Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

Welcome back Stephen Glass

10 hours ago, Scotty_Toronto said:

Each players' career will be different. Fyvie also played the full 90 for Hibs in a Scottish Cup Final victory v Sevco.

Campbell has been improving every year.

If (as you say) 28 is around a players' peak, then we'd be foolish to throw Dean on the scrapheap at 20.

Yes, you're allowed, but can you say that this is as good as he'll ever be?

Or, you'd love to tell us "Told you so" more like.

I’ve not “thrown him on the scrap heap” m, I’ve already said I would love to be wrong about him but at the moment I just don’t see what others are supposedly seeing.

10 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

The bit about Stephen Glass may be true. It may not.

BUT... change was needed before we all died of boredom.

Sticking with McInnes was not an option. 

I’m not disputing that, McInnes’s position had become untenable. There was no coming back from where he was and things had gone stale.

9 hours ago, Tinyweelad said:

There was an obvious drive to push through Campbell from the youth to the first team. I don't really see where it all emanates from tbh as there's plenty similar kids that have gone as far as being regulars in the Scotland U21 setup who haven't featured as much.
I think McInnes had his favs within the youth ranks and Campbell was perhaps one of them. Bit like Ryan Jack - McInnes used to think the sun shone out of his decrepit hun asshole.
That he's been given a start right now ahead of (in my opinion) the far better overall player of McGeouch, is partly due to the possible policy of seeing what our youngsters are like. No coincidence that the likes of McKenzie and Ramsay have been give game time since McInnes was binned and had been previously lined up to go on loan with Atlanta 2.
I don't think there's a witch hunt for Campbell, but he loves a backwards and/or sideways pass and even allowing for his lack of experience in the 1st team, which may explain some of his mistakes, I just don't see he's what we need for next season. Rather than have him sat on the bench, I'd put him on loan to say, Atlanta for a while and give him game time. He may develop in the next year or so, but if you're comparing apples for apples, Ferguson and McRorie are light years ahead - only dropped way below their potential due to being played in daft positions and possibly due to taking the hump due after McInnes was known to be leaving/had left. They'll both come good especially if Glass plays Ferguson in a more advanced role.

Watch out, Del Monte will be crying into his coco pops after reading that.

I agree 100% btw. Just whenever I say it people foam at the mouth.

• Upvote 1

Campbell has the same things criticised on as Jack did when he was here that he passes sideways and backwards mainly. I have noticed a distinct change in Campbells game since Mcinnes left where he is spraying the ball forwards a lot more and he is also getting himself about the park more. Exactly the same as Jack when he left Mcinnes his game became more rounded, does nobody thinks that maybe Campbell has just been a young lad carrying out his managers instructions. I think Glass will love working with Deano and we will see him continue to grow as a player under the new management

• Upvote 6
6 minutes ago, Sheepo said:

Campbell has the same things criticised on as Jack did when he was here that he passes sideways and backwards mainly. I have noticed a distinct change in Campbells game since Mcinnes left where he is spraying the ball forwards a lot more and he is also getting himself about the park more. Exactly the same as Jack when he left Mcinnes his game became more rounded, does nobody thinks that maybe Campbell has just been a young lad carrying out his managers instructions. I think Glass will love working with Deano and we will see him continue to grow as a player under the new management

Exactly how I see it. 

Also, Campbell seems to have replaced Consi as the whipping boy for some since Consi got a couple of caps this season and they've laid off him a bit. 

Just now, Sheepo said:

Agree entirely.

I've seen Campbell play for Scotland a few times and he is a progressive, forward thinking player.  Clearly it's only age group Scotland football - but he was a driving force in some of the matches I saw.  I don't believe his game is just 'recycling possession'.   I think it's fairly obvious he was under instruction.

10 hours ago, Tinyweelad said:

There was an obvious drive to push through Campbell from the youth to the first team. I don't really see where it all emanates from tbh as there's plenty similar kids that have gone as far as being regulars in the Scotland U21 setup who haven't featured as much.
I think McInnes had his favs within the youth ranks and Campbell was perhaps one of them. Bit like Ryan Jack - McInnes used to think the sun shone out of his decrepit hun asshole.
That he's been given a start right now ahead of (in my opinion) the far better overall player of McGeouch, is partly due to the possible policy of seeing what our youngsters are like. No coincidence that the likes of McKenzie and Ramsay have been give game time since McInnes was binned and had been previously lined up to go on loan with Atlanta 2.
I don't think there's a witch hunt for Campbell, but he loves a backwards and/or sideways pass and even allowing for his lack of experience in the 1st team, which may explain some of his mistakes, I just don't see he's what we need for next season. Rather than have him sat on the bench, I'd put him on loan to say, Atlanta for a while and give him game time. He may develop in the next year or so, but if you're comparing apples for apples, Ferguson and McRorie are light years ahead - only dropped way below their potential due to being played in daft positions and possibly due to taking the hump due after McInnes was known to be leaving/had left. They'll both come good especially if Glass plays Ferguson in a more advanced role.

You mention McGeouch a lot. 

But the reality is that McGeouch has been here for over a year and has done nothing in a red shirt. 

Sadly he's entering Gleeson territory. 

34 minutes ago, Sheepo said:

27 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

Agree entirely.

I've seen Campbell play for Scotland a few times and he is a progressive, forward thinking player.  Clearly it's only age group Scotland football - but he was a driving force in some of the matches I saw.  I don't believe his game is just 'recycling possession'.   I think it's fairly obvious he was under instruction.

There's a hellavua difference between U16's and the SPFL though isn't there? Not saying he doesn't have potential in him, but why for example, did he not make the step up to U21 as McLennan has? And anyone playing in midfield has to take some responsibility themselves for understanding that a backwards pass to a centre half or full back will invariably see us lose possession in the next phase of hoofball. Did a young Eoin Jess make so many backwards passes? That for me is just lack of confidence. I'd actually fine players £100 for every unforced backwards pass they make... it boils my piss, even when watching some of the top sides in the World.

23 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

You mention McGeouch a lot. 

But the reality is that McGeouch has been here for over a year and has done nothing in a red shirt. 

Sadly he's entering Gleeson territory. 

McGeouch had a badly timed injury and when he was fit, was left on the bench in favour of others. When he has played, I think he shows his calibre. The Cup game last season for Red Shed (Dumbarton maybe?) - he died of death due to not being fit, but was one of the only guys who looked like giving a sh*t to get the game going.

20 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I regularly forget McGeouch is an Aberdeen player.

We certainly don't have the one that was at Hibs. But we probably do have the one who couldn't get a game for a Sunderland team who've been in League 1 about 3 seasons

We've never really been allowed to make an informed decision - McInnes, like many others of similar quality he bought and decided not to play - was one of the main reasons for our inconsistency. One thing's for sure, if I was McGeouch, I'd be hosed at not getting a game before the likes of Campbell.

Paper Talk, but worrying all the same

Give Brucie a contract as he's now aboot 30 done fuck, but was born in Thainstone Mart, so some fans think he deserves another 10 chances....there must be decent signings to come in, because teaming Brucie Bonus up we some reserve fae the likes o  Forest Green Rovers will just be a joke....I'll wait and see what materialises....

• Haha 1
  • Dildo 3
6 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

There's a hellavua difference between U16's and the SPFL though isn't there? Not saying he doesn't have potential in him, but why for example, did he not make the step up to U21 as McLennan has? And anyone playing in midfield has to take some responsibility themselves for understanding that a backwards pass to a centre half or full back will invariably see us lose possession in the next phase of hoofball. Did a young Eoin Jess make so many backwards passes? That for me is just lack of confidence. I'd actually fine players £100 for every unforced backwards pass they make... it boils my piss, even when watching some of the top sides in the World.

McGeouch had a badly timed injury and when he was fit, was left on the bench in favour of others. When he has played, I think he shows his calibre. The Cup game last season for Red Shed (Dumbarton maybe?) - he died of death due to not being fit, but was one of the only guys who looked like giving a sh*t to get the game going.

We've never really been allowed to make an informed decision - McInnes, like many others of similar quality he bought and decided not to play - was one of the main reasons for our inconsistency. One thing's for sure, if I was McGeouch, I'd be hosed at not getting a game before the likes of Campbell.

Interesting that you have a list of excuses for McGeouch, McCrorie and Ferguson but not for others. 

• Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Interesting that you have a list of excuses for McGeouch, McCrorie and Ferguson but not for others. 

Has Campbell been injured? Nope (edit - ok he was, but wasn't out for long). Did Campbell have to sit out a few games due to being caught up in Covid pish? Nope. Did Campbell start off in the side as probably our most influential player and then get told not to pass the halfway line? Nope.

I've maybe got more excuses for the others as they have undoubted talent which has not been visible of late. Dean, I'm one of those who the jury is still out on. I'm yet to see what all the fuss has been about. Had he not been a local loon with a sterling attitude, I doubt very much we'd be debating this.

Many moons ago, his old man, on his very forum, lambasted me for saying I didn't rate Scott Muirhead after a 20 min appearance. Scott, as you'll recall, went on to have a glittering career, lifting the Ballon d'Or and Champions League trophy many times. Perhaps not in the same ballpark, but I equally, don't see anything in Dean that suggests he'll be a stand out of a player going forward. We can put aside all sentiment when critiquing players in my opinion. Ultimately, it's what's good for AFC that matters and whether we see a side capable of winning leagues and trophies, that includes some of our young loons in it. My take on it is that's a no. Ferguson is the benchmark of what we should be looking at for a young kid asked to play each week. Otherwise we buy in players with undoubted talent and experience who know what it takes to win. Brown is a good starting point, even allowing for him being in the twilight of his career (as was Robson).

Just now, Tinyweelad said:

Has Campbell been injured? Nope. Did Campbell have to sit out a few games due to being caught up in Covid pish? Nope. Did Campbell start off in the side as probably our most influential player and then get told not to pass the halfway line? Nope.

I've maybe got more excuses for the others as they have undoubted talent which has not been visible of late. Dean, I'm one of those who the jury is still out on. I'm yet to see what all the fuss has been about. Had he not been a local loon with a sterling attitude, I doubt very much we'd be debating this.

Many moons ago, his old man, on his very forum, lambasted me for saying I didn't rate Scott Muirhead after a 20 min appearance. Scott, as you'll recall, went out to have a glittering career, lifting the Ballon d'Or and Champions League trophy many times. Perhaps not in the same ballpark, but I equally, don't see anything in Dean that suggests he'll be a stand out of a player going forward. We can put aside all sentiment when critiquing players in my opinion. Ultimately, it's what's good for AFC that matters and whether we see a side capable of winning leagues and trophies, that includes some of our young loons in it. My take on it is that's a no. Ferguson is the benchmark of what we should be looking at for a young kid asked to play each week. Otherwise we buy in players with undoubted talent and experience who know what it takes to win. Brown is a good starting point, even allowing for him being in the twilight of his career (as was Robson).

Ah so your issue is with Campbell's dad as he disagreed with your views on Muirhead. 

10 hours ago, donswin1983 said:

All coaches will have favourites. From what I’ve heard Campbell has a fantastic attitude and from what I’ve seen is clearly a talented player. I’ve been critical of him recently, due to the number of touches he takes when he doesn’t need to and the number of backwards and sideways passes. However, as others have said, he always shows for the ball, which says a lot in a team that is low on confidence and playing badly. Also, assuming his primary instinct is to play a positive pass, which I’m sure it is, then there is clearly very little movement in front of him. Therefore he either retains possession or just plays the ball into the channel, the latter of which he probably won’t have been coached to do as standard.

He will come good I reckon and will learn from SB, who will demand more from those around and in front of him. SB will help Ferguson too, who has been anonymous since the start of the year but is clearly talented.

I can see Ross M playing in a centre half role.

My mate takes his loon to Balgownie to train and says Campbell is there all the time doing additional training off his own back.

Some right bellends in our support that can't wait to get on the back of local youngsters.  Weird behaviour

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Ah so your issue is with Campbell's dad as he disagreed with your views on Muirhead. 

If only life was that petty. My issue is more with why we're playing Campbell ahead of McGeouch when it was obvious the team were in need of some experience in midfield. I'd love to see the next Jess being created from our youth ranks and if that's Dean, or someone I know from living in Kintore in the past in Ethan Ross, then brilliant.

Strikers, wingers, full backs.... all positions you get away with not being on point if you're a youngster. Midfield, centre halves and goalie - you are really in the spotlight. Dean needs to really shine and make a real difference if he's to keep his place going forward. Not seeing evidence of it.

4 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

If only life was that petty. My issue is more with why we're playing Campbell ahead of McGeouch when it was obvious the team were in need of some experience in midfield. I'd love to see the next Jess being created from our youth ranks and if that's Dean, or someone I know from living in Kintore in the past in Ethan Ross, then brilliant.

Strikers, wingers, full backs.... all positions you get away with not being on point if you're a youngster. Midfield, centre halves and goalie - you are really in the spotlight. Dean needs to really shine and make a real difference if he's to keep his place going forward. Not seeing evidence of it.

He has been lately. Been our best player in the past month. 

People’s issue is that you and other seems so desperate for him to fail so you’re proven right. Mental the abuse Campbell gets when the likes of McLennan are getting regular game time and look horrendous. Campbell gets singled out. 

It's not about being desperate for him to fail - quite the opposite. It's more about just not seeing the evidence. The worry is that those who think they can see something in him that would take us to being a top 100 European side or win a trophy might be the same sort of fan who thought, for example, Chris Clark merited 250+ games in a red jersey. AFC can't be a charity for mediocrity in the new Glass era...

12 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

McGeouch has done absolutely nothing in a Dons shirt and nothing since he left Hibs.  I'd far rather see one of our youth players get a run than a journeyman like him.

1 minute ago, RedRichard said:

It's not about being desperate for him to fail - quite the opposite. It's more about just not seeing the evidence. The worry is that those who think they can see something in him that would take us to being a top 100 European side or win a trophy might be the same sort of fan who thought, for example, Chris Clark merited 250+ games in a red jersey. AFC can't be a charity for mediocrity in the new Glass era...

Well seeing as you appear to be quite bitter about Campbell for whatever reason you surprise me that you say you are not desperate for him to fail.

He has had a run of games where he has improved unlike several other players who have been pretty poor for a long time. There are a lot more issues of concern than Campbell.

20 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

If only life was that petty. My issue is more with why we're playing Campbell ahead of McGeouch when it was obvious the team were in need of some experience in midfield.

Nae being funny but McGeouch played a handful of games for Celtic, played 2 out of 3 seasons for Hibs in the Championship then couldn't get a game for Sunderland in League 1. We aren't talking about a world beater being kept out of the team just like we aren't talking about Campbell being the next Patrick Vieira

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

38 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Think we can see you’re a Campbell fanboy who is incapable of objectivity.

29 minutes ago, NEM said:

My mate takes his loon to Balgownie to train and says Campbell is there all the time doing additional training off his own back.

Some right bellends in our support that can't wait to get on the back of local youngsters.  Weird behaviour

Good for him. Where Campbell is from has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on my opinion of him. I’m fairly sure it’s the same for the likes of tinyweelad etc. It’s a debate about whether he is good enough for a team that’s supposedly going to be looking to step up to the “next level”.

18 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

He has been lately. Been our best player in the past month. 

People’s issue is that you and other seems so desperate for him to fail so you’re proven right. Mental the abuse Campbell gets when the likes of McLennan are getting regular game time and look horrendous. Campbell gets singled out. 

Nobody is desperate for him to fail, why do you get so precious about Dean Campbell? The reason there’s debate over his ability etc is because people rightly or wrongly disagree over it. I think everyone is agreed McLennan is shite and wouldn’t be missed. If people think otherwise then it would be up for debate like Dean Campbell is. Do you understand?

14 minutes ago, RedRichard said:

Precisely. 

• Like 1
  • Dildo 1

I think basically most Aberdeen fans want to see us give young guys a chance rather than spend money on players who are no better than them. Campbell is an example of this. The likes of Scott Bain, Michael Rose and Jack Grimmer never got a chance at times when inferior or at best just as good players were signed.

I don't think we are going to agree and ultimately it's pointless whether we agree or not. I think we're all just bored and need a few pints. Stand free

17 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Tell me then.

Composure on the ball, passing ability, quite good in tight spaces. 

Had a very good tackle in our last game too which probably would've led to a goal if he hadn't.

He's definitely not the finished product yet, but he offers things that none of our current midfielders offer. Don't get why some seem keen to dump him out of the team, that's not how you develop young players.