Scottish Elections

caledonia

SCOTTISH ELECTIONS  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Who will you be voting for come the Scottish Elections in May

46 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I asked and I ask again; what do you want us to do? 

Please go back and reread my last posts, where I clearly outlined that SNP 1, Alba 2 was a clear and viable choice, one which would have created a significant pro-independence majority, with the latter comprising committed and hungry activists holding the former to account. That opportunity has been blown, possibly for a generation.

The best bet now is another series of defections from the SNP, once the penny drops that Sturgeon is a charlatan.

33 minutes ago, The Buzzard said:

Careerist MSPs isn't solely a preserve of list Members. There's a few in the Governing party who could go a few sessions being elected every time and making no meaningful impact other than to turn up and vote the way they are told every week.

Absolutely agree, but it's also true that SNP politicians are elected to settle up, not settle down. They have failed miserably, except to line their own pockets.

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

@Jocky Balboa Looks like Alba cost at least 1 more pro-Indy MSP. 

Top work from them 

You too @caledonia  A pro independence MSP lost due to Alba. 

Parklife, that is desperate stuff and you know it. Far from extrapolating across the country, this case you cite is an anomaly. Across the country, approximately ONE MILLION list votes for the SNP have elected a mere TWO out of FIFTY-SIX, even worse than last time where there were four. 

What a waste.

2 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Please go back and reread my last posts, where I clearly outlined that SNP 1, Alba 2 was a clear and viable choice, one which would have created a significant pro-independence majority, with the latter comprising committed and hungry activists holding the former to account. That opportunity has been blown, possibly for a generation.

The best bet now is another series of defections from the SNP, once the penny drops that Sturgeon is a charlatan.

Absolutely agree, but it's also true that SNP politicians are elected to settle up, not settle down. They have failed miserably, except to line their own pockets.

Parklife, that is desperate stuff and you know it. Far from extrapolating across the country, this case you cite is an anomaly. Across the country, approximately ONE MILLION list votes for the SNP have elected a mere TWO out of FIFTY-SIX, even worse than last time where there were four. 

What a waste.

Agree desperate stuff as we can all see SNP 1 and 2 has wasted 1 million list votes no other way of spinning it.

10 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

I've read your posts. You're slaughtering people who voted SNP. No cunt voted for Alba. No cunt. The electorate views them as a joke. There'll be no defections. 

10 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Parklife, that is desperate stuff and you know it. Far from extrapolating across the country, this case you cite is an anomaly.

Ahhh. Alba directly costing pro-Indy MSPs is "an anomaly". While no one voting for a new party with no credibility and a tainted leader is everyone who voted for the SNP's fault. 

You have some amount of shite, Jocky  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
48 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I've read your posts. You're slaughtering people who voted SNP. No cunt voted for Alba. No cunt. The electorate views them as a joke. There'll be no defections. 

Ahhh. Alba directly costing pro-Indy MSPs is "an anomaly". While no one voting for a new party with no credibility and a tainted leader is everyone who voted for the SNP's fault. 

You have some amount of shite, Jocky  

I am not "slaughtering people who voted SNP" full stop, I am saying that those who parroted the line that SNP 1 & 2 was the best and/or only way forward, were/are demonstrably wrong. They were wrong five years ago when almost a million list votes got only 4/59 list MSP's and they are even more wrong now, when almost a million list votes get even less list MSP's. 

As for Alba, there have already been two MP defections and several councillors. They have more members than the Lib Dems in Scotland. Not bad for a party barely month old. I predict there will be more defections, you disagree. We shall see who is right, but I guarantee you that their story isn't over. 

Your last point is an ill-informed jibe as well. You know perfectly well what I was saying, namely that if more SNP voters had put independence before their party's monopoly and went SNP 1 Alba 2, we would have a broader independence coalition, one that would be significantly bolstered by new candidates who actually, you know, give a fuck about independence. Did you see John Mason's statement? Are you happy that, despite the urgency of his voters, he has made such a statement before the victory lap of honour has even begun?

1 hour ago, Jocky Balboa said:

I am not "slaughtering people who voted SNP" full stop, I am saying that those who parroted the line that SNP 1 & 2 was the best and/or only way forward, were/are demonstrably wrong. They were wrong five years ago when almost a million list votes got only 4/59 list MSP's and they are even more wrong now, when almost a million list votes get even less list MSP's. 

As for Alba, there have already been two MP defections and several councillors. They have more members than the Lib Dems in Scotland. Not bad for a party barely month old. I predict there will be more defections, you disagree. We shall see who is right, but I guarantee you that their story isn't over. 

Your last point is an ill-informed jibe as well. You know perfectly well what I was saying, namely that if more SNP voters had put independence before their party's monopoly and went SNP 1 Alba 2, we would have a broader independence coalition, one that would be significantly bolstered by new candidates who actually, you know, give a fuck about independence. Did you see John Mason's statement? Are you happy that, despite the urgency of his voters, he has made such a statement before the victory lap of honour has even begun?

It'll be interesting (to some!) as to what the future holds for Alba and whether this has all just been a vanity project for AS. Now that they (he) don't have a seat in Parliament will he continue to front the party and keep going for the next SP election in 5 years time? 

33 minutes ago, The Buzzard said:

It'll be interesting (to some!) as to what the future holds for Alba and whether this has all just been a vanity project for AS. Now that they (he) don't have a seat in Parliament will he continue to front the party and keep going for the next SP election in 5 years time? 

Of course it was a vanity project. 

He's embarrassed himself. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
1 hour ago, The Buzzard said:

Regardless of the fact he wasn't the founder, he chose to step forward as its figurehead. Sadly, many put their preconceptions about him ahead of critical thought about the merits of another pro-independence party. Whether he stays on is immaterial. Even if he retires tomorrow, the party has 2 Westminster MPs, defections from councils and around 5000 members, despite being only two months old. This story isn't over and there has to be somewhere to go for those who support independence and are wise to the bullshit the Murrells are peddling. 

I foresee a battle for the grassroots independence movement ahead and it won't end well for the Sturrell Mafia. Good riddance when their political demise comes. Independence campaigning can then resume in 2026.

There was absolutely no way Alba were going to succeed with Salmond as their leader.

It was complete arrogance on his part to lead them, his popularity was at rock bottom given how he has conducted himself in recent years. His arrogance and need to be centre of attention cost the party.

No one else to blame but Salmond.

• Upvote 1

ALBA Party needed to wait until after we got Independence then run against the SNP.

What a showing by the people of Scotland to vote in so large numbers for the SNP.

Let down by Aberdeenshire West again to stop the magical 65 seats needed for Majority .

Independence is coming very soon.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Dildo 2
9 hours ago, dazzy_deff said:

They've already had a majority. 2014 maybe?

2011 when the NE broke the system with 52.7% of the vote gaining a list seat for the SNP.

Hard to ignore yesterday's results. Like many, I don't particularly care about any other politics other than gaining independence but I also don't think this is the right time to force a referendum through.

Be interesting to see how it all transpires. Probably just droll chat about it for another 5 years.

Good result nonetheless.

Note that Annie Wells of Conservatives secured just over 2,000 votes in her constituency yet secured a seat via the regional list.

No problem in Tory securing a list seat after a close run constituency loss but rewarding a failure cannot be right surely?

3 minutes ago, Woody21 said:

Note that Annie Wells of Conservatives secured just over 2,000 votes in her constituency yet secured a seat via the regional list.

No problem in Tory securing a list seat after a close run constituency loss but rewarding a failure cannot be right surely?

Nice wee trip to the trough again for the reject ... coining it in. Surely list MSPs should be term-limited?

9 minutes ago, davieb said:

Nice wee trip to the trough again for the reject ... coining it in. Surely list MSPs should be term-limited?

All for proportional representation, in some form, but simply not having a poorly supported candidate being rewarded.

Surely you must only qualify if you secure a certain % of vote.

Furthermore see Ross didn't even stand in a constituency. Feck me, in the current system, he risked not a jot of his reputation to guarantee a seat. Total bollocks in my book.

34 minutes ago, Woody21 said:

I certainly don't think you should be able to stand for the constituency seat and the regional list seat. Takes the piss.

Party leader should also have to win a constituency seat. Weak as piss from the linesman to sneak in through the back door.

26 minutes ago, Lencarl said:

1,094,734 regional votes for the SNP resulted in only 2 regional seats.

637,131 regional votes for Conservative resulted in 26 regional seats.

485,819 regional votes for Labour resulted in 20 regional seats.

Mother Of God.

Unbelievable.

I couldn't understand how the Tories seemed to clear up in the South of Scotland with the SNP 2nd and they still only returned 1 seat? Yet everywhere else where the Tories finished 2nd they were getting 3/4 seats on the regional list. Bonkers system.

3 minutes ago, RAZOR said:

I certainly don't think you should be able to stand for the constituency seat and the regional list seat. Takes the piss.

Party leader should also have to win a constituency seat. Weak as piss from the linesman to sneak in through the back door.

Unbelievable.

I couldn't understand how the Tories seemed to clear up in the South of Scotland with the SNP 2nd and they still only returned 1 seat? Yet everywhere else where the Tories finished 2nd they were getting 3/4 seats on the regional list. Bonkers system.

Sarwar lost his constituency seat (up against sturgeon) then sneaked in through the list. 

Yeah fair play to him for going head to head with her. 

Harvie and Slater were the same. 

Not a fan of Willie Rennie but fair play to him for going out and winning his seat in a region surrounded by SNP. 

What happens with the Lib Dems could be amusing though. I believe you need at least 5 seats to be classed as an official party?

5 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Regardless of the fact he wasn't the founder, he chose to step forward as its figurehead. Sadly, many put their preconceptions about him ahead of critical thought about the merits of another pro-independence party. Whether he stays on is immaterial. Even if he retires tomorrow, the party has 2 Westminster MPs, defections from councils and around 5000 members, despite being only two months old. This story isn't over and there has to be somewhere to go for those who support independence and are wise to the bullshit the Murrells are peddling. 

I foresee a battle for the grassroots independence movement ahead and it won't end well for the Sturrell Mafia. Good riddance when their political demise comes. Independence campaigning can then resume in 2026.

Do you agree that MPs/MSPs can change parties and not have to face a by-election? I don't like that. I think the voters should get that choice as to whether or not Kenny MacAskill, for example, can sit in Westminster now and represent Alba. 

I'm not even sure what I think of the method up here where a list MSP might stand down/resign will then automatically be replaced by the next person that was on the list from their party.

14 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

Sarwar lost his constituency seat (up against sturgeon) then sneaked in through the list. 

At least he had balls to stand, and secured over 10,000 votes.

Don't begrudge his list seat.

Reckon that he will have more success grilling Nippy than Snout Nose?.

9 minutes ago, RAZOR said:

Yeah fair play to him for going head to head with her. 

Harvie and Slater were the same. 

Not a fan of Willie Rennie but fair play to him for going out and winning his seat in a region surrounded by SNP. 

What happens with the Lib Dems could be amusing though. I believe you need at least 5 seats to be classed as an official party?

They are still a party but they just don't have enough of a percentage of MSPs to be able to sit on the Parliamentary Bureau and have a say in how parliamentary business is scheduled. You need at least 5 MSPs. 

The business managers from each party meet on a weekly basis alongside the PO and officials to set out what the business shall take place in the month ahead. 

Parties are allocated a percentage of parliamentary time according to how many seats they have to decide on a debate they'd like to lead on. The Lib-Dems will get very little opportunities to lead one of those debates but the bureau will carve out a slot every so often to give them some time. 

When a party is allocated that time then it's their choice as to what topic(s) they decide they want to debate. Sometimes they'll use that time to have two short debates if it's unlikely they'll get another opportunity for a while. 

13 minutes ago, The Buzzard said:

Do you agree that MPs/MSPs can change parties and not have to face a by-election? I don't like that. I think the voters should get that choice as to whether or not Kenny MacAskill, for example, can sit in Westminster now and represent Alba. 

I'm not even sure what I think of the method up here where a list MSP might stand down/resign will then automatically be replaced by the next person that was on the list from their party.

Only the voters can decide, look at the bloke from Aberdeen, he resigned from the SNP due to allegations of perving but still sat as an independent.

In regards the Alba MPs, I'm confident that if there was a byelection tomorrow, MacAskill would be out of a job and probably split the vote and allow Labour back in.

14 minutes ago, RAZOR said:

An MSP can equally resign/get punted from their respective party and still coast through 5 years as an independent candidate.

Not right. Should mean a by-election.

Yep, has happened quite a lot over the 5 sessions of Parliament. Mark McDonald being a good example for you guys up in Aberdeen.