of PG;

gaudi-parc-guell-arches.jpg

Was quite weird walking through there I thought, made me want to lean to the side as i walked. 

Casa Batlo is worth a visit too, if you've not been. 

3 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

I found Barcelona (and Madrid) nothing special in terms of bars and restaurants. Probably cos we didn't have any local knowledge and got the tourist trap joints.

see above

Not been for ten years. But did have some amazing food in Barcelona. Place i mention earlier was the best

5 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

I found Barcelona (and Madrid) nothing special in terms of bars and restaurants. Probably cos we didn't have any local knowledge and got the tourist trap joints.

We done one of those food and wine tour things in Madrid. The guy took us to a couple of great tapas bars. Decent wine (to my uneducated palate anyway) for about €5 a glass, good tapas & great atmospheres. 

Ended up going back to one of them every night we had left. 

Madrid probably my favourite city for nightlife. Great tapas bars like that for going to with her & loads of livelier bars for when I've been with my pals. 

On 8/23/2021 at 6:44 PM, Roberto said:

Levantes second goal against Real Madrid was an absolute banger. 

Atletico will walk the league IMO.

I’m watching this #now.

was presuming it was #Live

lol

watched end of Shaquile vs. Monaco. I know that was definitely on in real tine

On 8/20/2021 at 12:58 PM, Parklife said:

Yeah. Sure did. Some climb to get there but totally worth it. The vibrancy of the colours and attention to detail on the mosaics is unreal. We went late afternoon and the way the light reflected off the mosaics, plus the backdrop of the city skyline and sea, was some sight  

Plus, every structure there has loads of classic Gaudi elements. Not a straight line to be found. 

^ This is peak Parky. What a pretentious dickhead.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Getting blitzed on your own on a weeknight and being a nob on line, that is so sad-act MHD. 

Quite the insult from a "man" who spends half his holiday arguing online and posts hourly updates from major sporting events to his internet friends 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Lewandowski and Salah have been head and shoulders above anyone else individually this season.

Messi and Ronaldo are the best players in the last 15 years but to give it to either of them based on this past season alone is purely political.

Jorginho even should rank higher than Messi FFS.

jorgy boy? that’s just cause he won two trophies in teams he wasn’t the best player in. madness

the point with Messi and Ronaldo is they’re so good youre anesthetised to their brilliance.

salah? total joke he’d be the best player in the world. good player for a very good team but the boys 30. 
nowhere near the level of Messi. this season or any other - he’s been legendary since he was 18!