caledonia

SCOTTISH ELECTIONS  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Who will you be voting for come the Scottish Elections in May

24 minutes ago, Simply Red said:

That post is ultra-woke

’reciprocate and apologise’

Aye ok Douglass Ross

I appreciate the absence of tone of voice here, but that was said in jest (the key word is *reciprocate* here) as a rebuke to the cancel culture mentality of some, who demand we apologise and repent for every perceived wrong. That said, both sides of this debate have stuck their necks out with their respective arguments, so I would at least have the decency to hold my hand up and admit I called it wrong, if by some miracle the FM and her stooges actually delivered independence.

18 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Agree. Yes JB, we know how fucking shit the SNP are but we have no option but to keep on voting for them.

At least the Tories were getting a battering in Scotland the last time I looked (excluding the weirdos in the borders). I just can't understand the support they're getting in England. This alone will assist those of us who want independence. 

I hope that, being the great intellectual mind that you are, you will consider my point, in that there was always an option. Too many bought into the "SNP until independence" mantra, years after it became increasingly clear that they were, at best, lukewarm about pursuing it. Alba may be flawed and have Salmond's baggage, but they have presented a golden opportunity to eliminate the counterintuitive monopoly the SNP had on the independence vote. Alas, it looks as if that opportunity has been squandered and around a million list votes wasted, which will also let many Unionist careerist nonentities in the back door. Again. 

After today, Scotland will have the country it deserves and there can be no complaints, at least until the Westminster 2024 election.

7 minutes ago, Dynamo said:

Best thing he could do is agree to it and try and win it. I still think a Yes vote would be incredibly touch and go. 

I agree with this and it is a terrible indictment on Sturgeon and Murrell that they inherited a party - and most importantly, a grassroots YES movement - that was incredibly energised and motivated, yet have proceeded to tread water for 5 years. Despite the perfect storm and endless favourable circumstances (I mean, endless Tory government we never vote for and Boris fucking Johnson as PM?!?!) they have failed utterly to put the question beyond doubt.

1 hour ago, rocket_scientist said:

I resent your great intellect remark, something I've never claimed but putting your careless words to the side, we who live in Scotland and who want independence had no choice but to vote for them. 

It was a genuine compliment, insofar as I've always found your more serious conversation to be engaging and intelligent. No matter, putting it to the side, I reiterate that across the board, the "SNP until independence" has grown in recent years, to the point where it has been hijacked by the usual suspects, who have taken their voters for granted at best and at worst, treated them with utter contempt.

The latest example has been their "both votes SNP" mantra as the only way to go. Not only will this mean that, just like five years ago, up to a million list votes will be utterly wasted and in fact only strengthen Unionist presence. I was among many who were berated widely last time out, simply for giving my second vote to the fledgling pro-independence Scottish Libertarian Party. These people either didn't understand the voting system, or like the SNP, know perfectly well but want to retain a monopoly on the independence side. 

As it stands, Alba were a lifeline and would, if given enough second votes, have secured a huge majority for Indyref2, which would be needed when (not if) the PM refuses and court action is desirable.

44 minutes ago, Henry said:

No you’re not. 

Yes I am, actually. I had hoped that by now, enough people would have caught on to the fact the SNP is a controlled opposition, either unable or unwilling to deliver independence in its present form. At the very least, I would have thought enough people would have realised that putting almost all (the Greens are lukewarm and polling suggests their members are actually split on the YES/NO question) indy eggs in one basket is not only handing unnecessary power to one cabal, it is turning off potential YES voters who are otherwise not convinced (putting it mildly) of the SNP merits. 

We must now turn to 2024 Westminster elections...

3 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

It was a genuine compliment, insofar as I've always found your more serious conversation to be engaging and intelligent. No matter, putting it to the side, I reiterate that across the board, the "SNP until independence" has grown in recent years, to the point where it has been hijacked by the usual suspects, who have taken their voters for granted at best and at worst, treated them with utter contempt.

The latest example has been their "both votes SNP" mantra as the only way to go. Not only will this mean that, just like five years ago, up to a million list votes will be utterly wasted and in fact only strengthen Unionist presence. I was among many who were berated widely last time out, simply for giving my second vote to the fledgling pro-independence Scottish Libertarian Party. These people either didn't understand the voting system, or like the SNP, know perfectly well but want to retain a monopoly on the independence side. 

It looks like it might get them a majority, according to the pundits on tv. 

Here's my bit. The snp are a strong voice for scotland, holding westminster to account. I voted to remain hoping that the rest of the uk would vote to remain and I think that is why scotland voted to stay part of the uk in the first indy ref.

Brexit should never have been put to the public. Even the powers that be were useless, the remain campaign should have called out the brexiteers. The leave campaign was just made up on the fly. We didn't know the full extent of what we were voting on because even the people asking us to vote leave, didn't know what they were talking about. I hope the BofE is right about the UK's economic growth.

Using the fishermen as pawns, even now, is tragic. The Tories just hump them, zuffle on the curtains, dump them.

I will always be scottish, so I am still to make up my mind if leaving the uk would be a good thing. 

If we do go independent, we should keep faslane and charge the uk defence department for keeping their subs in deep water. Legalise cannabis, a proven method of making money for the economy. Keep our nice fish here. I would be quite happy to have lobster thermidor supper from the chippy, with a few langoustine as a side.

• Dildo 1
37 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

As it stands, Alba were a lifeline and would, if given enough second votes, have secured a huge majority for Indyref2, which would be needed when (not if) the PM refuses and court action is desirable.

Yes I am, actually. I had hoped that by now, enough people would have caught on to the fact the SNP is a controlled opposition, either unable or unwilling to deliver independence in its present form. At the very least, I would have thought enough people would have realised that putting almost all (the Greens are lukewarm and polling suggests their members are actually split on the YES/NO question) indy eggs in one basket is not only handing unnecessary power to one cabal, it is turning off potential YES voters who are otherwise not convinced (putting it mildly) of the SNP merits. 

We must now turn to 2024 Westminster elections...

Well said. 

Told everyone SNP 1 ALBA (or even greens) 2. 

SNP can get fucked if they don't get a referendum in the next 5 years. And it will be their fault if they don't either get one, or have one regardless. 

SNP 1 & 2 was a load of shite probably influenced by the disagreement with Salmond. 

14 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

Well said. 

Told everyone SNP 1 ALBA (or even greens) 2. 

SNP can get fucked if they don't get a referendum in the next 5 years. And it will be their fault if they don't either get one, or have one regardless. 

SNP 1 & 2 was a load of shite probably influenced by the disagreement with Salmond. 

No point having a referendum if they don't win it . It's 50/50 just now , too close to call , wait a few years for some of the old fuckers to die off , the young vote will see us get independence 

5 minutes ago, Dad said:

Do you find it embarrassing the pish Kanye gets up to son? Just in like terms of a cunt repping your fave musical stylee

He is a fucking complete arsehole tbf 

Why would i? Do people who like shite music find Gary Glitter embarrassing for them? Or Morrisey? 

A good song is a good song, even if an arsehole made it.

Just now, redstrummer said:

No point having a referendum if they don't win it . It's 50/50 just now , too close to call , wait a few years for some of the old fuckers to die off , the young vote will see us get independence 

Winning the arguments, particularly on currency and a post-oil economic future will gain us independence. 

• Downvote 1