How long could you stay off booze?

6 minutes ago, Beachend Bootboy said:

Nah mate.  Life's much better without it, not just for me but for those around me.  Took me 30 odd years to realise it weren't big, clever, tough or particularly Scottish to get arseholed at any give opportunity.

But you must feel a cunt at nights oot (mind them?), at the fitba, weddings etc though?

I couldn't stand to be around pissed folk if sober.

5 minutes ago, Beachend Bootboy said:

Nah mate.  Life's much better without it, not just for me but for those around me.  Took me 30 odd years to realise it weren't big, clever, tough or particularly Scottish to get arseholed at any give opportunity.

So you were an alcoholic? Well done for getting through it.

9 minutes ago, Beachend Bootboy said:

To be fair you're a pretty good advert not to give it up. 

• Upvote 5
Just now, Don Fonte said:

Just now, Don Fonte said:

No, never had a dependacy just a strong liking (binging). As Frankie Boyle once said 'Isn't binge drinking just what we used to call..........drinking.'?

I think I could easily have lost control tho, the signs were there but managed to pull back from that particular precipice.

2 minutes ago, Beachend Bootboy said:

No, never had a dependacy just a strong liking (binging). As Frankie Boyle once said 'Isn't binge drinking just what we used to call..........drinking.'?

I think I could easily have lost control tho, the signs were there but managed to pull back from that particular precipice.

Take drugs instead min.

3 minutes ago, Geoff_Tipps said:

To be fair you're a pretty good advert not to give it up. 

Aye, and you're a pretty good advert for you continuing. 

Thing is, I wouldn't preach to any cunt.  I stopped because I realised where it was likely to end.  Others can do what they want.  Moderation is something I struggled with (not just drink either).

8 minutes ago, Betty Swallicks said:

But you must feel a cunt at nights oot (mind them?), at the fitba, weddings etc though?

I couldn't stand to be around pissed folk if sober.

Well, on more than one occasion (fuckin hundreds probably) I made a cunt of myself at weddin's, night's oot and do's or got lifted bacause of the drink.  You kinda get used to others bein' pished, dizna really bother me now, seein' as I used to be like that myself.  Each to their own like.

Just now, Parklife said:

I think I've had one weekend not drinking since the start of Covid times. 

I rarely drink during the week but come Saturday afternoon, I'm always in the mood for a beer or ten.

Once we're able to do a bit more in life again, I'll cut back the weekend excesses. 

That was my system too.  Rarely drank on a school night.  Weekends, fuckin' hell for leather.  Three or four day hangover and bang, into another weekend.  Just got to be a routine.  The hangovers were effecting me mentally as opposed to physically.  Just the depressive effect of alcohol I suppose.  Horrible feeling tho.

9 minutes ago, Beachend Bootboy said:

That was my system too.  Rarely drank on a school night.  Weekends, fuckin' hell for leather.  Three or four day hangover and bang, into another weekend.  Just got to be a routine.  The hangovers were effecting me mentally as opposed to physically.  Just the depressive effect of alcohol I suppose.  Horrible feeling tho.

I've never suffered hangovers much at all. Needs to be a solid 3-4 day session, like on a boys trip somewhere, before I get one. 

It's the boredom just now that is leading to an increase in my drinking. Fuck all else to do and fuck all to get back in my best shape for either. 

I'm a poofter, have a 2/3 day bender and make sure everyone Ken's about it then dinna drink again for a week. the binges are in the locker though not every weekend now.

some of you are absolute machines. I'm in decline, propped up by narcotics and a short career at the top level. 

but I'll talk a good game 

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I've never suffered hangovers much at all. Needs to be a solid 3-4 day session, like on a boys trip somewhere, before I get one. 

It's the boredom just now that is leading to an increase in my drinking. Fuck all else to do and fuck all to get back in my best shape for either. 

Lucky too.  I was never bothered with hangovers until my mid-late 20's but by fuck they hit me after that. 

3 minutes ago, Bad_Mobby said:

if you like drinking (making a cunt of it) to fuck what everyone else thinks about you 

life’s too short

Life's also too short to fuck up the things that mean something to you.  I'm afraid that's what I was faced with.  Anyhow, as I said, I don't preach, each to their own.  The question was asked and I answered for my circustances. Everyone's different.

there's an equilibrium that emerges over time, where you get moderately pished every single night.. on occasion you push the boat oot further, you just take the next night aff and then get straight back on it again

with a settled regimen, its not so much whether you could stay aff it...  mair to the point why the fuck would you

14 minutes ago, Parklife said:

This is basically my life for the past 12 months. 

All I need is a massive blow out and I’ll be back to drinking less.  

Fags are the same. Smoke cause I’m bored, I don’t need one or even want one, but when it’s 8 degrees, dark outside and there’s fuck all else to do I’ll crack a 20 deck open and sit in the garage listening to music full chat and have a beer. 

I did 22 month off before because of me 'leever', had been drinking loads for years everyday especially through the 90's and early 00's, power drinking(lager & spirits) on days off work with hardly any food, had developed a tolerance and rarely got pissed which added to my problem, sometimes the illegal substances on top would bang me out though to be fair.

Rarely drank at home those days, although i didn't spend much time at home, drinking was a sociable pastime for me, smoking too.

Being stuck at home recently i've learnt how to only have a few drinks and with a meal.

Think i could do a few month off it these days if i wanted.