Scottish Elections

caledonia

SCOTTISH ELECTIONS  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Who will you be voting for come the Scottish Elections in May

7 minutes ago, Fridge said:

The system is a fucking load of pish though, how many folk on here seriously have a clue what is going on let alone your average pensioner.

If you want SNP, Conservatives or Labour vote for them. You shouldn’t have to be having to work out fucking algorithm’s and tactically voting.

You don't. Its not complicated if you actually read how it works. 

You think it's fair the Tories got 56% of the seats in the UK Parliament with 43.6% of the vote? 

4 minutes ago, Fridge said:

If it’s not that complicated how come they have had to drive it down throats to tactically vote? 

1. who's "they"? I can't recall any party except Alba doing that. 
2. Tactical voting happens all the time in the FPTP system. 

4 minutes ago, Fridge said:

Is anyone seriously fucking voting SNP / Green Party because they give a fuck about the Green parties politics?

Yes. Of course they are. 

4 minutes ago, shut up meg said:

It's not too bad a system  actually,  in the North East, the SNP got circa 50% of the vote and 9 out of the 17 seats.

Tories got 5 out of 17 with circa 30%, Labour 2 with circa 15% and LD 1 seat with 6%.

Not the best system but a hell of a lot better than FPTP alone.

Exactly. 

It was introduced to prevent parties in Scotland achieving overall majorities and to encourage cross party co-operation and consent. It has achieved that to an extent.

That SNP managed to  win an overall majority in 2011 was a remarkable achievement. However Jackie Baillie has just held on to her Dumbarton constituency and to get a majority this time I think that was a vital seat for the nats to win. I think they'll now definitely fall 1 seat short. 

Salmond looked a beaten man in his TV interview. He was correct about one thing though. Both votes SNP is a wasted list vote in central Scotland

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Fridge said:

Agreed there is no perfect system but if you tactically voted before you had to deal with the consequences of having someone you might not want as your local MP.

It's pretty decent system. I prefer it certainly to FPTP and probably also to full proportional representation that would just result in a massively fragmented parliament that achieves fuck all. 

The unionists (certainly tories) just massively swung Dumbarton for Labour. They gamed the system, just have to accept it. Indy parties need to do the same. 

That's why I'm pretty disappointed the SNP pushed for 1st and 2nd vote. They needed a clear message in some areas granted but it does show them up as possibly being more concerned about power than indy. 

Wish I'd seen Kate Forbes to give her a piece of my mind regards this. 

Anyway it's done now, and hopefully lessons will be learnt for the next time, if ever there is one. SNP need to get a referendum this term, and we need to win it or I simply won't give a fuck anymore. 

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

It was introduced to prevent parties in Scotland achieving overall majorities and to encourage cross party co-operation and consent. It has achieved that to an extent.

That SNP managed to  win an overall majority in 2011 was a remarkable achievement. However Jackie Baillie has just held on to her Dumbarton constituency and to get a majority this time I think that was a vital seat for the nats to win. I think they'll now definitely fall 1 seat short. 

Salmond looked a beaten man in his TV interview. He was correct about one thing though. Both votes SNP is a wasted list vote in central Scotland

Why do the SNP push the 'both votes' message if its wasted like several posters and Salmond have stated?

I don't really follow politics enough to totally be up to speed on it.

The Scottish Family Party did well. 

Hahahha.

Thank god no on in Scotland is as backwards at that Clydeside Sheep fruitloop. Very amusing.

7 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

Why do the SNP push the 'both votes' message if its wasted like several posters and Salmond have stated?

Because, to them, 1 extra SNP MSP on the list is worth more than 20 green/Alba MSP's. 

2 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

They do need a certain number of votes in the list or they would take none. But the problem is.....they take so many constituency seats in the highly populated areas of Scotland that it is very difficult for them under the formula used to allocate regional list MPs to gain many at all. But I suppose it would be a bad look for a major party to advocate voting for another party other than them no matter the circumstances.

Last time round they got a grand total of 4 list MP's.......3 in the South of Scotland region, which is dominated by Conservatives in the constituency seats,,, and 1 in the Highlands and Islands, where the Lib Dems do well.

Today the SNP have taken Ayr  and East Lothian, both of which are in the South of Scotland region list. (no idea why East Lothian isn't in the Lothian regional list, guessing its to do with population totals) The way the algorithm works, because they've taken these 2 extra constituency seats, it is absolutely definite they'll lose one from the regional list and in all likelihood they'll lose two. So no net gain overall.....they'll end up with just 1 list MP from S.o.S.

They had 0 list MP's in Lothian so their gain in Edinburgh Central won't affect that. Other than to make it even more difficult to get one!

All of Ayrshire voted SNP this time, every last unionist bit of Ayrshire, even ayr which never happens the hun bastards.pleased, a see Aberdeen is doing well SNP wise so far.smashing

although ayr was took by 170 votes,lot of drum banging cretin mutants, a lot of Huns crying there tonight.nice

I reckon that Nippy & co are likely to fall short of an overall majority with circa 62 seats.

However if Greens mirror or increase their current seat numbers, more than likely, there will be an independence majority in parliament.

Given that feckin' Boris is talking about a decade + in power this may be our last chance to hold a second referendum during this 5 year term, albeit the right to do so will require to be earned in courts.

No doubt that the vote will, ultimately, take place as Boris will continue to be seen as the corrupt incompetent that he is and Ross will also continue to show what a lightweight "leader" of the "opposition" that he is.

Bring it on!!!

4 hours ago, cheesepipes said:

He assumes everyone whos not a political bore like him is. 

Using a political party as some sort of belittling jibe but likes to pull up people on "horrendous banter". 

His Luke Skywalker young apprentice Consi is much more likeable. 

Parkie is a wanker Yoda. 

Mmmm Tory wanker, you are. 

Black people are treated so unfairly they are. 

You're in an elections thread moaning about folk talking about politics. That's Bluto/Bri levels of dimwittery & dullness. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1