Old firm B teams

2 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

That was my first sighting of many of our young players, going to reserve games at Pittodrie. 

I remember the first time I saw Glass himself in one of those games against the Hun reserves. Played up front and scored a double in a 2-2 draw I think.  Was a complete stand out in that team. 

Think we only paid a couple of quid to get in. The main stand was the only one open. 

Aye I remember seeing Glass also, yes it was Main stand only but remember one Huns game where the crowd was so big they opened the South stand also. £2 for adults and £1 for kids if you didn't have an ST.  You also got to see first team players returning from Injury as well as the up and coming youngsters

• 1 month later...

who in their right mind thinks that its a good idea to increase the number of teams in our league system simply to allow the arse cheeks reserves into the set up??

We should be looking at reducing the number of mouths in the trough not increasing it ffs!

Time for DC to stand up and go on record and state that this is not getting his vote EVER and maybe someone like McGregor will back him up then it can be forgotten about 

I don’t even see the logic.  If I read it right they take up two highland league clubs (who? Brora presumably plus one other and then freeze it for three years).  Why would Annan and Stranraer want Brora in? East Kilbride are just a mini Hamilton and Barry Ferguson’s mob have so much potential he left the second they got in.

Call it out for what it is.  An anchor point for two clubs to fuck off but regrettably not fuck off.

On 5/11/2021 at 1:42 PM, Sheepo said:

Used to love going to the Reserves at Pittodrie, when I was a kid we would go on a Saturday when first team was away and we used to get some decent crowds especially against the Cheeks. Then used to take my loon to the reserves when he was about 5/6 to dip his toes in the water before first team games by then they were moved to midweek but still at Pittodrie and again sometimes got small but decent crowds especially when we were getting a raft of trialists in a few Years back. It used to be FOC with Season tickets. No idea why they stopped this probably some Cheeks Bollocks or unsmart thinking by the authorities

Remember going when it was a Monday night. Got in free if you were a season ticket. Rangers and Celtic only fans who took some up. Always a good bit of niggle between fans even at reserve games.

last one I was at was some youth cup game in 2009 middle of he afternoon on a Tuesday at Pittodrie 

On 6/30/2021 at 2:22 AM, strachanmcgheegoal said:

East Kilbride are just a mini Hamilton

Think it might be more accurate to label Hamilton a mini East Kilbride. EK is the 6th largest town/city in Scotland with a population estimated at 75,000 in 2016.

Hamilton had a population of 53,000 in 2016. Then there's Livingston with a population of 57,000.

I think EK could make it to the top league if they play their cards right and garner local interest.

10 minutes ago, Lan_Lad said:

Think it might be more accurate to label Hamilton a mini East Kilbride. EK is the 6th largest town/city in Scotland with a population estimated at 75,000 in 2016.

Hamilton had a population of 53,000 in 2016. Then there's Livingston with a population of 57,000.

I think EK could make it to the top league if they play their cards right and garner local interest.

Their ground is very small. 660 capacity. They would have to build or ground share if they want to get beyond league 2

29 minutes ago, Lan_Lad said:

I disagree. It'd take decades to grow any sort of support for East Kilbride. The town is full of huns & tims and regardless of how well EK were to do, they just wouldn't get supported. 

36 minutes ago, Oregon Red said:

Their ground is very small. 660 capacity. They would have to build or ground share if they want to get beyond league 2

A quote from their wiki entry.

Formed in 2010 with the intention of bringing senior football to one of Scotland's largest towns

I would guess given the founding intention that they knew a 660 capacity wouldn't take them there. So would further guess they would have some sort of plan in mind.

18 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I disagree. It'd take decades to grow any sort of support for East Kilbride. The town is full of huns & tims and regardless of how well EK were to do, they just wouldn't get supported. 

I suspect otherwise. I don't think it would be too difficult to create interest in such a large town that has never had a senior football team. Plus it's still a growing town with a steady population growth.

20 minutes ago, Lan_Lad said:

I suspect otherwise. I don't think it would be too difficult to create interest in such a large town that has never had a senior football team. Plus it's still a growing town with a steady population growth.

I think you massively underestimate the staunchness of the people of EK. 

1 hour ago, Durrant Dived said:

Heart of Midlothian?

No (predictably).  I’ve been Googling for them this afternoon but can’t see them.  I wonder if they’ve changed their name.  In my memory I’m thinking Edinburgh 1823 or something.  Sure I saw them in a cup game maybe 3 years ago.  Lad in the pub said a few of them could easy cope with full time football but also had decent jobs in Edinburgh so preferred the mix.

Even after 20+ years in the “big” leagues , Ross County and ICT (even though they’re 180 odd miles from Glasgow) still struggle with many locals still supporting Rangers and Celtic as opposed to their local clubs, so it would be a major challenge for EK to grow a substantial fan base 

1 hour ago, Itsagoal said:

Even after 20+ years in the “big” leagues , Ross County and ICT (even though they’re 180 odd miles from Glasgow) still struggle with many locals still supporting Rangers and Celtic

Ross County's average crowd is similar to the population of Dingwall.   Dingwall has a population of about 4000,  they took 20000 to a cup final 180 miles away.  They're the last club you could slag about lack of support.  Inverness on the other hand,  they don't support their local team.  Hun glory hunters aplenty. 

St Johnstone and all the Fife clubs will always play a poor second fiddle to the bigots when it comes to support in their areas. Even Dundee, i’ll guess will have more OF supporters than dee/dabs.

The lower division sides all over Britain will have a lot of fans who also support a bigger team. I dont understand it. 

On 7/6/2021 at 7:47 AM, Lan_Lad said:

A quote from their wiki entry.

I would guess given the founding intention that they knew a 660 capacity wouldn't take them there. So would further guess they would have some sort of plan in mind.

From the Daily Retard, looks like a Livingston style job but with three sides:

"East Kilbride FC have confirmed work on a new stadium will go ahead "as soon as we get back to some sort of normality."

The 4000-seater development in Langlands will be built by local charity East Kilbride Community Trust and the Lowland League side will be the prominent tenant.

The stadium was first given the go-ahead by South Lanarkshire Council's planning department in November 2017 when the development at Hurlawcrook Road was given permission in principle.

When EKCT first lodged their blueprint for a phased 4000-seater development, they had hoped to be operational by late 2018 with the stadium completed in its entirety by 2020."

i read that it fell substantially short of the numbers needed so surely common sense will prevail and Doncaster and his cronies will see that the only people who think its a good idea are him and the bigot brothers. Let them play in the lowland league but with no prospect of promotion EVER and let that be the end of it. 

2 hours ago, eddiec said:

Let them play in the lowland league but with no prospect of promotion EVER and let that be the end of it. 

I wouldn't even support that. Once their Colts are in the pyramid, it doesn't matter if there's a rule saying they can't ever be promoted. The foot is in the door and in a season or two, the rule can be changed.