Dundee United 1 - 0 Aberdeen

46 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

No such thing as a soft penalty.

it’s a penalty or it’s not. 

It was a penalty. 

The bigger problem is that the useless cunts who make these decisions see accountable to no-one. 

Of course there is. You get "stonewall" penalties - without any doubt that a law has been broken. Then you get soft ones; where the referee probably hasn't kicked a ball in his life so deems a law has been broken, usually for minimal contact, when if you've played yourself you know it isn't enough contact for a player to go down or a penalty to be awarded. 

• Upvote 1
  • Dildo 1
Just now, Durrant Dived said:

Of course there is. You get "stonewall" penalties - without any doubt that a law has been broken. Then you get soft ones; where the referee probably hasn't kicked a ball in his life so deems a law has been broken, usually for minimal contact, when if you've played yourself you know it isn't enough contact for a player to go down or a penalty to be awarded. 

Two hands on the back is always a foul. 

As an ex footballer you know this. 

It was a penalty. 

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Bringing up other situations where the wrong decision was made doesn't make you right. 

It just makes you an apologist for referees who get it wrong. 

I just don't think two hand on the back automatically make it a foul. If the 2 hands are specifically pushing or pulling the opponent it's a different matter. 

And i was screaming for a penalty at the time but on 2nd viewing didn't think there was much in it or enough in it to be a penalty. Was never a booking for simulation though. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

I just don't think two hand on the back automatically make it a foul. If the 2 hands are specifically pushing or pulling the opponent it's a different matter. 

And i was screaming for a penalty at the time but on 2nd viewing didn't think there was much in it or enough in it to be a penalty. Was never a booking for simulation though. 

You've played football.  Every time a player puts two hands on the back of an opponent it's a foul.  There's no argument. 

In my latter days playing 11s I played at centre back alongside a young lad who was forever giving away free kicks for putting hands on the back of the forward he was marking.  Sometimes 6 or 7 times a game.  Used to drive me fucking mental. 

Ferguson was in front of him and he put his hands on him.  Stonewall penalty.  You can't even argue that Ferguson was backing in. 

33 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

You do need a ref with game knowledge though.  If I’m Ferguson in front and I hit the brakes the defenders instinct is to raise his hands else he’s running into me.  

Some of our refs have been doing it for 15 to 20 years.  How much game knowledge do they need? 

The problem is they are so incompetent and inconsistent that people don't know what's a foul or not these days. 

It's like when the Huns play in Europe and someone sends any of their players off.  They are astounded because they're not used to being penalised for that domestically. 

37 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

You do need a ref with game knowledge though.  If I’m Ferguson in front and I hit the brakes the defenders instinct is to raise his hands else he’s running into me.  

That is still a foul. Ferguson had control of the ball and if the player bundles through the back of you, then it’s a foul

That’s a personal bug bear of mine.  I’d insist the player takes a touch to be deemed in control.  If he then wants to usher it out for a corner so be it.

Regardless, it’s all about extremes.  There’s a difference between a striker nipping in front of a defender with a view to shooting, crossing or whatever, and one who suddenly slows specifically to initiate the two handed contact I described.  And to be fair there’s defenders clever enough to see it coming, or at the other extreme (minus the hands), are deliberately going to barge into you to punt you out of play.