How long could you stay off booze?

Generally, I would just drink at weekends, until my 40s, probably because of the bint, would start having a reed wine efter work on most weekdays.

Job started in Iraq 3 years ago, it was nae drink 28 days at a time. Longest run of nae drink days since I was aboot 11.

Fine being dry and getting fit for those 28 days, but then 28 aff seemed like a bit of a holiday. All the time.

Working fae hame for the noo, nae drinking that much during the week, but generally always have a buzz every Friday & Saturday.

Beach stramash Friday, Watch Dons wi' the boys Saturday basically.

Midday stramash in Pyla at the Turkish border* with some friends at a kiosk in UN buffer zone this Saturday pre-match.

Pints draught Efes €1.50. And kebabs. 

*Border of non recognised Turkish occupied Northern Cyprus.

2 minutes ago, reekie_dock said:

Longest is two month only through work, could never give up the beer. 

Same for me, which was last year when stuck in Iraq due to Covid and failed evacuations.

Beer. and the social interactions therein, is the finest enjoyment in life.

Fuck giving that up.

I've not drunk much since lockdown started last March. Not a drinker in the house, find that a bit pointless and boring. Also having 2 young kids, I'm not getting woke up early with a hangover! So i've only really had a few beers here or there, or when I've had zoom pub quizes etc. 

I enjoy a beer/cider every so often, would never say "i'm not drinking again", but if I had to give drink up, it wouldn't bother me that much. I couldn't do a night out with mates, or a wedding etc without drink though, that would be absolutely shite.

2 hours ago, muttonhumper said:

Generally, I would just drink at weekends, until my 40s, probably because of the bint, would start having a reed wine efter work on most weekdays.

Job started in Iraq 3 years ago, it was nae drink 28 days at a time. Longest run of nae drink days since I was aboot 11.

Fine being dry and getting fit for those 28 days, but then 28 aff seemed like a bit of a holiday. All the time.

Working fae hame for the noo, nae drinking that much during the week, but generally always have a buzz every Friday & Saturday.

Beach stramash Friday, Watch Dons wi' the boys Saturday basically[/b].

Midday stramash in Pyla at the Turkish border* with some friends at a kiosk in UN buffer zone this Saturday pre-match.

Pints draught Efes €1.50. And kebabs. 

*Border of non recognised Turkish occupied Northern Cyprus.

There a few NE loons oot there?

I give it up annually, every Lent,  which is for 7 weeks.

Its from Ash Wednesday till Easter Sunday.  This year its 17th Feb to 4th April (I think).

Towards the end, every year, I always think "I could just stay off it" - but never do! 

I love a good drink normally and could certainly find happy medium between abstinence and drinking like a fish!  Trouble is that having a good drink puts you in mind for another, the next day!

• Dildo 1
2 hours ago, StandFree1982 said:

I've not drunk much since lockdown started last March. Not a drinker in the house, find that a bit pointless and boring. Also having 2 young kids, I'm not getting woke up early with a hangover!

I can enjoy a beer at home at the weekend, with music, a film or video game for example.

But I agree with you, having a few beers at night is not very compatible with the demands of family life early next morning!

6 minutes ago, BrianFaePerth said:

15 days isn’t 6.5 weeks 

2 minutes ago, NEM said:

Barely 2 fucking weeks ?

They nae teach maths at Sunday school min?

Sorry troops its the 4th April, not March.  Obviously.

Its my ability to type what I mean,  not my maths, which is faulty!  ?

Sunday school is a protestant thing: I don't know what they teach there (other than heresy).